Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would put this up for discussion.

Think we may have all heard or read lately that certain named cities such as Paris; Madrid; Athens; Mexico are to ban diesel engines by 2025.

Oxford Street in London has been named one of the worst areas in the world for air pollution from mainly diesel engines and I am sure it is only a matter of time before we may follow suit in our own crowded cities bearing in mind how small a island we are compared to other countries.

The worring bit is that 2025 is only 8 years away !..... so I wonder if our Tigs along with millions of other vehicle makes and manufactures fitted with diesel engines be not such a good part ex value in the future....... OR am i wrong ?

Be interesting to hear your comments.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Unless they use a different fuel, surely there must be limit to how clean you can make a diesel engine's emissions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its been on the news every now and then recently, I remember seeing something as early as 2019/2020 for the few big cities in the UK to start charging diesel cars going into the city.
An example of article here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3899830/Diesel-owners-face-congestion-charge-drive-16-cities-ruling-Government-not-doing-meet-EU-air-pollution-targets.html

If it is true and enforced, I can see diesel will be less popular, value less and cost more to own/run

Obviously if you are leasing, no worries, you are covered no matter what.

If you own a VW (dieselgate) and diesel (future), as things stands, it is not in the best situation.

It is also quite clear the industry is moving towards electric, hybrid, hydrogen, renewable energy basically.
So just a matter of time, based on how the government pushes and the automotive industry advance with their technology.

After my 2 year lease is up in Dec 2018, hopefully the direction will be clearer, but for me it is likely to be hybrid.
But depending on the price of leasing it might drop a lot so could still work out, we will see. :roll:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think any of the technicalities of this have been announed yet, but i would assume, and based on the proposed super low emissions zone in London that this is where Euro 6 comes in, in the next 8 years i would think Euro 6 compliant diesels will be fine, then when euro 7 comes out there will be a elapsed time frame, or at least i hope so.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My plan was always to have this, switch it for a hybrid VW in 3 years culminating in full electric by 2022.

I think there will always be a market for cars where the charging infrastructure isn't quite there (so out in the sticks basically). And in 8 years I wouldn't expect a high volume production car like this to hold much value. Maybe more than an equivalent SEAT, Renault or Peugeot but regardless of legislation, they won't be worth huge amounts in 8 years anyway will they?

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you look at all the Diesel Vehicles that are in London/ Oxford street everyday, Delivery vans, Trade Vans, Trucks,buses and London Taxis etc. The most of them are Diesel. You see the odd Hybrid bus, Hydrogen bus and Electric Van. Diesels will be phased out in the Future but they will be around for a long time yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Amazon will get a rush of sale from diesel owners as they arrange for the drone to drop their bought items in the back garden.....Who in theie right mind would want to drive into the centre of London ....or any big city ?
Keep your local high street alive - buy local.....Mrs Miggins pies are most delicious at this time of year...
I can see a park and ride system coming in as well......and if all else fails you could always stay at home and read this forum

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
All Hype, do-gooders trying to get a name for themselves in the city..... I'm not saying there will not be progression to cut emissions & travel into the cities......But... what is the biggest contributor to the central hub of city life......'The diesel Lorry / wagon', without these the infrastructure would come to a standstill. What about pollution from aircraft on the outskirts of the cities, are they going to fly on batteries / electric...not that I know of in the foreseeable future. Electric itself is 89 % fossil or nuclear. This is all to do with city councils money grabbing as usual. I for one can't see this happening in 8 years..... my personal thoughts anyway

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments and as expected mixed views all round to the long term future of diesel power, which is interesting.

Me? I would seem to agree with both HMRC804 and Slowing down, that if Governments both here and abroad take action to curb pollution/emmissions backed up by climate change experts and studies, then maybe this mode [and petrol] will be less common. More and more funds and time seem to be spent on future electric power allthough I cant see the fuel/oil companies share prices , profits and prices being effected for some time yet.

So maybe in 6/8 years time [assuming we can afford it] we will be looking at cars and making decisions not based on bps size or consumption but how far will it go before charging or comparing it to the price of a tank full of hydrogen. In any case with Lane Assit ; ACC; City braking etc etc... which are used now.....by then maybe cars will have so much technology they will be driverless so will we or the next generation really get excited about 0-60 seconds and passive steering etc !!
Just a thought ..

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Exercising me right now.

The car manufacturers are not playing ball: Tiguan has just one petrol engine. No 2 litre wth the SE just in the first CO2 penalty band . No DSG. They are discriminating against those thinking of switching to petrol; especially those with fewer miles I suppose. Petrol is a safety feature as you harm fewer people in cities .

It reminds me of Mini who wrapped the safety feature of the heads-up for the taller with a high end ent. system so the heads-up, if that is all you wanted, cost about 1K.

The car mags are worse, keeping silent about future threats and studiously avoiding any mention of the ratio of NO2 and particulates between petrol and diesel engines on offer for any model, DESPITE going on for ever about the environmental effects of electric cars and hybrids .

If I had a diesel engined vehicle and a finance deal , I would consider an early switch (when there is more choice in petrol engines) for it is hard to imagine the diesel/petrol second-hand value ratio not being affected as City restrictions year approaches

·
Registered
202 Posts
....or perhaps you can all do what some of us have done....stick a finger in the air to the gods of fuel consumption and go for the 2.0L TSI (preferably in automatic, 4Motion, R Line guise - to really stick it to them... :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts