Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK have had three punctures already in the car, not even 1100 miles on the clock. Never had so many punctures in all my life of driving... :geek:

The tyres are contiseal, tyre has a sticky, gum-like sealant layer that is inside the tyre in the tread area. It provides an almost instantaneous seal around any penetrating object (up to 5mm diameter in the tread area) in order to trap the air inside, keep the tyre inflated and you mobile, without any inconvenient roadside tyre change.

Well I took the car into local Kwikfit and told tyre is not able to be repaired due to the gunk inside tyre and pressured to buy new without any further discussion.
Went over to my local independent tyre shop, the chap couldn't have been more helpful. Took the tyre off the rim and showed me exactly what was involved. Very sticky inner lining covering the tread area. He pulled the screw out of the tyre and it self sealed, replaced the tyre back onto the rim, full pressure and checked for leaks etc.. Offered to pay, but chap just said come back again if tyre goes down and he will be happy to source a tyre for me at those sort of prices. We reset the tyre monitoring system and touch wood, have not had any problems so far, 100 miles or so later.

We both agreed that as the tyres are monitored and this was a rear offside wheel and that the R line has a spare steel wheel, the worst case scenario would be a slow puncture and that I could put on the spare wheel and get back to him. But at £220 each and practically brand new, I'm really wanting to get some wear out of it. Not quite the 'if it ain't broken leave it' as I'm aware it's been compromised, but the tyre is staying firm as we speak.

Any thoughts from fellow drivers, would you bother with contiseal or just opt for normal repairable tyres, seeing I've got a spare wheel.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm aware that they can top up the gunk in the tyre as well depending again on what was removed, I was wondering myself about the cost difference? One chap on here did say the ride was better on normal tyres??? But at moment the Pirrell self seals seem ok for ride comfort at the moment :shock:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I had a similar problem over Christmas which I posted on the forum then....I will try and find the link for you

G

·
To be honest I haven't had any punctures but to get only 6K miles out of a set of tyres is pretty poor. My old Octavia VRs did better than this at 9K.

I really don't rate the Sport 5's on the new Tig.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi stumpy I see you had the exact same problem. Further question to you, how long did the punctured tyre last or are you still driving on it. I see no reason not to think the self sealing gunk is no different to a puncture 'plug' put into a standard repair. I just need to get my head round the idea it's now normal to have 'gunk'. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi hantshog.......The guy I know at the tyre place where I have been going to him for near on 30 yrs, showed me in great detail once he had taken the tyre off and showed me the self sealing gunk inside. He did add a tiny little bit more gunk over the punctured area...just to please me I think, as I was unsure :roll: :oops: ....but true to form...tyre inflated put back on and then re-set tyre monitor in car....(no charge :) ) Had no loss of pressure, in actual fact I had forgotten about it....so all good...did what it was meant to do, very happy :) :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ps where are you based...anywhere near me :?: :?:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to add to original post, I was at Quikfit today and they have now had an internal memo that states they can/will repair the Contiseal tyres, just like any normal tyre. Good news then, as they are rather expensive.

My existing tyre with the screw removed has stayed up with no problems without any repair.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
Kwikfit did repair my Pirelli Scorpion verde self seal a few weeks ago. The guy said then that they were now able to repair self-seal tyres. However it took their head guy around an hour to remove enough gunk to get a good surface for a patch.

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Essjay said:
Kwikfit did repair my Pirelli Scorpion verde self seal a few weeks ago. The guy said then that they were now able to repair self-seal tyres. However it took their head guy around an hour to remove enough gunk to get a good surface for a patch.

Steve
Depending on size of hole/gash Steve, if normal screw/ nail puncture, they are what they say 'self-seal' with the gunk inside. No need to clear gunk away to put a patch on ......unless, quite a substantial puncture. At least one thing though, getting a patch fitted.....you get peace of mind ;) ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
hantshog said:
OK have had three punctures already in the car, not even 1100 miles on the clock. Never had so many punctures in all my life of driving... :geek:

The tyres are contiseal, tyre has a sticky, gum-like sealant layer that is inside the tyre in the tread area. It provides an almost instantaneous seal around any penetrating object (up to 5mm diameter in the tread area) in order to trap the air inside, keep the tyre inflated and you mobile, without any inconvenient roadside tyre change.

Well I took the car into local Kwikfit and told tyre is not able to be repaired due to the gunk inside tyre and pressured to buy new without any further discussion.
Went over to my local independent tyre shop, the chap couldn't have been more helpful. Took the tyre off the rim and showed me exactly what was involved. Very sticky inner lining covering the tread area. He pulled the screw out of the tyre and it self sealed, replaced the tyre back onto the rim, full pressure and checked for leaks etc.. Offered to pay, but chap just said come back again if tyre goes down and he will be happy to source a tyre for me at those sort of prices. We reset the tyre monitoring system and touch wood, have not had any problems so far, 100 miles or so later.

We both agreed that as the tyres are monitored and this was a rear offside wheel and that the R line has a spare steel wheel, the worst case scenario would be a slow puncture and that I could put on the spare wheel and get back to him. But at £220 each and practically brand new, I'm really wanting to get some wear out of it. Not quite the 'if it ain't broken leave it' as I'm aware it's been compromised, but the tyre is staying firm as we speak.

Any thoughts from fellow drivers, would you bother with contiseal or just opt for normal repairable tyres, seeing I've got a spare wheel.
Sorry to hear you had so many issues! The problem with many tyres on these types of new cars is that seem to pick up all sorts of shrapnel along the way... How has your tyre held up in the months following the pucture?

Ours came with Continental Contact Sport 5 too and I can also confirm that the "Contiseal" layer insider the tyre worked for us after we recently had our first puncture. The tyre resealed itself with no further loss of air and we managed to drive from Cheltenham to London without any problems.

Having spoken to a few a tyre professionals, they all recommended getting the tyre repaired as Contiseal is not really designed to be a permanent solution. This link also supports that school of thought: https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/1075570/b558527bb2b24fbff4765efaaa85b34a/contiseal-repair-download-data.pdf

Being fairly risk averse, we had our tyre repaired (can't put a price on peace of mind!) especially as we had a 400 mile road trip coming up a few days later. Whilst these tyres are great, at c.£250 a pop we'll think twice about going for the same again when it comes to replacing them!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Wolfwagon Thank you for that link. I guess a standard repair procedure for any puncture.

I can confirm my own rear tyre has stayed up firm with no loss of air and has been no problem, 9 months ago.

I would admit a repair plug would have been my preferred option, but no one was prepared to do that at that time.

Now knowing a repair can be carried out, I might be able to justify another contiseal. However, you have to be pretty on the ball to spot you have a problem in the first place. The fact that the tyre is not flat, means you don't necessarily look for a problem. I only heard the 'click click' when driving along - thought it was a small stone from my drive stuck in the tread, only on closer examination (looking for stone) I came across the screw.

Cheapest tyre I can find is ASDA at £149, but not a brand I know and not a self seal. Still, offset that for having to pull over late at night in the pouring rain, somewhere remote to change a wheel, may have some influence in going for the contiseal!

I guess the more tigs on the road and demand increases, the tyre price will drop and competitors will force the price down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same issue with the factory Pirellis three punctures in 3months written off as unrepairables by local tyre dealer , I have opted for a pair of michellins without the self seal coating as they seem more inclined to do repairs on these fingers crossed . Seems to down to down to bad luck and building work near my local carpark at work as they were all plaster screws. I did wonder if the tread pattern curved over the edge of the tyre might drag the screws into the tyre more .

G

·
Few months back I had the same issue with Kwikfit in Glasgow area, said they couldn't repair and wanted to change the tyre, it had only done 8000 miles with plenty of tread remaining, I went to national tyres who done the repair without hesitation.done 10,000 miles since no problem with the repaired tyre.

From this experience kiwkfit wouldn't be my first choice when I have tyre requirements

1 - 14 of 14 Posts