Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread on 'detailing' as I know a lot of you guys are into this in a big way.... (One name springs to mind GTD184)

:idea: :arrow: :arrow: Well my wife has bought me an 'electric power-wash' in the new year sales a 'Vax pressure washer 2200w. Having never used one before (always been a hose pipe & bucket person).......
1 Could anyone recommend a good detergent to use which will not strip the car of it's auto-glym Life shine.
2 And can you get a snow foam connection for this, as I've looked on line and can't seem to source one.
Thanks in advance...and if any-one has any good tips on detailing, myself and others I think would be interested to know how to keep the new Tig in pristine condition :) :)

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ed1 & Timbo....yes I have got a good wash mitt, will get a grit guard (good idea) and thanks for the link autobrite :) :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
In this weather i tend to properly wash my car every 2 weeks and then every off week just snow foam it and jet wash it just to get the salt off it. But my main wash checklist would be:

-Snow foam car with ph neutral foam and leave for 10 mins, meanwhile...

- Rinse 3 buckets out with jet wash before using to get rid of any leftover grit from previous wash. Fill 2 buckets with favored shampoo (I use gyeon bathe + for the beading effect) , 1 with clean water (grit guards preferable) and put 2 lambswool mitts in 1 of the shampoo buckets, and put a wheel brush in the other shampoo bucket

- rinse off snow foam with jet washer

-get the wheel brush bucket, start scrubbing each wheel and tyre (spray with additional wheel cleaner/iron out if necessary) and jet wash each wheel once done. Dispose of wheel bucket water and put bucket and brush aside.

- get the other shampoo bucket and the clean water bucket, dedicate one mitt to washing the top areas of the car (roof, Windows, bonnet and top side pannels) and then dedicate the other mitt to the lower areas and rear (grills, lower side panels, rear) wash all the top areas first rinsing your mitt in the fresh water bucket after every section and then do the same with the other mitt for the lower areas (try not to use circular motions, instead using back and forth as straight scratches are easier to repair than circular) ALWAYS WASH YOUR MITTS AFTER EVERY WASH, This elimates all chances of grit being in the mitts which is guaranteed.

- rinse the whole car down with just the hose pipe (sheets of water I find make the shampoo come off easier)

- get a good quality drying towel, I like waffle weaves best as you can rinse them out easier. Dry the car from top to bottom again in back and forth motions not circular, then dry the wheels then go round all of the door jambs and boot. ALWAYS PUT YOUR DRYING TOWL IN THE WASH AFTER EVERY CAR CLEAN, This eliminates all chances of grit getting stuck in towel which will happen.

That's the main clean done. Additional things you can the do is:

- Apply any polishes, sealants to the paint and wheels

- use a tire shining gel (I use Maguires tire gel) this is one of the easiest ways to make your car look in top nick in my opinion with no effort at all.

- use a bumper and trim gel to darken all the exterior plastics (autoglyms product is great)

- use a metal Polish for the exhausts (autoglym again)

- clean all of the windows with a cleaner/Polish (again autoglym)

AGAIN MAKE SURE ALL USE MICROFIBER CLOTHS ARE WASHED AFTER USE

So yeah that's the order I tend to do things every fortnight. Hope it's of help for a few of you guys :D

-

-

·
Registered
432 Posts
After all that washing you will need one of these they are the mutts nuts.

AUTO FINESSE AQUA DELUXE DRYING TOWEL.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow...Thanks 'triggerwizzard'...for all that info mate :D :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Timbo said:
After all that washing you will need one of these they are the mutts nuts.

AUTO FINESSE AQUA DELUXE DRYING TOWEL.
Cheers again 'Timbo' :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
One tip i got from my window cleaner, if you have a water butt - use that to rinse your car, we live in a hard water area so in comparison the water butt water is a lot softer and therefore will leave less marks/make drying easier... I wasn't sure what he meant until i tried it and it really does help! No marks on the windows

·
Registered
16 Posts
No worries mate, might be a little overboard for a quick weekend wash but I'm bloody bound by that method due to my tig being black, I swear it scratches just by looking at it :|

·
Registered
339 Posts
stumpy said:
Thought I'd start a thread on 'detailing' as I know a lot of you guys are into this in a big way.... (One name springs to mind GTD184)

:idea: :arrow: :arrow: Well my wife has bought me an 'electric power-wash' in the new year sales a 'Vax pressure washer 2200w. Having never used one before (always been a hose pipe & bucket person).......
1 Could anyone recommend a good detergent to use which will not strip the car of it's auto-glym Life shine.
2 And can you get a snow foam connection for this, as I've looked on line and can't seem to source one.
Thanks in advance...and if any-one has any good tips on detailing, myself and others I think would be interested to know how to keep the new Tig in pristine condition :) :)
Looks like you have all the detailing info required from our fellow forum members :).......but if you have any questions you know where I/we are ;)

triggerwizzard said:
No worries mate, might be a little overboard for a quick weekend wash but I'm bloody bound by that method due to my tig being black, I swear it scratches just by looking at it :|
My GTD is pearl black so I fully agree with your comment! :( .........hence the reason my wife has ordered her Tiguan in Pure White!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks GTD184 :D :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
rduk said:
One tip i got from my window cleaner, if you have a water butt - use that to rinse your car, we live in a hard water area so in comparison the water butt water is a lot softer and therefore will leave less marks/make drying easier... I wasn't sure what he meant until i tried it and it really does help! No marks on the windows
or a dehumidifier apparently :D haven't tried it yet but we do live in a very hard water area, that said i find that any slight water spot are removed when i dry the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Morning All, just picking up on this thread again. Really useful information above, thanks for taking the time to post. I have a question though on what people do if they're pushed for time and just need to quickly wash the Tig?

I use Zymol and Autoglym Aqua Wax in between more thorough washes, along with Autoglym Tyre Dressing - is there anything else recommended when folks are short of time?

Cheers

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anything by ValetPro, their pH neutral snow foams and shampoos are excellent. The snow foam particularly, it has a strong foam that clings to the body and really grabs up the majority of dirt when washed off. Being on neutral as well, it won't strip the wax off! Added bonus. When I'm putting new wax on, say every 3 months, I'll use a harsher shampoo to strip the old wax.

Honestly, look up ValetPro. They're very well rated in the detailing world. I've used their stuff for years and found it great.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Big fan of Autoglym and Autobrite products, I wash every weekend, hard wax twice a year (Autoglym HD) then aqua wax after every wash.

Autobrite magifoam is really good in a snow foam lance,

Some pics of the paint finish on my R Line, all polishing and waxing been done by hand.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Building Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Window

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts