Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the experience of others who have bought their Tiggys from other than a local dealer? I ordered mine from a dealer 150 miles away found via Carwow. I tried to get my local dealer close on price and would have paid a reasonable premium to put my business their way. However, the financial divide was just too much to not make the Carwow deal attractive.

I'll be travelling there on the day of collection by train, not buying using dealer finance so will be arranging and transferring the money across in advance. This puts me at a double disadvantage if there are any issues with the vehicle. a/ they will already have the cleared funds, b/ if I reject the car I'll have to get back on the train to get home.

Of course I'm hoping that it will all be perfect on collection and there won't be any problems. Any tales to tell, will I regret not buying locally?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Paid for mine on my debit card at collection after a good lookng at. Can you not?

·
Registered
463 Posts
You can go to any VW dealer for warranty. Eg. if away on holiday.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beagler said:
Paid for mine on my debit card at collection after a good lookng at. Can you not?
Dealer mentioned bank transfer, whilst this is usually only a matter of 2 hours max it would be reassuring to know it had gone though OK before making the journey. Got caught out on that years ago when buying our first Golf, my debit card was declined despite the funds being available. Irritating then and we lived in the same town as the dealership.

Negativepitch said:
The only thing I ever wondered about not buying local if theres anything wrong with it, or you get that very annoying rattle etc, where do you go?
Have already had this discussion with my local dealer, he confirmed that it didn't matter where we bought the car warranty and pre-purchased service plan wouldn't be an issue. Any snagging niggles of a new car might rankle them a little though. Precisely why I don't mind paying a premium for a local deal so long as it's within the realms of reasonable, which it wasn't.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Chas said:
Beagler said:
Dealer mentioned bank transfer, whilst this is usually only a matter of 2 hours max it would be reassuring to know it had gone though OK before making the journey. Got caught out on that years ago when buying our first Golf, my debit card was declined despite the funds being available. Irritating then and we lived in the same town as the dealership.

Negativepitch said:
The only thing I ever wondered about not buying local if theres anything wrong with it, or you get that very annoying rattle etc, where do you go?
Have already had this discussion with my local dealer, he confirmed that it didn't matter where we bought the car warranty and pre-purchased service plan wouldn't be an issue. Any snagging niggles of a new car might rankle them a little though. Precisely why I don't mind paying a premium for a local deal so long as it's within the realms of reasonable, which it wasn't.
My bank has a policy of a security checks by mobile but I forewarned them and it went through no probs. The cash part was £14k. Dont spend that on my debit card overy day :lol:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chas said:
What is the experience of others who have bought their Tiggys from other than a local dealer? I ordered mine from a dealer 150 miles away found via Carwow. I tried to get my local dealer close on price and would have paid a reasonable premium to put my business their way. However, the financial divide was just too much to not make the Carwow deal attractive.

I'll be travelling there on the day of collection by train, not buying using dealer finance so will be arranging and transferring the money across in advance. This puts me at a double disadvantage if there are any issues with the vehicle. a/ they will already have the cleared funds, b/ if I reject the car I'll have to get back on the train to get home.

Of course I'm hoping that it will all be perfect on collection and there won't be any problems. Any tales to tell, will I regret not buying locally?
chas if you put fuel in my car we could posibly work something out to get yo to your new car, I'm in the vale of Evesham so not that far from you

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Miket said:
chas if you put fuel in my car we could posibly work something out to get yo to your new car, I'm in the vale of Evesham so not that far from you
That's a very generous offer, thank you. Using the train isn't really an issue and not that expensive if you buy a ticket to Birmingham and then another from there to Doncaster, odd that. This gives me the flexibility of getting notification from the dealer and just being able to go. Collection will be late April or 2nd week in May, hopefully no later. If I have to come back empty handed then I'll have to deal with that on the day I suppose. Trying to maintain a 'glass half full' attitude on this but some of the accounts I hear on here about issues when collecting start to make me think that using a local dealer, despite the higher cost, might have been the better option. However, I'm committed to the car I've ordered so will tough it out.

I'll keep your offer in mind though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can the dealer not arrange for it to be completed at your local dealership? Like the car is delivered locally but sale goes through the Doncaster dealership?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chas said:
Miket said:
That's a very generous offer, thank you. Using the train isn't really an issue and not that expensive if you buy a ticket to Birmingham and then another from there to Doncaster, odd that. This gives me the flexibility of getting notification from the dealer and just being able to go. Collection will be late April or 2nd week in May, hopefully no later. If I have to come back empty handed then I'll have to deal with that on the day I suppose. Trying to maintain a 'glass half full' attitude on this but some of the accounts I hear on here about issues when collecting start to make me think that using a local dealer, despite the higher cost, might have been the better option. However, I'm committed to the car I've ordered so will tough it out.

I'll keep your offer in mind though.
The offers there, I'm retired so any day no problem and if need be you could come to honeybourn on train and I can collect you from there
I really don't think there will be any problems with the car your picking up though, but then you local vw dealer should sort out if there is

·
Registered
151 Posts
Paying by debit card is much the simpler and safer way than bank transfer. I am sure the dealer said bank transfer because there is no going back whereas with debit card you decide when to do it. I telephoned my bank the day before and they did say they usually don't query garage large transactions as they are common. However telephoning does guarantee it should be accepted as they put a marker on account. Even if it wasn't it is just a quick call to clear it. Mine was almost £20k and no problem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have always paid for my cars with debit card, deposit via credit card , never ever had I problem. Tip ring your bank tell em what you are doing and give them a 2 hr window of when deal will be going threw I t's worked for me these past 12. Years Lloyds Bank

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all, debit card sounds like the way to go then, with a pre-emptive call to the bank the day before.

Miket, you have a PM :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've ordered mine from Doncaster too, with collection hopefully 3rd/4th week in April so if mine is ready before yours I will report back on here how (hopefully) smoothly it went!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
coolerking said:
I've ordered mine from Doncaster too, with collection hopefully 3rd/4th week in April so if mine is ready before yours I will report back on here how (hopefully) smoothly it went!
Thanks coolerking, that would be great. Hoping that, for your sake as well as mine, that your experience is a good one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.