• <t>No</t>

Votes: 5 45.5%
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've joined this forum to find out if anyone else has encountered a potentially dangerous issue with the ACC.

Several times now I have been joining a motorway joining from a 40mph road when the ACC decides that the current speed should be 110; this is the road sign reader part.

I'm not aware of any any roads in England that have such a speed limit but I do know that would be an appropriate speed in KPH on the continent.

On its own this isn't an issue. As 110kph on an motorway is roughly 68mph however... once the ACC decides it's driving on the continent (when I'm on the m42) it then changes the speed to 70 on the road sign reader. Unfortunately the part of the system that regulates the speed assumes this is still KPH and Slams the anchors on reducing to c44 mph (70kph = 43.5mph).

I WANT TO POINT OUT EXTREMELY DANGEROUS THIS IS WHEN JOINING TRAFFIC ON A MOTORWAY !!.

(Obviously as a competent driver I adjusted my speed immediately to correct the issue; I was in control not the pratnav!)

As you can see from the second picture the cruise control shows up in red when you accelerate back to 70mph.

This also happens when travelling on a 40mph zone near my house and slows down to 25mph!!

The car is 2 months old and the garage have pawned me off! I'm waiting to an engineer to call to explain to me why this is a feature and not an issue but feel that I'll be wasting my breath trying to argue the point!

BTW the car was clean (the radar and camera where not fouled up!) and there are no road signs joining the motorway or any signs that show 110 (even if they did it shouldn't read that in KPH!) .

The garage have run diagnostics and can't find an issue other than a small error a month ago that has nothing to do with this ( I think it couldn't activate the nav for some reason)

So does anybody else either have this issue or know what to do to get VW's attention!

Other than that it's a brilliant car
Even if it wants to kill me!

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
That sounds messed up! You can see that the speedo is reading in MPH yet the road sign recognition seems to think they are in KPH. Initially I thought that this was a fault and laughed at the bit where the dealer said it's a feature.
Then my over active mind got working as to how this might happen and I wondered if yours is the same as our non facelift ones in that it has a setting you can change for DRIVING ON THE RIGHT. If this was set, would it expect all the signs to be European (KPH) ? Yet you would still be able to have the speedo set to MPH. Probably not but could be worth checking.

·
Super Moderator
3,111 Posts
This is a major issue and I would contact VW directly to report this issue as it's clear the dealer doe snot car.

Have you told the dealer that you can still reject the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice folks.

I got the car booked in and after 2 visits I spoke to the technician who actually understood the issue.

They spoke to head hut and it's now waiting for Volkswagen to write some new software specifically to fix my issue.

If sounds like they have taken it seriously if VW in Germany have to write new code; so makes me wonder if I'm not the only one with the issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi
I have seen this issue a couple of times on mine but acc was not in control. I was going through road works near where I live and haven't a clue what it read. Road works have gone now and haven't seen it anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any news here? I have the same issue. It also seems to flip the undertaking restriction as if I'm driving on the right. I.e on the motorway it now won't overtake people to the left of me but it will undertake people to the right of me.

·
Registered
932 Posts
rohanpritchard said:
Any news here? I have the same issue. It also seems to flip the undertaking restriction as if I'm driving on the right. I.e on the motorway it now won't overtake people to the left of me but it will undertake people to the right of me.
Assuming you're in the UK this sounds like a possibility of the car setting having been changed to "driving on the right" as I thought before. It sounds like it thinks you are driving on the continent hence the speeds in KPH and it letting you undertake cars on the right. Regardless of whether you have changed it or not, can you humour me and see what the setting says?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope all set to the correct side of the road. But I do think that's where there is a software fault. So something in the background code is still set to the other side of the road even though the setting says it isn't!

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you can, drive when it's dark and see if the headlights are pointing to the right and that will confirm it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tubemonster said:
rohanpritchard said:
Assuming you're in the UK this sounds like a possibility of the car setting having been changed to "driving on the right" as I thought before. It sounds like it thinks you are driving on the continent hence the speeds in KPH and it letting you undertake cars on the right. Regardless of whether you have changed it or not, can you humour me and see what the setting says?
So I *think* you're referring to the setting under 'lights'? I have this set to driving on the left (and I drive in the dark plenty and can confirm it's set correctly for UK roads). Furthermore the ACC bug is temperamental, it's not consistently set to European roads, but the lights consistently are set to UK roads. Finally I've certainly had this issue in the dark where the lights are set correctly but the ACC is bugging out. So I think that one is a dead end :( But thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
davehep said:
It is now with VW in Europe for them to write some bespoke software specifically to resolve this problem! That was 4 weeks ago and heard nothing back yet. Will chase this week.
Hi Dave. Do you have a specific contact that you're in touch with? Or any kind of ticket/task number that VW are using to track this issue? If I can jump on board too then I can keep chasing for updates. I spoke to VW customer service but at this point they've just advised I take the car to a dealership (which I've now booked).

·
Registered
165 Posts
We had this issue just last Sunday - went onto a 60mph B-road after leaving a 50mph section/roundabout and the symbol flashed up for 90 and the car speeded up - Location

Wife took a picture as I was driving...the area definitely is 60mph (although other sections further up are 50mph and 30mph)

There's not even an error with the map data provider (HERE) as they have it down as 60mph also

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Ecoregion Rectangle Terrestrial plant Slope Font

Attachments

·
Registered
Allspace R line 245 Tsi 4motion DSG
2,403 Posts
This is the problem when Car Manufacturers suddenly have to keep churning out software updates.....
Scary stuff. If the computer crashes do you do too?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well at the end of the day as long as we still have overall control over the accelerator, break and steering and stay in charge of our vehicle we should be OK.

The question is as we get used to these new ways of driving will we eventually forget that we should be in control or will we surrender control to the governing authorities? #bigbrother!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've had the ACC display 90 when on a 60 but as the traffic was doing 58-60, all was well. Didn't last for long, just one stretch of the A59 between Harrogate and York.

·
Registered
165 Posts
davehep said:
Yep that's exactly the same issue. 90kph road sign displayed and 56mph on the cruise control.
Interesting - keep us updated with any updates or progress :)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts