Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got CarNet connecting without issues using an iPhone?
Every time I want to use it usually i have to delete my phone and get it to reconnect.
Its the most unreliable piece of technology i've ever had.

G

·
Funny you should say that as my HTC10 has similar issues.

Connect to hotspot no issue, use it for a periods of time perfect.
Try to reconnect to saved hotspot, no chance. Connect to hotspot again great all over again.
Complain to VW, known issue with HTC, it won't reconnect to saved hotspot like bluetooth so have to enter passkey every time to connect.
Total pants, good job I only use it for live traffic updates

·
Registered
41 Posts
When you say delete + reconnect do you mean the Wifi Hotspot connection ?

Im using an iPhone and had no probs with the wifi connection, i enable the personal hotspot and the car has so far been fine

Is that the method you are using ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rduk said:

Im using an iPhone and had no probs with the wifi connection, i enable the personal hotspot and the car has so far been fine

Yes, you can connect first time, after that the iPhone is greyed out.
The quickest way is to delete the iPhone and use search to connect again, this as 6+ with latest OS on it.

G

·
yetirider said:
rduk said:

Yes, you can connect first time, after that the iPhone is greyed out. Same as HTC
The quickest way is to delete the iPhone and use search to connect again, this as 6+ with latest OS on it.Same as HTC every connection has to be treated as a new connection
See above in bold, seems it is not just the HTC that has an issue re-connecting to a saved hotspot.

I had 8 of the same saved hotspots in the head unit at one point the only option was to delete them rather than connect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wander if this is software related, based on me having red needles on my dials and build date of May 2016, i suspect i may have older software than some of you

I've used an iPhone 6 with IOS10 and my work phone is an old Samsung Android phone and both have been good so far... One for the dealers i suspect ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I connect with iPhone6. Wifi on phone must be switched on (it doesn't use Bluetooth to connect), and it only connects when I have the personal hotspot page open in settings on the phone. Hope this helps.

G

·
My car is May 2016, VW told me it was a known HTC issue and didn't offer any software updates. Head-unit indicates there are no updates available when checked and connected to WIFI.

If hotspot is on it does not automatically connect, it has to be set up again by entering the passkey every time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smart67 said:
I connect with iPhone6. Wifi on phone must be switched on (it doesn't use Bluetooth to connect), and it only connects when I have the personal hotspot page open in settings on the phone. Hope this helps.
I've tried that once and it seemed to work, not instant, guess you just have to wait a min or 2 for the connections to start.
I'll do some more testing.

Cheers Phil

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've done this three times now, always leave hot spot on, go to the car with the hotspot screen open, connects every time.
Bit of a fat but a lot easier that deleting and re-finding.

Cheers for that.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Smart67 said:
Mine too, connects to my iPhone via tethering no problem but when i next get in I have to go into the iPhone settings -> tethering before it will activate again (even though tethering is still on), if I dont it says no WLAN available. Which basically means you don't use it as often as you might as you have to have gone into tethering on the ph

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,

I've connected the car to Car Net, actually had it working :) Once Thou.

On the head unit it has the wifi symbol shown in the top row. I'm pushing Menu going into Car Net and it's saying unable to connect WLAN error message. I'll try to delete the iPhone 6s+ off the listings.

If you have to delete and re-instal everytime it'll be pain in the bumper :oops:

To get Google Earth on Maps is this through Car Net?????

Many thanks

Brian ( Watford Tig)

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
SlimPollack said:
WatfordTig said:
To get Google Earth on Maps is this through Car Net?????
Hi Brian,
Unfortunately I don't know the specs of your car but to use Google Earth, Discover Pro satnav is required.
More here:
http://volkswagen-carnet.com/int/en/start/app-overview/guide-inform/mod_googleearth.html?carModel=952de9d0-f0e4-4980-8963-9a6859f26316#tab/open/56e308dc-a6dd-4bd8-87b5-7b699f8905b8
HI Slim Pollack,

It looks the same as the link picture, its the standard R LINE fitted unit if that helps?

Regards
Brian (watford tig)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Samsung S7 and have the same problems described. Car-net connected on the day my Tiguan arrived, but hasnt worked since. VW tried to fob me off saying "it only really works if you have full bars of service". I retorted, "Connect it to your Wi-Fi and see if it works". Following that simple test (*in VW's workshop) it would appear that Car-net doesn't actually work. I have collected my car while VW "escalate to their head office".

If the matter isnt resolved to my satisfaction, I will take this up with trading standards or other relevant body. I'll update the forum in due course.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Our Motorola mobile won't connect inside the car with 75% signal strength showing, but it connects seemlessly to our home wifi signal 20m away, and only showing a single 'spot' at the bottom of the signal strength fan.

Suggests Car-net works, but not regularly with mobiles

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.