<t>Have you had this issue?</t>

• <t>Yes</t>

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • <t>No</t>

Votes: 5 71.4%
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

Registered
gazzer82 said:
So took my Tiguan in today for them to diagnose this, have just had a call saying that it has passed all the diagnostics, and there are no faults detected.

Thye have "made some adjustment", which basically means they have turned off the Predictive ACC functionality (so apparently it will not only read speeds from the Sat Nav?), which is not a valid fix, and will likely not solve the problem as I've had it happen when entering a motorway with no posted speed limit signs.

I even managed to get my wife to take some videos of it happening whilst I was driving, you can see them here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoLG9WDBI4busNnBDrLJZWn5z4eSOpfiA

Emailed these to the garage, no difference.

Apparently the only way to get it resolved is to get it to fault more so they can diagnose it????

This is my first VW, and so far I am very very underwhelmed, and quite angry at such a dangerous fault being completely brushed under the carpet. Has anyone else actually managed to get this fixed, or have you all also been fobbed off with the same answers?
Exactly the same situation as you, I took my car in to my local dealer, they drove it around a bit and then came back out saying "so the good news is there's nothing wrong!" 馃檮

Registered
So when I went into the dealership and asked to speak to the manager.

They have acknowledged that there is a bulletin from VW regarding this issue, and that the guidance from VW currently is to disable predictive ACC.

So, I currently have Predictive ACC disabled, so it's now just dumb and I have to manually set the speed per speed zone, which is not what I paid for.

The dealership has stated they have submitted a report of a safety issue to VW, and expect a report back from them by end of next week. So lets' see what comes back.

But we bought this car somewhat for the smart ACC as we do long, varying speed limit drives, and it really makes a difference on those drives. So if this isn't sorted quickly I think we'll need to look at our options I think.

Registered
While I appreciate that everything should work as expected and paid for, while they sort it out it really isn't a big deal doing what us pre facelifters do when using the ACC and that's braking when coming out of a 70/60 mph road and pressing the SET button on the steering wheel and then accelerating and pressing the SET button again when going back onto a national speed limit. Sometimes I think the less we have to do the less we tend to concentrate on the road ahead.

Registered
I get your point, but it really is super helpful when you're on the M25 for multiple hours every day, with the variable speed limit, and we got it for that reason.

You could make the same arguments for ACC vs CC, or even no CC at all.

I am totally willing to give VW some time to sort it, but "Some Time" is not 6 months, this is clearly a pretty spectacular, and dangerous bug, so it needs to be fixed. It's astounding to me that such a fundamental bug could make it's way through the "rigorous" testing that vehicle software is supposed to go through.

If they communicate properly, and provide a timeline of it getting fixed fine, if it's a chasm of silence and denial/obfuscation, then no, I will not just be silently waiting for them to fix it if/when they get around to it.

Car manufacturers don't exactly have the best records for sorting these sorts of issues in a timely manner.

We have paid for functionality, that is a key selling point of the vehicle. So much so that is featured, with pictures of a variable speed limit road, on the main page for the vehicle on their website, Doh!

Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
I sympathise with the new Facelift owners who have this problem, as many have said, this is not what you paid good money for. However I'm sure now that VW seem to be acknowledging that there is a problem (most certainly software related), that it will be rectified soon.
I also agree with Tubemonster, that it's easy enough to temporarily use the method he describes that us pre-Facelifters have to use until the problem is fixed. I agree that these facilities are really handy, but we do have to remember that ultimately it's us that's driving the car assisted by the gizmos.
Annoying I know, but ultimately temporary I feel sure.

Steve

Registered
gazzer82 said:
I get your point, but it really is super helpful when you're on the M25 for multiple hours every day, with the variable speed limit, and we got it for that reason.

I am totally willing to give VW some time to sort it, but "Some Time" is not 6 months, this is clearly a pretty spectacular, and dangerous bug, so it needs to be fixed. It's astounding to me that such a fundamental bug could make it's way through the "rigorous" testing that vehicle software is supposed to go through.

If they communicate properly, and provide a timeline of it getting fixed fine, if it's a chasm of silence and denial/obfuscation, then no, I will not just be silently waiting for them to fix it if/when they get around to it.

Car manufacturers don't exactly have the best records for sorting these sorts of issues in a timely manner.

We have paid for functionality, that is a key selling point of the vehicle. So much so that is featured, with pictures of a variable speed limit road, on the main page for the vehicle on their website, Doh!
Totally agree that they have to fix it sooner rather than later I just hope that the fact it's making the car go slower rather than faster doesn't affect their urgency on the matter and of course 45mph in a 60mph zone is dangerous when all behind you are doing 60mph but we all know how their minds work don't we. Last resort is a rejection of the vehicle with an argument that it's done this from the offset and having given them enough time to rectify it but you will need legal advice on that. Such a shame as it's otherwise a great car I'm sure you'll agree?

Registered
Tubemonster said:
gazzer82 said:

Totally agree that they have to fix it sooner rather than later I just hope that the fact it's making the car go slower rather than faster doesn't affect their urgency on the matter and of course 45mph in a 60mph zone is dangerous when all behind you are doing 60mph but we all know how their minds work don't we. Last resort is a rejection of the vehicle with an argument that it's done this from the offset and having given them enough time to rectify it but you will need legal advice on that. Possibly a letter of that intention with a time frame you're prepared to wait. Such a shame as it's otherwise a great car I'm sure you'll agree?

Registered
gazzer82 said:
So when I went into the dealership and asked to speak to the manager.

They have acknowledged that there is a bulletin from VW regarding this issue, and that the guidance from VW currently is to disable predictive ACC.

So, I currently have Predictive ACC disabled, so it's now just dumb and I have to manually set the speed per speed zone, which is not what I paid for.

The dealership has stated they have submitted a report of a safety issue to VW, and expect a report back from them by end of next week. So lets' see what comes back.

But we bought this car somewhat for the smart ACC as we do long, varying speed limit drives, and it really makes a difference on those drives. So if this isn't sorted quickly I think we'll need to look at our options I think.
This doesn't sound like their hot-fix would stop the other (related) issue where it won't let you overtake others on the motorway because it assumes you're undertaking on a European road&#8230; Or are most people not getting that problem like me??

Registered
Their fix is nothing more than reverting the ACC back to the same functionality as the pre-facelift. How this effects the the overtake/undertake issue I'm not sure, we definitely had the same issue in the past, but haven't had it recur yet.

I have had a call from VW customer care, so maybe they can help get things sorted &#x1f937-2642;

Registered
Just found this thread after suffering with this issue since November. Both speed and overtaking issues.

Registered
I also contacted VW customer service about the known software fault. Typically, they have ignored what I wrote and directed me back to the retailer which is a complete waste of time.

How do we get a complaint through to VW that they will actually understand?!

I don't want to sound like a moaning old man, but this is exactly the sort of story BBC Watchdog love as it's a dangerous fault being ignored, with the backdrop of VWs dodgy past!

Registered
Does anyone have an update? VW customer service have refused to even look into it, and have forced me to the dealer. You can imagine how that is going. They checked the bulletins and nothing about this particular issue came up (they say) and without a fault registered on the car, they can't do anything!!!

Registered
Hi, I came across this when searching for information on this issue. I have a 2021 Tiguan which I have had since March. I too have been having the same issue with the ACC jumping between mph and kmh. Mine was booked into Exeter VW last week and they were aware of this issue also affecting ID3 models. They performed an update to the infotainment system and so far since last Thursday and 250 miles in, the acc seems to be performing correctly. I have not seen any random speeds such as 110 displayed in the speed sign and 68mph on the acc setting that I was getting before before dangerously changing to 70 and 44mph respectively quite sudden and alarmingly. It seems to now be working correctly changing the speed from say a 50 to 60 limit for example without my input and maintaining the setting without randomly jumping to kmh speeds. I have had acc VW models previously but this is my first which changes the speed based on speed recognition so has taken a bit of adjustment to the function. I'll keep an eye on mine over the next few weeks and report back. KR.

Registered
RlineTSI said:
Hi, I came across this when searching for information on this issue. I have a 2021 Tiguan which I have had since March. I too have been having the same issue with the ACC jumping between mph and kmh. Mine was booked into Exeter VW last week and they were aware of this issue also affecting ID3 models. They performed an update to the infotainment system and so far since last Thursday and 250 miles in, the acc seems to be performing correctly. I have not seen any random speeds such as 110 displayed in the speed sign and 68mph on the acc setting that I was getting before before dangerously changing to 70 and 44mph respectively quite sudden and alarmingly. It seems to now be working correctly changing the speed from say a 50 to 60 limit for example without my input and maintaining the setting without randomly jumping to kmh speeds. I have had acc VW models previously but this is my first which changes the speed based on speed recognition so has taken a bit of adjustment to the function. I'll keep an eye on mine over the next few weeks and report back. KR.
Thank you for your update - did you also have the overtaking issue where the car would refuse to overtake a car on the inside (thinking it was on European roads)? Also I don't suppose you can confir the software version you now have?

Registered
Hi - yes only when it was displaying kmh. I would approach say a lorry and get the display warning and subsequently slow down to prevent the overtake thinking I was undertaking. I have not had this happen since the update but the main issue was the sudden set change to 44mph from 70 in my instance. Please see warranty invoice attached. It doesn't provide details on the software version. Is there a way to pick this up from the car infotainment menu?

Font Parallel Paper Number Paper product

Attachments

Registered
Thank you that's helpful - yes the software version is shown in the infotainment system - just not sure exactly where! Will have a look tomorrow

Registered
An update - thank you for sharing your document proving VW are aware and have a fix. By sharing this with my retailer they now believe me!

I am on the old software (0270) and will take it in next week to be updated.

I've attached the update data from the retailer system for anyone interested (the last row applies to Tiguan)

Attachments

Registered
Hi Paul, could you point me at the right location to check the software version in the Infotainment System, mine did get updated a few weeks ago, but not sure if it was the same version. They disabled the Smart ACC at the same time so I haven't really tested it since as they told me to leave it off, but bot wondering if I should turn it back on. T that I can actually work out where to set that, any idea where the setting to switch on the smart ACC would be? The UI of these cars is really not very intuitive!

Registered
Hi Gents, no problem glad I could help. To be honest I was expecting a bit of a faff on seeing how people were struggling to resolve but VW Exeter were aware so I was lucky I guess. I would argue though this should be a mandatory recall as it is dangerous. I appreciate we should be in control to take action but when a second passes to override, the loss in speed could be the difference in being rear ended in unlucky circumstances if a car was following close behind. I am yet to have any issues since the update so all is looking like this is now resolved. Having checked, mine is the updated version as below. I found it in the main menu then clicked settings then system information. Rectangle Font Grille Electronic instrument Technology

Attachments

41 - 60 of 89 Posts