Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New to the forum so let me introduce myself - I am Paul from the Lake District... My Mrs collected her R-Line 3 March, 180tsi DSG with full leather and keyless entry/start with electric boot - here's a pic as I know all forums love pics!

Unfortunately today we picked up a flat, thought no problem I'll whip the wheel off, get the space saver on and have a look to see if it can be plugged as I thought these were just normal tyres.

I found a screw hole in the centre of the tyre which I thought great, good place for it to be repaired. Anyway only place which was still open was Kwik Fit so I popped in. To my surprise they tell me this is a self sealing tyre and it cannot be plugged.

I tried to complain to my dealer that this self sealing tyre has obviously failed in what it's supposed to do as it has not sealed. Unfortunately they were having none of this and said I would have to take up with Continental.

My dealer also said even if the tyre had sealed it would need to be replaced anyway as it is only designed to get you somewhere to get the tyre replaced, is this correct as I can't find anything online stating this from Continental.

Considering there is a space saver in the car I cannot work out why standard tyres haven't been fitted, doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone have any advice as £225 every time it picks up a flat is going to sting a little. Just got rid of our 535d which were £345 per run flat so thought I had seen the back of daft prices even for something as simple to repair as a nail in the tyre treads.

Cheers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As Miket had linked to my original thread, same problem.
I will not be having contiseal again as I would prefer to physically repair the tyre with a glued in plug.

My tyre has stayed up and still no problems but still thinking I'm going to start off in the morning with a flat tyre.

Asda and and Black circles have caught up with supplying the 255 40R 20 WXL tyre size and quoting for basic tyres, £86.03 and £78.54.

Appreciate these are the basic tyres, but I'm always willing to try them, despite all the hype regarding safety/noise/grip/wet/tea making facilities/etc. that comes when choosing tyres. Cost normally sways me :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest I haven't driven it that much but when I have lovely car, felt solid and really sure footed with the 4motion on wet muddy roads.

The self seal obviously hasn't worked on our tyre, I can see where the screw went in and where the air exits the tyre. I even thought about inflating the tyre and quickly sticking another screw through the same home - in the hope this screw might activate the self sealing?

I'm just wondering how fitting a single standard tyre would affect handing when the 3 other would be self sealing, and I assume heavier. When I tried a single standard tyre on my BMW this affected the ride horribly as the 3 others were running run flats.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If I were you wedg, I would dump the run flats at first available/economically feasible oppurtunity, given you have a spare wheel.

I changed all on my BMW's . Not only cheaper tyres , but better ride too! However, I did manage to rotate them so as to renew all 4 together. I can see that changing just 1 might be an issue?

You do pay a lot for the "convenience" of a run flat.
My Tig has a spare (all be it a space saver) and conti tyres, but they are not run flats as far as I can see on the tyre sidewall. HAPPY!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Get the tyre back to the manufacturer, it's not done what it says on the can??

·
Registered
555 Posts
These tyres can be plugged, subject to the damage not being outside a repairable area. Also important is the angle of entry of the thing that caused the puncture. There is a downloadable tech leaflet on the Conti web site that shows this, it may be prudent to take it into a tyre fitter if you're unfortunate enough to get a puncture:

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/technology/extended-mobility-main/contiseal

G

·
Thanks for info Hartside. Nice to see the facts.

Something that concerns me is that you may get an object penetrating the tyre but the sealant seals and you do not know it has happened, the leak being too small to trigger TPMS. Should one check regularly for foreign objects?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Wolfsburger for now I have had to order a new tyre, but certainly I will be replacing all for standard tyres once we've had sufficient wear from them. I really do not see the point of supplying self sealing tyres and also a space saver, I always thought it was one or the other.

@Miket I have contacted Continental today so I'll see what they come back with. When I spoke to my VW dealer they said I would have to pay for a replacement tyre, then send off the punctured tyre to Continental claiming it did not perform as it should - sounds like a very long winded process!

@Hartside thanks for this, unfortunately it seems all the local tyre shops and also my VW dealer are unaware of this - all tyre shops and my VW dealer told me the tyre would definitely need replaced without even taking a look at it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
@wedg123 If you're in the UK, it's the dealer that has to take ownership for returning items, not you.

From the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

"Your rights under the Consumer Rights Act are against the retailer - the company that sold you the product - not the manufacturer, so you must take any claim to the retailer."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Breezer decided to raise it with customer services through the live chat, see if we get anywhere. Here is what they said (apologies for the long post).

"You
Hi, I need some advice relating to the Continental ContiSportContact 5 255/40R20 101 V XL, FR, ContiSeal, SUV tyres
which are fitted to our 1 month old Tiguan 14:47
Mohammed
Hi, you're through to Mohammed at Volkswagen UK. How can I help you today? 14:47
You
Unfortunately we picked up a flat over the weekend, a screw hole right in the centre of the treads - however the tyre has
not sealed itself as I believe this type of tyre should 14:48
You
When speaking to my VW dealer they told me this type of tyre cannot be repaired and must be replaced, as did local tyre
shops. But a tech sheet taken from Continental website states the tyres can be repaired 14:49
You
I need to check the facts on this as having to replace a tyre for something which can be easily fixed is going to sting a
little at £225 per tyre 14:50
Mohammed
I am happy to check this. Can I have your name and registration? 14:52
You
Mohammed
Thanks, I will just be a few moments while I check this for you now. 14:54
You
Thank you 14:55
Mohammed
You are welcome. 14:57
Mohammed
Just to keep you informed, I am still retrieving this information for you and will be a few more moments. 15:03
You
No problem, thank you 15:04
Mohammed
Thank you for waiting. How was the tyre damaged, please? 15:08
You
Like I say I must have driven over a screw as there is a screw hole almost in the centre of the tyre treads, exactly the type
of puncture this tyre claims to self seal 15:09
Mohammed
Thank you. 15:12
Mohammed
Do you have your VIN, please? 15:12
You
Mohammed
Thank you. I have spoken to the technical team who have confirmed to me that although the manufacturer does advise
repair is possible, we have relayed that all tyres should be replaced as we feel this is a safer better course of action and
therefore we do not offer repairs on these wheels. sorry about that. 15:19
You
But ultimately the tyre has failed in what it advertises to do? It has not self sealed 15:20
You
Therefore VW as the retailer who sold me the tyre (fitted to our new car) should return to the manufacturer as it has
obviously not performed as it should 15:21
Mohammed
If the tyre has failed because of a screw then it beyond normal operating procedure as tyres are not normally expected. 15:23
You
Surely this is the main selling point of ContiSeal tyres is it not? 15:24
You
Perhaps you should take a look... http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/technology/extended-mobility-main/contiseal 15:25
You
http://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/179678/c2068e0f9004bba362a4ac6fabfcadd8/contiseal-download-1-
data.pdf 15:25
Mohammed
Thank you. Was the puncture bigger than 5mm. 15:25
You
Looking at the size of the hole left behind then I would say no 15:26
Mohammed
what did the retailer tell you, please? 15:27
You
My VW dealer told me I would need to pay for a replacement tyre, and also have the punctured tyre sent back to
continental to have it inspected 15:28
You
I have since ordered a replacement tyre as I cannot afford for our car to be off the road and driving on the space saver is
no good 15:29
Mohammed
I understand what you are saying. If this is what the retailer has decided then this is what would be our decision regarding
this. 15:29
You
If the original tyre has not performed as advertised then the responsibility is on VW as the retailer to return to
manufacturer 15:30
Mohammed
Thank you. In what way do you believe the wheel has not worked as advertised, please? 15:31
You
Come on, do you really need to ask this, please just have a read of the conversation... "ContiSeal? reduces tyre tread
damage: punctures up to 5 mm in diameter (such as nail damage) are sealed immediately from inside the tyre thanks to
our unique technology" 15:32
Mohammed
I completely understand what you are saying. Do you have reason to believe the nail damage was less than 5mm? 15:34
You
The fact the left behind screw hole is directly in the centre of the treads and is less that 5mm diameter 15:34
You
It certainly looks less than 5mm, I could measure this to make sure 15:35
Mohammed
The 5mm would be vertically, not horizontally. 15:36
You
Where are you taking this from? It clearly states 5mm diameter, nothing is mentioned relating to length 15:37
Mohammed
I'll just be a moment while I check with our technical team for you now. 15:38
Mohammed
Can I take your full address, contact number and email. Can I also take the name of the retailer you visited and anyone
you have spoken to, please? 15:45
You
Mohammed
What I will do for you is have a case manager investigate this for you. They will contact you within 2 working
days. What is your preferred resolution regarding this, please? 15:51
You
Like I say I have already forked out the £225 to order the new tyre then fitting on top will be about £20... However I do not
believe the tyre has performed as stated it should, therefore it should investigated by the manufacturer and possibly
replaced... As VW is my retailer then it should be they who return to manufacturer to be investigated 15:54
Mohammed
Thank you. I will log all of this for you now. Is there anything else I can look into for you today, please? 15:55
You
If they tyres are not going to self seal such holes then it begs the question why go to the added expense of having them
on there 15:55
You
No that will be all, can I please ask how I will be contacted by the case manager and also do you have a case number I
can quote should I need to chase this up? 15:56
Mohammed
You will be sent the case number with the contact. How would you like to be contacted, please? 15:56
You
Email would be best, I will keep a record of the chat log to save time should I need to follow this up 15:58
Mohammed
Thank you. I will log all of this for you. Is there anything else I can help you with today? 15:59
You
No that is all, thank you for your help. Enjoy the remainder of your day, Mohammed. 15:59
Mohammed
Should you wish to contact us in the future, please use Volkswagen Live Chat again, call us on 0800 333 666 or email us
at [email protected].
Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK. I hope you have a great day. 16:00"

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wow! You've got more patience than me. Good on you for saying exactly the right things. It's like they were looking for any excuse to wriggle out of addressing the issue.

Looking forward to the next episode. :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Out of interest, did you get a case number via email like he said?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Breezer slow afternoon in the office so I thought worth sticking it out - even if it was a little frustrating at times :) ... I must say I was a little surprised at how dismissive the agent was, but then again my dealer was even more so!

@Bhuna I took from it that I will get the email within 2 working days which includes the case number. As the Tiguan is my Mrs' car it's in her name and her email etc so I have told her to keep an eye out for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got this reply I got from Continental... So they sure can be safely repaired...

"Thank you for getting in contact. I am sorry to hear that you may have been misguided.

The ContiSeal technology is added after the tyre has been produced and it can be repaired just as any normal tyre, as long as the penetration has occurred in the repairable area and there is no under inflation damage.

Many people do not repair them due to the sticky layer which they believe needs to be removed in order to repair the tyre. This is not the case and as long as the area is clean the patch can be placed on top of the sealant and repaired as normal. The sealant itself does not constitute as a permanent repair and we always advise to get them repaired if a penetration occurs as soon as possible.

I have attached the correct repair procedure for these tyres so you can pass it on to anyone who is short on this relevant information.

Most national tyre dealers/ garages should be able to do the repair as it takes no extra tools or pieces of equipment to repair these tyres. I would print this documentation off and give it to your local garage who should be willing to help."

·
Registered
627 Posts
They didn't comment about the tyre failing to seal then? but at least you know it can be repaired.

I would consider cancelling the order for new tyre and ask them to repair it - or take it to someone prepared to repair it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
wedg123 said:
Just got this reply I got from Continental... So they sure can be safely repaired...

"Thank you for getting in contact. I am sorry to hear that you may have been misguided.

The ContiSeal technology is added after the tyre has been produced and it can be repaired just as any normal tyre, as long as the penetration has occurred in the repairable area and there is no under inflation damage.

Many people do not repair them due to the sticky layer which they believe needs to be removed in order to repair the tyre. This is not the case and as long as the area is clean the patch can be placed on top of the sealant and repaired as normal. The sealant itself does not constitute as a permanent repair and we always advise to get them repaired if a penetration occurs as soon as possible.

I have attached the correct repair procedure for these tyres so you can pass it on to anyone who is short on this relevant information.

Most national tyre dealers/ garages should be able to do the repair as it takes no extra tools or pieces of equipment to repair these tyres. I would print this documentation off and give it to your local garage who should be willing to help."
Hi wedg123, was the info the same as on the link I posted. If it's different, would you be able to post it please?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well, I for one will never buy a ContiSeal tyre based on that response. You pay a premium price for little advantage and weasel words from them when they're challenged.

Warn your friends and work colleagues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Hartside yes mate exactly same as the link you posted, so thanks again.

@Bhuna to fair to him my question was more related to whether or not the ContiSeal tyres can indeed be safely repaired. Keeping in mind my VW dealer told me they absolutely cannot and a new tyre is a must. I have pressed him in my response as to why the seal has not activated and attached an image of the wound hole - which I have measured at around 3mm diameter right in the centre of the tyre.

@Breezer I can only comment from our experience with them and give me a standard tyre any day, straightforward and no grey areas. Even with run flats they at least do as they say on the tin!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts