Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Diesel Oil Consumption

13K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Chas 
#1 ·
So, now I have finally got a build this week and can see light at the end of the tunnel... What experience do current diesel owners have of oil consumption?

Reason I ask is that I used to own a 1.9TDI Touran (2009 model) and had to top it up religiously every month as it just sucked up oil compared with any other car I have ever owned. I have actually set a calendar reminder to check the Tiguan monthly when I get it!

#2 ·
Have not used a drop of oil in 6 months....all sorts of driving...ie motorway, A & B roads + towing. I had a new Touran in 2007 had it 3yrs and couldn't believe how much oil it drank also Pumpbhoy. Glad to say having Audi A3 & VW Golf since never had to top them up between services, and so it seems with the Tig.

#3 ·
That's good to hear. I have a diesel Megane just now and it never needs topped up between annual services. Good to see Volkswagen seem to have improved since my last one then.

#4 ·
Hi I have Touran 2016 Dsg 1.6TDi at the moment I have put 1/4 liter in at 9000 miles , but I did research running in the car and stuck to it by the letter, will run my Tiguan in on Monday when I pick it up :) . If you Would like the running in details :shock: just PM me

#5 ·
I've done about 4500 miles, mixed driving and still look full.
I'm aware that I'm on the 20k service schedule, so it might have those long life oil?

The reason I said that it's because my previous civic diesel will last between service if using those long life oil, where as if I don't then I need to top up every now and then.

#8 ·
PBB3 said:
Hi I have Touran 2016 Dsg 1.6TDi at the moment I have put 1/4 liter in at 9000 miles , but I did research running in the car and stuck to it by the letter, will run my Tiguan in on Monday when I pick it up :) . If you Would like the running in details :shock: just PM me
Are you able to share on here please?

#11 ·
From HonestJohn web site
For the first 1,000 miles do not exceed 3,000rpm, but make sure you reach 3,000rpm regularly.
If running in on a motorway or autobahn, regularly vary the revs. So (in mph) cruise at 70 for 15 minutes, cruise at 80 for 15 minutes, cruise at 75 for 15 minutes, cruise at 60 for 15 minutes, cruise at 90 for 15 minutes, etc.
For the next 1,000 miles (to 2,000 miles) do not exceed 3,500rpm, but make sure you reach 3,500rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 3,000 miles) do not exceed 4,000rpm, but make sure you reach 4,000rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 4,000 miles) do not exceed 4,500rpm, but make sure you reach 4,500rpm at least a couple of times a week. After that, no limit, but make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week. The benefit of this is it helps to self clean the injectors, it blows any accumulated soot out of the exhaust system and it helps to free off the piston rings, making the engine more efficient and less likely to use engine oil.

#12 ·
Hartside, I saw your name and knew it was you! Yes - though I have been out of it for a couple of years now.

PBB3 - that doesn't address the most important job, which is to obtain a good seal from your piston rings (compression and oil control). If you do not get them to seal, then the gasses will escape and form a hard glaze around the escape path. This glaze will then stop the seal from ever occurring, and you will forever have poor power, poor economy and poor oil consumption. To establish the seal, you need to force the rings into the bore using repeated high combustion chamber pressures (the rings are pressure energised) - which you will not get from dawdling around - even if you vary the rpm. When the car is new it's best to avoid high rpm and low rpm (just as bad in a turbo diesel) - hence you need to do lots of relatively spritely acceleration at mid revs on a warm engine for the first 100 to 200 miles. The motorway is not the place to be.

#15 ·
Pottsy said:
Hartside, I saw your name and knew it was you! Yes - though I have been out of it for a couple of years now.

PBB3 - that doesn't address the most important job, which is to obtain a good seal from your piston rings (compression and oil control). If you do not get them to seal, then the gasses will escape and form a hard glaze around the escape path. This glaze will then stop the seal from ever occurring, and you will forever have poor power, poor economy and poor oil consumption. To establish the seal, you need to force the rings into the bore using repeated high combustion chamber pressures (the rings are pressure energised) - which you will not get from dawdling around - even if you vary the rpm. When the car is new it's best to avoid high rpm and low rpm (just as bad in a turbo diesel) - hence you need to do lots of relatively spritely acceleration at mid revs on a warm engine for the first 100 to 200 miles. The motorway is not the place to be.
My commute to work involves about 15 miles on A roads, some dual carriage way but can be stop start but usually plenty of opportunity for acceleration bursts plus about 7 miles on a motorway, not always practical everyday to avoid. Will this short spell on the mway still give opportunity to follow your technique?

#19 ·
PBB3 said:
From HonestJohn web site
For the first 1,000 miles do not exceed 3,000rpm, but make sure you reach 3,000rpm regularly.
If running in on a motorway or autobahn, regularly vary the revs. So (in mph) cruise at 70 for 15 minutes, cruise at 80 for 15 minutes, cruise at 75 for 15 minutes, cruise at 60 for 15 minutes, cruise at 90 for 15 minutes, etc.
For the next 1,000 miles (to 2,000 miles) do not exceed 3,500rpm, but make sure you reach 3,500rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 3,000 miles) do not exceed 4,000rpm, but make sure you reach 4,000rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 4,000 miles) do not exceed 4,500rpm, but make sure you reach 4,500rpm at least a couple of times a week. After that, no limit, but make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week. The benefit of this is it helps to self clean the injectors, it blows any accumulated soot out of the exhaust system and it helps to free off the piston rings, making the engine more efficient and less likely to use engine oil.
This seams a bit excessive, surely this must be for older engines right? Does anyone know what user manual says about this?

#20 ·
Pottsy said:
Go to work earlier?
Or do a 100 mile fun drive when you get the car - on a day off. It's the first 100 to 200 miles that are most important.
The fun drive sounds best, depends on when I eventually pick it up :D

I already leave at 6:30 am, and I'm not a morning person ;)

#21 ·
Had four marks of Passat over 14 years and only ever had to put in some oil between services once. That was my earliest Passat in 2003 after the first 600 miles. Since then my oil bottle stayed in its container in the boot.

#22 ·
Checked mine today after 2100 miles and not moved off the mark. Must have run it in ok.

#24 ·
Very little motorway, gentle first 1000 miles. Hit 5000rpm very occasionally in sport mode later. Bear in mind mines petrol and I use Shell Nitro. Very happy as I ordered my Q5 in petrol due to low mileage but later changed to Diesel as I heard of poor oil consumption in TSI's. May have been the earlier ones though. Vindicates my choice now.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Slightly changing the topic, I've owned from new two VW TSi's, 1.8 and 2L, both consistently used oil. My last two cars have been new 2L Audi TSi's and they also needed a 6 weekly oil top up.

Hopefully the Tiguan will be better in this respect when it arrives! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.