Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone thought about doing this? I've seen a few cars (not tiguans) with it and personally I think it looks good so I'm going to look at prices etc at the weekend. It's a different car but here's a picture of a Mercedes with it done to see what you's think

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you mean changing the chrome to white, then no I don't think it looks better. That Merc to me screams a bit modified, and the wheels look like aftermarket (not keen on many Mercedes wheels, espeically black).

Chrome went out of fashion in the 80s and car manufacturers started using it again in late 2000s. I personally think it looks classier with the chrome bits (like the SEL/R-line chrome front grill) than without. No chrome is a bit basic like on the S model, and most other cars that lack chrome tend to be entry level.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, I don't mean turning the chrome white as it would look stupid. I mean turning the chrome black as the chrome to me looks ok but a bit dated. Wouldn't touch the wheels as they aren't chrome and the Rline wheels have black in them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Blacking it out just looks dodge to me. The R-Line looks spot on as it is with just the right amout of chrome (front grill etc). I think debadging it cleans up the rear and makes it look really smart.

Of the more premium small SUVs I think the Tiguan R-Line looks best, better than the S Line Q3 and X1 M Sport.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had originally asked my dealer to arrange a 'black out' package for my R-Line. But given the front badge has the ACC sensor behind it and the R-Line has even more chrome bits, I decided to leave it.
I might get some black wheels when my tyres need replacing and sell the Suzuka 20's though everyone comments they look nice. If anyone else gets a black Tiguan and blacks out all the chrome, I'd love to see pics

·
Registered
122 Posts
I didn't in the end. Prior to me collecting the car, they had suggested I could either have the chrome painted or wrapped with 3M 1080 wrap. I am also a bit disappointed that the factory "privacy glass" isn't as dark as I'd expected. Might have to go visit a tinter at some stage

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, apparently the wrap is more hard wearing than the paint when it's applied to chrome. Wrap can also be taken off down the line if you get sick of it. I've emailed 'wrap monkey' in sunderland for a price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BMW do it with the M Sport, they replace the chrome window trims with high gloss black, makes a massive difference and makes the car look so much nicer

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think the opposite, the M Sport looks like someone's attempt to modify their BMW (everyone's been putting black ebay grills on their E46 for years). The X-Line looks better IMO with contrasting door sills and chrome grills and window surrounds. I'm looking at these as well as Tiguans and for me the X-Line stands out next to an M Sport in the showroom. But in Tiguans the R-Line looks the best vs the midrange SEL/SE etc. That said BMW price the X-Line and M Sport the same,

·
Registered
257 Posts
Had black styling on my A5 and it looked good. Looked at buying a new Q5 S line plus and didn't like the black roof bars, grills and window trim. The chrome option looked much better. I don't think I would like black styling on the Tiguan.I like the chrome. It really depends on the actual car, colour etc. It's horses for courses, some like it some don't.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Maybe you should have bought a Tiguan S and put some 20" rims on it - no chrome then :p I think the R-Line looks ace from the factory; a blend of bodykit and chrome makes it look really classy and aggressive. The only thing to finish them off is to fit the bitdi rear diffuser/exhaust setup if not already.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts