Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

corrosion

14K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  FTT 
#1 ·
Had the Tiguan since May, now done 13k, but I noticed that the brake disc hubs are showing signs of rust. This pisses me off, the car comes with nice alloys, but the cast iron hubs corrode at first winter. I painted the hubs in my last 2 cars because of this, but the Tiguan is rusting early ! The calipers are getting a bit dull as well, local council here must be dumping all their salt on the potholes roads ! :roll:

#3 ·
Hi ronjack, another Tiguan in Irvine! Ive seen so few around, and none locally. Come the spring, I will take wheels off and do the same, its not too bad yet, just starting. I'm up and down M74/M6 quite a lot, so car has been really dirty and salty, although it gets a wash every 2nd weekend.
And yes, i'm in the mill ! Where did you get yours? Mines from Ingram

#5 ·
noticed this on my front hubs. car is a September reg and only done 2,300 miles. had an Audi Q3 prior to this and had the same issue with that. I ended up painting the hubs. will be waiting until the spring before doing that little job!

#6 ·

#7 ·
What annoys me is that ALL automotive manufacturers are aware of this common problem but have done nothing to address the concerns of customers.

It is a given fact that corrosion will at some point appear on unprotected ferrous metals and brake hubs and suspension components are the given first to show signs, more so prematurely depending on environmental conditions and the use of corrosive wheel cleaners.

The problem faced by car owners is that your 19", 20" or 21" £5k alloy wheels against a backdrop of orange rusty wheel hubs detract from the visual appearance of the car, however manufacturers will not agree to correct the problem under warranty but will honour warranty claims for corrosion on alloy wheels! :roll:

Over the years I have successfully addressed the issue of corroded hubs on many cars by using various grades of rotary wire brushes to remove loose rust and then by applying POR15 or Hammerite paint.......the biggest problem I face now is that I'm not as agile as I used to be and crawling around on blended knee is not one of my favourite pastimes :oops: :|

#9 ·
#11 ·
apoc_reg said:
This has been a real bugbear of mine for my last two or three cars, wish id thought of the lacquer thing the day I brought it :)
:roll: ...Yep + 1

#13 ·
Hi
I've got the same problem with rusting rotors on my brand new 66 plate Tiguan SEL only 12 weeks old
What's the best product in your opinion for removing the rust and slowing down it's return...I assume the DIY route is a quicker fix than trying to get a dealership to agree that rusting within 12 weeks is not ok
It makes the whole car look second hand already
Thanks
Martin

#14 ·
wheels sealed, callipers lacquered red, hubs lacquered silver, should resolve any corrosion issues

Attachments

#15 ·
I'm just talking to a detailer - my tig in in transit, so I need to get organised. The detailer will treat the wheels inside and out but he didn't mention hubs and calipers. So I'll ask him. If he has the car for two days and is removing the wheels, it would make sense to sort this out at the same time.

#16 ·
Yes it's the perfect time to do it before any surface corrosion starts

#17 ·
neelytom said:
wheels sealed, callipers lacquered red, hubs lacquered silver, should resolve any corrosion issues
Hi neelytom, like what you have done with your calipers look really good. Did you paint these whilst still fitted or did you have to remove. Also what's paint did you use?

#18 ·
Hi Timbo

The car was fully detailed and at the time the detailer done it, I know the paint is special heat resistant.
He just asked what colour I wanted same with the hubs too.

It was https://www.defined-details.co.uk that done it
I know the wheels were removed as they were sealed inside and out I think the callipers were painted on the vehicle.

I just remember my Q3 after a few months looked horrendous with the corrosion.

I have to say I was not sure how they would turn out, but a lot of people have commented how good they look I am really impressed with them they blend in really well and of no rust to look forward too

I just wish VW gave us the option for factory fit painted callipers

#19 ·
I see, good move :idea: wish I had thought of that whilst mine was at the detailers. Not sure if I want to diy paint the calipers although there are YouTube guides on how to do it without having to remove them. I need to make my mind up soon whilst the car is still new. The other thing is what colour to match up with the Tungsten Silver :? :?

#20 ·
Timbo said:
I see, good move :idea: wish I had thought of that whilst mine was at the detailers. Not sure if I want to diy paint the calipers although there are YouTube guides on how to do it without having to remove them. I need to make my mind up soon whilst the car is still new. The other thing is what colour to match up with the Tungsten Silver :? :?
:idea: :idea: :arrow: :arrow: Yellow ;)

#21 ·
Thinking of these to do it.

Facebook.com/migliordetailing or miglior.co.uk

#23 ·
My guess corrosion warranty only covers body work , worth asking though. As for those thinking of painting there calipers I have always applied Smoothrite by Hammerite. Clean up the area with a wire brush , then spray with brake cleaner and hand paint in place with a 1cm wide brush.I don`t mask off anything as one of my hobbies involves painting. This lasts and lasts. I did it on a ST170 i had and after 5 years and 100,000 miles it still looked good.

#24 ·
F2paul said:
My guess corrosion warranty only covers body work , worth asking though. As for those thinking of painting there calipers I have always applied Smoothrite by Hammerite. Clean up the area with a wire brush , then spray with brake cleaner and hand paint in place with a 1cm wide brush.I don`t mask off anything as one of my hobbies involves painting. This lasts and lasts. I did it on a ST170 i had and after 5 years and 100,000 miles it still looked good.
Cheers for the reply

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.