Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - newbie here.

Trying to place an order for a new Tiguan in SEL 4Motion DSG spec, but can't seem to get 100% confirmation of what the towing capacity is for the 150ps and 190 ps diesel engines are. The VW brochure says it's 2200-2500kg dependent on specification, but when the salesperson checked the comparison app on their iPad, it had the 150ps coming out as 2500kg and the 190ps as 2200kg. And then today, he has just emailed me saying it's the other way round (like you would expect it to be for a car with more power and torque) so don't know what to believe!! I need the larger towing capacity as it's for horses, so really have to get this one crucial detail right.

Hoping someone on here knows why the confusion, but more importantly what the actual figures are.

Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Found this online:

Swivelling towbar with electric release. With 13-pin connection and 12 electrified poles providing vehicle lighting plus additional power supply for caravan auxiliary battery charger, internal trailer lighting and fridge. Maximum towing weight 2.5 tons 1 depending on engine

1 Maximum towing weight is dependent on vehicle specific equipment. The exact towing weights of individually configured vehicles, if required, must be obtained from the manufacturer before the purchase order is completed.

It really depends on the exact specification of the car as that determines the exact weight of the car.
One things for sure theTiggie is well able to tow a horse box .

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi granco And welcome.....Some months back I raised this question somewhere on this forum for the 190 ps 2.0 ltr Diesel vehicle weights. Some very helpful person on the forum gave me these figures for towing........(Top no) Gross vehicle weight -----2320 kg. (second no) Gross train weight----4825 kg

So... GTW 4825 kg
GVW -2320 kg (minus)
= 2505 kg which 2505 is the legal limit you can tow ps not law but recommendation by Caravan Club, AA etc if inexperienced they advise
towing at the 85% rule which would be 2100 kg
I'm hoping I've worked these figures out correctly as sometime next year I want to upgrade my caravan to a twin axle
Chris

·
Registered
207 Posts
stumpy said:
Hi granco And welcome.....Some months back I raised this question somewhere on this forum for the 190 ps 2.0 ltr Diesel vehicle weights. Some very helpful person on the forum gave me these figures for towing........(Top no) Gross vehicle weight -----2320 kg. (second no) Gross train weight----4825 kg

So... GTW 4825 kg
GVW -2320 kg (minus)
= 2505 kg which 2505 is the legal limit you can tow ps not law but recommendation by Caravan Club, AA etc if inexperienced they advise
I'm hoping I've worked these figures out correctly as sometime next year I want to upgrade my caravan to a twin axle
Chris
Chris
I think your calculation is incorrect.
85% recommend towing limit is on vehicle weight which is 1972 kg. Still plenty of margin, but just in case you want to stick to 85%.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Roy said:
stumpy said:

So... GTW 4825 kg
GVW -2320 kg (minus)
Chris
Chris
I think your calculation is incorrect.
85% recommend towing limit is on vehicle weight which is 1972 kg. Still plenty of margin, but just in case you want to stick to 85%.
Cheers
Roy
Hi Roy..these figures were from the plate in the engine bay or boot on the DSG 190 ps (140 kw) it should read 2129 (85%).....having said that...am I wrong in how I work out my sum vehicle weights , as above should I work on the Kerb weight? mind you I should be well in as The bigger caravan may well be under 1950 kg and it wouldn't bother me going over the 85% if I had to. Thanks for the advice Roy and anymore info mate ps... I prefer to go off the plate info on the vehicle rather than the handbook for the figures

·
Registered
207 Posts
Chris
Sorry I now realise my figure is a bit misleading. 1972kg is 85% of your calculated gvw of 2320kg. Never quite sure if gvw and kerbside weight are the same. Must admit I haven't checked my kerbside weight, although do have label on door pillar with 2320 and 4820kgs printed, but then my van is below 1500kg. So well within towing limits.
You also get a lot of caravan at 2000kg, unless of course your planning on towing something like our traveller friends have - but then you would need a transit. :lol:
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Roy said:
Chris
Sorry I now realise my figure is a bit misleading. 1972kg is 85% of your calculated gvw of 2320kg. Never quite sure if gvw and kerbside weight are the same. Must admit I haven't checked my kerbside weight, although do have label on door pillar with 2320 and 4820kgs printed, but then my van is below 1500kg. So well within towing limits.
You also get a lot of caravan at 2000kg, unless of course your planning on towing something like our traveller friends have - but then you would need a transit. :lol:
Cheers
Roy
haha..... No mate not planning on going that big ;) , but as you say you can get a lot of caravan up to 2000 Kg. Her indoors wants a rear Island bed... :|

1 - 9 of 9 Posts