Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owned by Tig since November and currently done just under 6k, I have started noticing a clunk from the steering when moving the wheel slightly when standing still and when making slow maneuvers (like reverse parking into a spot).

Appears to be from the right hand side, could be a suspension bearing but wondering whether anyone else has had this? Is it common with Golfs as they probably share some of the same components?

Going to get it looked at.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not noticed any knocking steering but have notices a muted "whooshing grating noise" from the front of the wife's R-Line at low speeds and when turning the steering wheel. The aforementioned problem could be a manner of all things from a loose/leaking turbo air inlet pipe, off set brake disc guard, faulty steering pump or air lock in the HVAC system. The wife's Tig has only covered 800 miles! :roll:

Car is booked in for investigation along with the intermittent sunroof clunk on closing.

Anyone else tuned in to a whooshing grating noise emanating from the front of the car at low speeds? in particular those with Progressive Steering factory option.

BTW does the steering knock occur when first driving off after the car has been standing and in reverse only? The aforementioned problem is atypical trait of VAG cars whereby the brake pads move within the front caliper (doesn't appear to afflict the rear pads for some reason), more noticeable when reversing. The normal"temporary" fix is to apply some brake anti squeal grease to the back of the pad, however this problem normally returns. I have this problem on my Mk7 GTD and had it on a previous Audi A4 Avant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well got the car back from VW and was told the noise is normal, even though it definitely wasn't there a few months ago. Will upload a video over the weekend you guys can tell me if I'm overreacting 😒

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Tiggy also started making a clunk sound about two months ago, which has increased by now. It started as fade clunking noise from left wheel and mostly when I turn right and accelerate. But later grown to a loud clunk after rolling first few meters in the morning followed by usual turning fade clunking noise. The louder noise sounds like something is falling in place.
I failed twice to reproduce the sounds in the presence of a VW technician but yesterday I made an audio recording and sent it to my local VW workshop. Now they have decided to keep my car for 2-3 days to check it out thoroughly.
I couldn't upload the recording (.wav) here but can share it elsewhere if anyone wanna take a listen :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this noise on an older Tiguan model, and it turned out to be the steering rack. Had it replaced under warranty twice in three years. I would hear a clunk when i first turned the steering when setting off on a morning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to update this, clunking ended up happening every time I turned the steering wheel and had the steering rack replaced under warranty. All is fine now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.

I have the same issue.

Do you have find what it is and did you fix it ?

Thanks

Spikeysam said:
Owned by Tig since November and currently done just under 6k, I have started noticing a clunk from the steering when moving the wheel slightly when standing still and when making slow maneuvers (like reverse parking into a spot).

Appears to be from the right hand side, could be a suspension bearing but wondering whether anyone else has had this? Is it common with Golfs as they probably share some of the same components?

Going to get it looked at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.

I have the same issue.

Do you still hear the noise after replacing it ?

Thanks

be1150 said:
I had this noise on an older Tiguan model, and it turned out to be the steering rack. Had it replaced under warranty twice in three years. I would hear a clunk when i first turned the steering when setting off on a morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok thanks for your reply !

Iam at 32K.

I have a appointment next week at my dealer.

Cheers

Davesteele83 said:
It's the steering rack. Had my Mk2 SE Nav rack replaced at approx 25k. All good since

1 - 10 of 10 Posts