Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my normal 10 mile commute this morning I noticed as I arrived at work my tick over was high at 1000 rpm. When stationary and out of gear the engine would not rev over 2500 rpm. Turning off the engine I noticed the engine cooling fans running and a tell-tale acrid burning smell. The increased tickover and rev limitation were the only clue that regen was taking place. By the way, the cars only done 4500 miles in nearly 8 months.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi, I believe this is quite normal as re-gen can take place at any time. It sometimes happens while you are driving and you don't really notice it is happening. This time you just finished your journey while it was in progress. I had this happen quite a few times in my previous cars (Scirocco, Cab). I have only done 2000 miles and had the same scenario after I had done a 112 mile trip.

·
Registered
64 Posts
DPF Regeneration occurs at approximately 500 mile intervals, or when there is significant build up of soot and particles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As said Regeneration takes place as and when the DPF filter fills up dependant on driving style and traffic etc.

If you stop your car in the middle of a regeneration cycle, the Fans will have to continue to run to cool the engine bay down as the regeneration gets the DPF up to 700 degrees C and the fans can run up to 10-15 mins after shut off.

The burning smell is normally more evident in new cars as the assembly oil burns off and the exhaust beds in, this normally dies, but it still get thing hot.

If the car is unable to complete the DPF cycle automatically within a certain time frame the DPF light will come on and you will need to carry out a drive cycle at a nice steady 2500rpm.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does not sound like regeneration process

Simply the hot weather engine running slightly warmer

In neutral the engine won't rev over 2500 to prevent damage
When the engine is slightly hot and the engine stopped the cooling fans will continue to run until the engine has cooled sufficiently

No DPF light on dash confirms no regeneration is taking place

Simply a normal cooling process that will happen more often as summer approaches

·
Registered
64 Posts
neelytom said:

When the engine is slightly hot and the engine stopped the cooling fans will continue to run until the engine has cooled sufficiently

Simply a normal cooling process that will happen more often as summer approaches
There is no such DPF light - not on UK spec Tiggy's anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just to clarify, during normal DPF regeneration you will not see any warning lights, the light will only appear in the centre of the dash if the DPF can't be cleared during during your normal driving routine.

Taken from the MK2 Owners Manual

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Number

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
tekcom said:
neelytom said:

There is no such DPF light - not on UK spec Tiggy's anyway.
There is a dpf light on all diesel Tiguan's it will light amber or red depending on which action is needed
Refer to owners manual for clarification

See pic for symbol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I posted this topic originally was because it is not obvious when a normal regeneration is happening. There are no warning lights, but some obvious clues as to what is happening- higher tickover- possibly caused by extra fuel injected to raise exhaust temperature and cooling fans running on after engine switch off if mid regeneration. My only red herring was the 2500 rpm limit which appears to be set by VW to protect the engine from overrevving in neutral. The only warning lights you get on a DPF system are related to conditions beyond normal soot saturation where intervention is required to burn off the soot. If this is not done eventually the system will require a forced regeneration or DPF replacement.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just prior to any regeneration you will briefly get an amber warning light.

The light will the come on permanently if you driving style is not able to clear the soot
Which will require instructions as per the manual

In the even both the system regeneration fails and your driving cannot clear the light will turn red and require dealer visit

This is all explained In the manual

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Just prior to any regeneration you will briefly get an amber warning light."

Interesting- none of my previous diesels indicated that a normal regeneration was taking place.
I had not noticed any warning lamps on the Tiguan or anything in the manual that suggested there was one.
Can you point me to the section where you found it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Although we are off topic a bit, it brings on a good discussion and helps people understand the DPF system a bit more. :)

No Pre warning light or Red DPF Light is on VWs, are you referring to another Brand ?

If after the you've had the DPF light on for a while and failed to complete a sufficient drive cycle, the system will then time out,

At this point the DPF light stays on and in addition the Engine and Coil light will also come on.

The Car will also go into Limp mode as your in danger of exceeding the max soot levels, which can result in a new DPF which is not covered by warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts