Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fit one and where did you stick it. Photo would be great. Ta. :)

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve,
I did a search on here as I thought I'd seen something on dashcams. Didnt come up with anything though, must be me.

I have a Roadhawk HD and took it out of my Q5 when I sold it. I had the power from the cigar socket in the armrest box and the wire up the passenger door pillar under the roof linng and to the camera behind the mirror. I didnt want to use a cigar socket so I spoke to the Service Manager of my dealer who was brilliant. I told him I would provide a car kit if they could wire it up. He said I could get it done cheaper than them by an auto leccy and it wouldnt affect warranty or they would be happy to do it. Although it will cost an hour labour I am pleasd to let the dealer do it. I wanted an idea where on the screen people were fitting cameras.

Thanks again, Graham

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Actually I previously had a Street Guardian Panorama S camera in my Golf, but I bought the DDPai M6+ after seeing the review on Techmoan's website.
I must say, I've had so many problems with the DDPai that I've gone back to using my previous camera which is much superior (and reliable) in every way. I've still routed the cable the same way, but I might take your advice Beagler and hard wire it, or more to the point, get someone else to do it :lol: , as I'd really like to take advantage of the 'parking' mode.

Steve

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a nextbase dash cam duo , a convenient way to have a front and rear camera in one unit. Wired to front cigarette lighter as wanted flexibility. It goes on and off with ignition anyway and has internal battery, so comes on if it senses movement when car parked. Hidden the wire in the headlining, A pillar and behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Tig16 said:
I have a nextbase dash cam duo , a convenient way to have a front and rear camera in one unit. Wired to front cigarette lighter as wanted flexibility. It goes on and off with ignition anyway and has internal battery, so comes on if it senses movement when car parked. Hidden the wire in the headlining, A pillar and behind the glovebox.
Nextbase sell a dedicated 'hardwire' kit (approx £20.00) which enables you to hardwire your nextbase dash cam which gives a 'integrated' installation free from any visible and hanging leads or 12v plugs.
I hardwired a Nextbase 402g in my GTD with the aforementioned kit which 'piggybacked' off a 15amp fuse behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input guys.

G

·
Essjay, I was just going to order one of the DDPai M6+ dash cams as they seem to have rave reviews and as they have quite a small size, seem to be perfect for the TIG (TIG's rear view mirror assembly and doppled glass takes up quite a large area).

Could you say what problems you had with it? You are a genuine purchaser whereas sometimes I'm not sure of the validity of some of the reviews you see on the Internet. I would be interested in your views.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hi rtigtony, like you say the DDPai is a near perfect fit behind the mirror of the Tig, but unfortunately thats probably the only saving grace for it.
Granted the camera takes very good quality video, but it also has a gps receiver, that is very much sub-par. There is an app available for both Android and iOS to view the output via wifi which I found quite hit and miss. A lot of people have also complained of a 'buzzing' on the sound, which I also was aware of.
The firmware updates on the DDPai are done using the app over wifi, and some of the updates have introduced more problems than solutions, but the one thing that really annoyed me is the way the gps info is saved to the micro sd card. It meant that the program I use on my laptop to view the video and routes (called Dashcam Viewer, which I highly recommend) would not recognise the gps.
As I said, my previous camera is now back in and working properly.
If you're in the market for a new Dashcam then have a look at this website which I've found to be of great help when selecting a camera, and you'll also read some of the DDPai woes in the forum.
https://dashcamtalk.com

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think it is about time car manufactures were made to have 'dash cams' as standard built in to say the mirror housing....just a thought :arrow: :idea:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It should certainly be an option. Already have a reverse camera and a Duke box Hard drive or ssd its not rocket science surely.

G

·
Thanks for the info on the DDPai M6+ Essjay, and the link to what looks like a very informative web site.

I also agree with stumpy. It would be so easy for the manufacturer to incorporate a cam in the rear view mirror housing. The additional cost would be peanuts.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not had it done yet am awaiting car kit from camera website. Service said it would be an hours labour £65. Maybe dear but peace of mind. Should be done next week hopefully.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Beagler said:
Not had it done yet am awaiting car kit from camera website. Service said it would be an hours labour £65. Maybe dear but peace of mind. Should be done next week hopefully.
As you said peace of mind & will not affect the warranty.....good price

·
Registered
202 Posts
Guys, what is it with the dashcams? Perhaps am missing something here? Practically, what do you use them for on a daily basis?

I understand if we were setting out on a road trip to the himalayas...but going to work or down to the supermarket? Surely there aren't that many accidents with contested fault or bump and run in the carpark that requires them....what am I missing?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Oh JonP :lol: you live in the Hague...... Welcome to UK's scammers, 'Crash for Cash' gangs. Mainly East European but others as well. They will have a car (there other members of the gang) in front of you, and without you knowing the other members of this group/gang in a vehicle in front of them. The car in front will break hard or turn off at the last minute causing the other criminal gang in front of you to brake very hard (stopping on a sixpence) and you will have no chance to avoid a rear end collision with them. They have planned this to get pay outs through your insurance company for whip-lash injuries etc. More often than not they play on the fact when questioned, they don't understand our native tongue :x ....Scrotes the lot of'em if you ask me :x :x Daren't put the words I'm thinking on here in my mind about these ***** That's why I have one mainly, and the other reason... :oops: some people just cannot drive correctly, beggars belief.. Sorry if this offends some people and is not intended to...just my thoughts :|

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That just about covers it Stumpy. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wow - ok
Don't have anything like that here - nor in France where I lived before? Is this a new thing?? Mind you haven't lived in UK for last 19 years!

·
Registered
182 Posts
JonP said:
Wow - ok
Don't have anything like that here - nor in France where I lived before? Is this a new thing?? Mind you haven't lived in UK for last 19 years!
Becoming more popular...Take a look at you tube, search for dash cam videos and you'll see in car footage, then you'll see how useful they are.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts