Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, now I have finally got a build this week and can see light at the end of the tunnel... What experience do current diesel owners have of oil consumption?

Reason I ask is that I used to own a 1.9TDI Touran (2009 model) and had to top it up religiously every month as it just sucked up oil compared with any other car I have ever owned. I have actually set a calendar reminder to check the Tiguan monthly when I get it!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Have not used a drop of oil in 6 months....all sorts of driving...ie motorway, A & B roads + towing. I had a new Touran in 2007 had it 3yrs and couldn't believe how much oil it drank also Pumpbhoy. Glad to say having Audi A3 & VW Golf since never had to top them up between services, and so it seems with the Tig.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear. I have a diesel Megane just now and it never needs topped up between annual services. Good to see Volkswagen seem to have improved since my last one then.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi I have Touran 2016 Dsg 1.6TDi at the moment I have put 1/4 liter in at 9000 miles , but I did research running in the car and stuck to it by the letter, will run my Tiguan in on Monday when I pick it up :) . If you Would like the running in details :shock: just PM me

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've done about 4500 miles, mixed driving and still look full.
I'm aware that I'm on the 20k service schedule, so it might have those long life oil?

The reason I said that it's because my previous civic diesel will last between service if using those long life oil, where as if I don't then I need to top up every now and then.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A lot will depend on how the car is run in. If you run the car in gently, then you will suffer high oil consumption for ever more.

·
Registered
176 Posts
As above I just took it easy for 600 miles to let the brakes/tyres etc bed in properly and then drove as normal. Read a lot that cars tend to suffer higher oil consumption when driven like miss daisy

·
Registered
55 Posts
PBB3 said:
Hi I have Touran 2016 Dsg 1.6TDi at the moment I have put 1/4 liter in at 9000 miles , but I did research running in the car and stuck to it by the letter, will run my Tiguan in on Monday when I pick it up :) . If you Would like the running in details :shock: just PM me
Are you able to share on here please?

·
Registered
285 Posts
From HonestJohn web site
For the first 1,000 miles do not exceed 3,000rpm, but make sure you reach 3,000rpm regularly.
If running in on a motorway or autobahn, regularly vary the revs. So (in mph) cruise at 70 for 15 minutes, cruise at 80 for 15 minutes, cruise at 75 for 15 minutes, cruise at 60 for 15 minutes, cruise at 90 for 15 minutes, etc.
For the next 1,000 miles (to 2,000 miles) do not exceed 3,500rpm, but make sure you reach 3,500rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 3,000 miles) do not exceed 4,000rpm, but make sure you reach 4,000rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 4,000 miles) do not exceed 4,500rpm, but make sure you reach 4,500rpm at least a couple of times a week. After that, no limit, but make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week. The benefit of this is it helps to self clean the injectors, it blows any accumulated soot out of the exhaust system and it helps to free off the piston rings, making the engine more efficient and less likely to use engine oil.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hartside, I saw your name and knew it was you! Yes - though I have been out of it for a couple of years now.

PBB3 - that doesn't address the most important job, which is to obtain a good seal from your piston rings (compression and oil control). If you do not get them to seal, then the gasses will escape and form a hard glaze around the escape path. This glaze will then stop the seal from ever occurring, and you will forever have poor power, poor economy and poor oil consumption. To establish the seal, you need to force the rings into the bore using repeated high combustion chamber pressures (the rings are pressure energised) - which you will not get from dawdling around - even if you vary the rpm. When the car is new it's best to avoid high rpm and low rpm (just as bad in a turbo diesel) - hence you need to do lots of relatively spritely acceleration at mid revs on a warm engine for the first 100 to 200 miles. The motorway is not the place to be.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Small world Pottsy, welcome - and good advice on the running in!

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is a small world - and Jayne has a similar Tiguan on order to you, Indium grey SEL 240 with leather (for the memory seats).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pottsy said:
Hartside, I saw your name and knew it was you! Yes - though I have been out of it for a couple of years now.

PBB3 - that doesn't address the most important job, which is to obtain a good seal from your piston rings (compression and oil control). If you do not get them to seal, then the gasses will escape and form a hard glaze around the escape path. This glaze will then stop the seal from ever occurring, and you will forever have poor power, poor economy and poor oil consumption. To establish the seal, you need to force the rings into the bore using repeated high combustion chamber pressures (the rings are pressure energised) - which you will not get from dawdling around - even if you vary the rpm. When the car is new it's best to avoid high rpm and low rpm (just as bad in a turbo diesel) - hence you need to do lots of relatively spritely acceleration at mid revs on a warm engine for the first 100 to 200 miles. The motorway is not the place to be.
My commute to work involves about 15 miles on A roads, some dual carriage way but can be stop start but usually plenty of opportunity for acceleration bursts plus about 7 miles on a motorway, not always practical everyday to avoid. Will this short spell on the mway still give opportunity to follow your technique?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would have thought so - but why not use a route that avoids the motorway? It's only for a few days...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pottsy said:
I would have thought so - but why not use a route that avoids the motorway? It's only for a few days...
At that time the A roads can just be a crawl, which would seem a worse idea?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Go to work earlier?
Or do a 100 mile fun drive when you get the car - on a day off. It's the first 100 to 200 miles that are most important.

·
Registered
97 Posts
PBB3 said:
From HonestJohn web site
For the first 1,000 miles do not exceed 3,000rpm, but make sure you reach 3,000rpm regularly.
If running in on a motorway or autobahn, regularly vary the revs. So (in mph) cruise at 70 for 15 minutes, cruise at 80 for 15 minutes, cruise at 75 for 15 minutes, cruise at 60 for 15 minutes, cruise at 90 for 15 minutes, etc.
For the next 1,000 miles (to 2,000 miles) do not exceed 3,500rpm, but make sure you reach 3,500rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 3,000 miles) do not exceed 4,000rpm, but make sure you reach 4,000rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 4,000 miles) do not exceed 4,500rpm, but make sure you reach 4,500rpm at least a couple of times a week. After that, no limit, but make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week. The benefit of this is it helps to self clean the injectors, it blows any accumulated soot out of the exhaust system and it helps to free off the piston rings, making the engine more efficient and less likely to use engine oil.
This seams a bit excessive, surely this must be for older engines right? Does anyone know what user manual says about this?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pottsy said:
Go to work earlier?
Or do a 100 mile fun drive when you get the car - on a day off. It's the first 100 to 200 miles that are most important.
The fun drive sounds best, depends on when I eventually pick it up :D

I already leave at 6:30 am, and I'm not a morning person ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts