• <t>Yes</t>

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • <t>No</t>

Votes: 5 45.5%

Dangerous ACC setting speed to KPH when in MPH

29K views 98 replies 32 participants last post by  Tricky 
#1 ·
Hi

I've joined this forum to find out if anyone else has encountered a potentially dangerous issue with the ACC.

Several times now I have been joining a motorway joining from a 40mph road when the ACC decides that the current speed should be 110; this is the road sign reader part.

I'm not aware of any any roads in England that have such a speed limit but I do know that would be an appropriate speed in KPH on the continent.

On its own this isn't an issue. As 110kph on an motorway is roughly 68mph however... once the ACC decides it's driving on the continent (when I'm on the m42) it then changes the speed to 70 on the road sign reader. Unfortunately the part of the system that regulates the speed assumes this is still KPH and Slams the anchors on reducing to c44 mph (70kph = 43.5mph).

I WANT TO POINT OUT EXTREMELY DANGEROUS THIS IS WHEN JOINING TRAFFIC ON A MOTORWAY !!.

(Obviously as a competent driver I adjusted my speed immediately to correct the issue; I was in control not the pratnav!)

As you can see from the second picture the cruise control shows up in red when you accelerate back to 70mph.

This also happens when travelling on a 40mph zone near my house and slows down to 25mph!!

The car is 2 months old and the garage have pawned me off! I'm waiting to an engineer to call to explain to me why this is a feature and not an issue but feel that I'll be wasting my breath trying to argue the point!

BTW the car was clean (the radar and camera where not fouled up!) and there are no road signs joining the motorway or any signs that show 110 (even if they did it shouldn't read that in KPH!) .

The garage have run diagnostics and can't find an issue other than a small error a month ago that has nothing to do with this ( I think it couldn't activate the nav for some reason)

So does anybody else either have this issue or know what to do to get VW's attention!

Other than that it's a brilliant car
Even if it wants to kill me!

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
I also contacted VW customer service about the known software fault. Typically, they have ignored what I wrote and directed me back to the retailer which is a complete waste of time.

How do we get a complaint through to VW that they will actually understand?!

I don't want to sound like a moaning old man, but this is exactly the sort of story BBC Watchdog love as it's a dangerous fault being ignored, with the backdrop of VWs dodgy past!

#53 ·
Does anyone have an update? VW customer service have refused to even look into it, and have forced me to the dealer. You can imagine how that is going. They checked the bulletins and nothing about this particular issue came up (they say) and without a fault registered on the car, they can't do anything!!!

#54 ·
Hi, I came across this when searching for information on this issue. I have a 2021 Tiguan which I have had since March. I too have been having the same issue with the ACC jumping between mph and kmh. Mine was booked into Exeter VW last week and they were aware of this issue also affecting ID3 models. They performed an update to the infotainment system and so far since last Thursday and 250 miles in, the acc seems to be performing correctly. I have not seen any random speeds such as 110 displayed in the speed sign and 68mph on the acc setting that I was getting before before dangerously changing to 70 and 44mph respectively quite sudden and alarmingly. It seems to now be working correctly changing the speed from say a 50 to 60 limit for example without my input and maintaining the setting without randomly jumping to kmh speeds. I have had acc VW models previously but this is my first which changes the speed based on speed recognition so has taken a bit of adjustment to the function. I'll keep an eye on mine over the next few weeks and report back. KR.

#55 ·
RlineTSI said:
Hi, I came across this when searching for information on this issue. I have a 2021 Tiguan which I have had since March. I too have been having the same issue with the ACC jumping between mph and kmh. Mine was booked into Exeter VW last week and they were aware of this issue also affecting ID3 models. They performed an update to the infotainment system and so far since last Thursday and 250 miles in, the acc seems to be performing correctly. I have not seen any random speeds such as 110 displayed in the speed sign and 68mph on the acc setting that I was getting before before dangerously changing to 70 and 44mph respectively quite sudden and alarmingly. It seems to now be working correctly changing the speed from say a 50 to 60 limit for example without my input and maintaining the setting without randomly jumping to kmh speeds. I have had acc VW models previously but this is my first which changes the speed based on speed recognition so has taken a bit of adjustment to the function. I'll keep an eye on mine over the next few weeks and report back. KR.
Thank you for your update - did you also have the overtaking issue where the car would refuse to overtake a car on the inside (thinking it was on European roads)? Also I don't suppose you can confir the software version you now have?

#56 ·
Hi - yes only when it was displaying kmh. I would approach say a lorry and get the display warning and subsequently slow down to prevent the overtake thinking I was undertaking. I have not had this happen since the update but the main issue was the sudden set change to 44mph from 70 in my instance. Please see warranty invoice attached. It doesn't provide details on the software version. Is there a way to pick this up from the car infotainment menu?

Font Parallel Paper Number Paper product

Attachments

#57 ·
Thank you that's helpful - yes the software version is shown in the infotainment system - just not sure exactly where! Will have a look tomorrow

#58 ·
An update - thank you for sharing your document proving VW are aware and have a fix. By sharing this with my retailer they now believe me!

I am on the old software (0270) and will take it in next week to be updated.

I've attached the update data from the retailer system for anyone interested (the last row applies to Tiguan)

Attachments

#59 ·
Hi Paul, could you point me at the right location to check the software version in the Infotainment System, mine did get updated a few weeks ago, but not sure if it was the same version. They disabled the Smart ACC at the same time so I haven't really tested it since as they told me to leave it off, but bot wondering if I should turn it back on. T that I can actually work out where to set that, any idea where the setting to switch on the smart ACC would be? The UI of these cars is really not very intuitive!

#60 ·
Hi Gents, no problem glad I could help. To be honest I was expecting a bit of a faff on seeing how people were struggling to resolve but VW Exeter were aware so I was lucky I guess. I would argue though this should be a mandatory recall as it is dangerous. I appreciate we should be in control to take action but when a second passes to override, the loss in speed could be the difference in being rear ended in unlucky circumstances if a car was following close behind. I am yet to have any issues since the update so all is looking like this is now resolved. Having checked, mine is the updated version as below. I found it in the main menu then clicked settings then system information. Rectangle Font Grille Electronic instrument Technology

Attachments

#62 ·
Hi folks, took my Elegance into the dealer today and they confirmed a fault with the ACC and applied the latest update to the infotainment system 0278. Seems this has now filtered to the tech folks and a fix is ready.

#63 ·
Brilliant that neither the garage, nor VW direct have attempted to contact me to tell me that, can't even get the case manager from VW to answer my calls or call me back. Have been trying to get through to the service dept at the garage, but struggling to get them to answer the phone either. Such a shame that VW haven't moved to OTA updates like some of the other manufacturers, I guess the dealers like there billable hours for applying software updates.

#64 ·
I've managed to book mine in for 7th of July for this software update after manually chasing the dealership and explaining the issue for the 3rd time to be met with a suspicious "hmmm, not heard that one before", pretty disappointed that this isn't something they're contacting *me* to get sorted. Think this will be my last VW.

#65 ·
Yup same, was planning for my next car to be electric, and looking at the ID range, but absolutely no way now will I be getting an electric car from VW. I think Polestar are looking like a very viable option, as you have the Volvo dealership network backing them up, and, shockingly, OTA updates!

#66 ·
My car is with the dealer today, after I had to evidence to them (from this forum) what the issue was and what they needed to do to fix it. They had never heard of the issue. Dropped the car off this morning and they had prepared themselves by the downloading the update yesterday.

I'm hoping this fixes it. I wonder whether all Tiguans have this travel assist fault but perhaps many owners either don't use it or perhaps just switched it off thinking it's a rubbish bit of technology?

#68 ·
I have a long journey planned for Sunday. Will report back on if the fix has worked when I get back.

#70 ·
I've covered 600 or so miles since the update covering a mixture of motorway, dual carriageway and local A roads and I have had no issues so it appears this is a fix. Much more enjoyable to drive. I am still using with caution though after the experience from when it was changing the speed sporadically and sometimes dangerously. I guess further confidence will build through extended use. Until then my left hand is ready to press cancel on the steering wheel controls.

#71 ·
I covered around 380 miles on A Roads, Motorways and Side Roads yesterday and the ACC performed flawlessly. I have regained confidence with the car systems now and am happy this seems to have been resolved.
I would suggest that anyone who has experienced problems with ACC to contact their dealership to get the Infotainment updated.

#72 ·
I have the issue of 45 and 110 signs showing in the dash, and have been "slowed" on a dual carriageway when doing about 60 with a warning "20 mph zone detected".
Seeing the fix mentioned in this forum rang my dealer today. Said there was nothing listed or no recalls against my 21 Facelift Elegance, but to bring it in for a day for diagnostics.
Mentioned this thread and software update and they reiterated there was nothing listed against the car.
Does VW actually speak to dealers???????? Or declares to each other?

#76 ·
An update to my 19 July post (above) on this.

I took the car into the dealer on 3rd August - Sinclair VW Cardiff (who I have to say have generally been excellent in the 6 or so years I've had cars from them). It was initially to be in all day for "diagnostics". They rang me after 3 hours to say they'd found a fault with the front camera, and I needed a new unit (under warranty of course), but the parts were on back order and not expected in for at least 2 weeks. They said the car was ok for pick up but advised me not to use ACC until the new part was in place.

I asked about the software fix from 0270 to 0278, and agin they denied any knowledge of this, and said that they would have to fix and test the camera until and then see if there were any other faults (despite my insistence that there was a software update that at least in part addressed this issue).
I'm still waiting (2 weeks tomorrow) to hear about the new part and to get booked in for a fix. I can see a number of other posts (on other threads) about the software update, and I have taken a print out of the post from @phope in "online connectivity issues".

In what MAY be related issues to the software update, I also get frequent pings on the AID to "drive in the centre of the lane" and "take over the steering" (I'm always steering!!!!!!). It doesn't matter whether I'm on a motorway or a single track country road. It's might be just the dodgy camera combined with the fact that I do have lane assist on, but it appears the only way to dismiss this message is to turn lane assist off (which sort of negates the purpose of this so called safety feature), but it's bloody annoying - it happens on pretty much every journey, so hoping it's related to the faulty camera.

I also had an "SOS call" error - return to workshop" error flag up the other day whilst driving. It disappeared after the engine was turned off and turned back on and hasn't (yet) re-appeared. I'll mention that to the dealer as well.

A bunch of annoying issues, that I'm hoping the software update - if I can convince Sinclair VW there is one, and get it done, will fix.

All the above aside, I still love the car.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.