Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since we have a new baby and the boot space in my 3 series BMW is awful we are thinking of changing the car. I am looking at the Skoda Karoq but that is actually quite close in price to the Tiguan. Therefore I am considering paying a little more and going for the Tiguan. I see there are 2 main petrol engines 1.5 and 2.0 TSI and I am unsure which to go for. Is the 1.5 powerful enough to pull an SUV size car around? Is one engine more reliable than the other?
Also, I read that some DSG gearboxes had some issues (so called "dry" dsg) and I am not sure which one the Tiguan has. Are the DSGs usually unreliable? I always had manual cars but after 15 years I am thinking to move to an auto but I am afraid to have serious issues (I don't mind extra maintenance costs but actual problems where the car is rendered undrivable and will cost me thousands to repair)

I am looking at 2018-2019 models.

Any opinions from owners are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have a 2.0 TSI (190PS) on order. It was a bit of a leap of faith as there were none available to test drive.

I did try a 1.5 TSI (150PS) and was pleasantly surprised. It's not going to be sparking but then neither is the 190PS, it is not that sort of car.

I went with the 190PS for two reasons
  • My current car is a BMW 3 Series Diesel (190PS)
  • The other car, technically my wife's but we share both is a Nissan Leaf EV
I'm not a boy racer, but both of these cars are quick off the mark (for my needs) so I was concerned that the 150PS Tiguan would be too much of a step down. I guess over time the memory of the BMW would fade and I would get used to the 150PS if it were not for regular swapping between the Leaf and the Tiguan. I was worried that I would prefer driving the Leaf.

What BMW 3 are you coming from?

I'm also expecting a hit on fuel consumption, my BMW easily does 49 mpg on average, maybe up to 60 mpg on gentle long drives. From what I've heard the Tiguan 150PS is more like 35 mpg on average and the 190PS more like 30 mpg.

If you get the opportunity I would test drive both engines.

Remember as well that on test drives the car won't be loaded up and make sure you find some hills on the test route.

• Helpful
Reactions: mrew42

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have both the Karoq and the Tiguan - both in 1.5 petrol FWD with 7 speed DSG. The 150hp power of the engine is perfectly adequate for the size and type of car - you say they are SUVs, but really size wise, these cars are not that much bigger or heavier than a traditional hatchback or estate.

The Tiguan is Elegance trim level and the Karoq is SEL trim level

Tiguan feels more substantial and a little comfier to drive, but I suspect that is down to the low profile tyres as fitted to my Karoq. The boot is bigger on the Tiguan also and it is better specification overall

I really like them both and the Karoq is a nice, unassuming car, and is solidly built. I got it in January as a car in stock on a super cheap lease deal from Zen Auto for a 2 year deal, meaning I got a brand new car, which will probably need serviced once before I hand it back in Dec 2023.

Look into extended warranties for the cars and see what they cover gearbox wise - I think VW main dealers provide 2 years warranty on used cars they sell, but best check the fine print

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Reactions: A1VWD

·
Registered
148 Posts
1,5 tsi engine 150ps petrol is just adeguate for the 1600 kgs of the Tiguan. If the car is loaded or you're in 3 or 4 occupants, then i would say it's quite slow with not enough torque to overtake safely. Bear in mind though that this comes from someone that always liked fast cars and is a bit vivid in his driving style. From all reports 1.5 tsi is reliable and recent dsgs (the dq381 tiguan comes with) is much more reliable than all previous dsg versions. I own the 2.0 tsi 245 hp . If you can go for it and plan to keep the car for a long period of time, i would say it's the engine that's more suitable for the heavy suv that tiguan is. A joy to drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What BMW 3 are you coming from?

I'm also expecting a hit on fuel consumption, my BMW easily does 49 mpg on average, maybe up to 60 mpg on gentle long drives. From what I've heard the Tiguan 150PS is more like 35 mpg on average and the 190PS more like 30 mpg.
My BMW is a little older, it's a 3.0L MSport E90 the non-turbo one (~250bhp). This one is quite thirsty so I doubt even the 2.0L Tiguan will come even close to the bimmer in terms of fuel consumption. I will probably try to find a 2.0TSI to book a test drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have both the Karoq and the Tiguan - both in 1.5 petrol FWD with 7 speed DSG. The 150hp power of the engine is perfectly adequate for the size and type of car - you say they are SUVs, but really size wise, these cars are not that much bigger or heavier than a traditional hatchback or estate.

The Tiguan is Elegance trim level and the Karoq is SEL trim level

Tiguan feels more substantial and a little comfier to drive, but I suspect that is down to the low profile tyres as fitted to my Karoq. The boot is bigger on the Tiguan also and it is better specification overall

I really like them both and the Karoq is a nice, unassuming car, and is solidly built. I got it in January as a car in stock on a super cheap lease deal from Zen Auto for a 2 year deal, meaning I got a brand new car, which will probably need serviced once before I hand it back in Dec 2023.

Look into extended warranties for the cars and see what they cover gearbox wise - I think VW main dealers provide 2 years warranty on used cars they sell, but best check the fine print
That Karoq looks beautiful. I am a little put off by the Karoq because I read on a dedicated forum that they had some issue with the DSG and that was fixed in later years but I don't know which ones have the troublesome DSG. I am looking at 2018-2019 both for the Skoda and the Tiguan. One solution would be to go straight for the Skoda Karoq SportLine which is 4x4 and has an improved DSG model which is more reliable but then the price is very close or the same as the Tiguan which I feel is like an upgraded version of the Karoq.
In any case, hopefully I can find one at a decent price at a VW dealearship that comes with some warranty.

Any other reliability issues I should be aware of? I am quite used to german cars' high maintenance costs from the BMW. Hopefully is not as unreliable as that was.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I believe the version of the DSG gearbox used in the Tiguan and Karoq with both the 1.5 and 2.0 engines is the DQ381 - it is a 'wet clutch' system instead of the more troublesome 'dry clutch' systems

Explanation: Dual-clutch gearbox (DSG)

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the 2.0l 190 PS Elegance and would say the power is just about right - not a sports car by any stretch of the imagination but a good balance of power, even when loaded. When new it felt a little sluggish but after a thousand or so miles it loosened up nicely. I haven't driven the 150 PS in a Tiguan but I have in a Golf, so can't give first hand comparison in the same chassis. In the Golf I found it a little underwhelming. When I placed my order I originally ordered the 150, despite my reservations, but bottled it and changed my order shortly afterwards as after thinking about it decided I just wouldn't be happy with the 150. On balance I'm pleased with my decision. It was more costly, obviously, but was a dream to drive in a recent 1500 mile trip round France.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe the version of the DSG gearbox used in the Tiguan and Karoq with both the 1.5 and 2.0 engines is the DQ381 - it is a 'wet clutch' system instead of the more troublesome 'dry clutch' systems

On a Skoda specific forum I found that on all the 1.5 Karoqs the DSG is the DQ200. They said they fixed the issues on that gearbox but the code remained the same (apparently something to do with the type of oil VAG used in the early produced DQ200). All the 2.0 TSI (skodas or vw tiguan) have the 381 apparently. I tried looking up on google but this specific information is not as easy to find as I would have hoped. In any case, I will most likely go for the 2.0 and 4x4 version anyway based on what people said here and considering I am coming down from a more powerful and lighter car. I don't intend to drive aggressively in any way but still would like to have a decent amount of power.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have the 1.5 Tiguan. It’s ok. Moves fine and will easily do legal speeds. Is it a “fun” car to drive? No. But it’s not designed to be.

Our car is averaging 31mpg but the wife does a 4 mile trip to work and back so it won’t achieve loads. On a motorway run I got 42mpg.

If I could click my fingers I’d have got the 190/245 just because the R line looks so good it feels a bit sad with a 1.5 in it 😂

·
Registered
195 Posts
Both engines are reliable but the 2.0 is the one to buy. It offers better power and is quite reasonable to run.
The 1.5 is ok but is quite gutless for the size of vehicle.
Many people buy the smaller engine but live to regret not going for the larger one.

The dsg box is fine especially when paired to the 2.0 engine.
Just make sure the services have been completed and it drives well on the test drive. The gears should move up and down without any noise or delay.

Hope you find the correct car.

·
Registered
R Line Tech 1.5tsi dsg in Deep Pearl Black
113 Posts

The DSG gearbox is made by Skoda for SEAT and VW cars so what ever of these you choose you know where it comes from

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi,

Since we have a new baby and the boot space in my 3 series BMW is awful we are thinking of changing the car. I am looking at the Skoda Karoq but that is actually quite close in price to the Tiguan. Therefore I am considering paying a little more and going for the Tiguan. I see there are 2 main petrol engines 1.5 and 2.0 TSI and I am unsure which to go for. Is the 1.5 powerful enough to pull an SUV size car around? Is one engine more reliable than the other?
Also, I read that some DSG gearboxes had some issues (so called "dry" dsg) and I am not sure which one the Tiguan has. Are the DSGs usually unreliable? I always had manual cars but after 15 years I am thinking to move to an auto but I am afraid to have serious issues (I don't mind extra maintenance costs but actual problems where the car is rendered undrivable and will cost me thousands to repair)

I am looking at 2018-2019 models.

Any opinions from owners are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
I currently have a Tiguan R Line tech with the 1.5tsi 150 dsg and it suits me just fine, before that I had an early SEAT Ateca 1.4tsi dsg and that was fine as well, the Ateca is built in the same factory as the Skoda Karoq and share many parts so both are good cars, each brand however offer different levels equipment as standard so it will pay to have a good look at all that is offered

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Interesting about the gearbox, does Audi use the DSG too?
Still don’t think there’s a better auto than the ZF BMW boxes.

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,602 Posts

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,602 Posts
Still don’t think there’s a better auto than the ZF BMW boxes.
Audi also use the DSG but they generally call it S Tronic instead.

Have to agree about the BMW ZF auto boxes, absolutely superb auto boxes.

Reactions: Sparkie1984

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Still don’t think there’s a better auto than the ZF BMW boxes
Audi also use the DSG but they generally call it S Tronic instead.

Have to agree about the BMW ZF auto boxes, absolutely superb auto boxes.
when I went from a ZF to my last tiggy DSG thought I’d made a huge mistake as it was complete garbage compared. The new car is much smoother thankfully. Still not close to the ZF but much better than the last.

Couldn’t have a manual again now

·
Registered
113 Posts
The DSG is a BorgWarner product manufactured under licence by Volkswagen Group (VWG), but it is not specifically made by Skoda, but by VWG as a group.

BorgWarner builds a better DSG | Autoblog
I stated Skoda built the dsg gearbox as that is what we told during Skoda history training in 2017 when I was at the VAG National Learning Centre in Milton Keynes, I can only blame my instructor for incorrect teaching

·
Registered
113 Posts
Still don’t think there’s a better auto than the ZF BMW boxes

when I went from a ZF to my last tiggy DSG thought I’d made a huge mistake as it was complete garbage compared. The new car is much smoother thankfully. Still not close to the ZF but much better than the last.

Couldn’t have a manual again now
I couldnt have a manual again either although the Ford Transit school mini bus I drive is and can be quite hard work at times

·
Registered
309 Posts
Choice also depends on what type of driving you do. I’ve driven both. 1.5 would have been the choice if I was mainly town driving. Was great around town, but just lacked a little for me on the motorway. So bought the 2.0 190. A bit heavy on the fuel around town, but smooth and steady on the motorway with enough kick when you need it, but still managed over 40mpg on a 250 mile run on Monday

1 - 20 of 39 Posts