Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Diesel

11K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  rockman2 
#1 ·
As the local Morrisons is about 10 mile away and I urgently wanted some petrol for the mower, I went to the expensive local esso garage in the village, tipicaly about 8p ltr more expensive on all fuels
Whilst at the pump I noticed there was 2 different diesel pumps, I normally use Morrisons for my diesel as does the VW garage where I got the car, googling I found on has more detergent than the other?
My question is what fuel have you found the best for performance and MPG in the MK2 tiggy

#2 ·
I do not have a diesel but I have noticed that I my petrol fuel consumption is slightly better when using the premium fuel stations eg Aral, Shell, ESSO. I haven't noticed any particular effect on performance. I read an article in a German Car magazine where various fuels were tested by an independent tester, they concluded that diesel and petrol from the premium fuel stations was of a better quality with additives that keep the engine internals clean and therefore run more efficiently. In particular they highly recommend the premium diesel to prevent issues with the particle filter, I think in UK you call it the DPF. The difference over here in Germany from using say Shell fuel or a no name supermarket fuel is normally around 2 cents a litre. So for the slight increase in cost I use the premium fuel stations of which many run a loyalty point system which rewards discount on fuel so in time you benefit.

#3 ·
Now you've opened Pandora's Box. :D .
I use to use Shell Nitro Diesel and I believe it gave better mpg and the increased performance was noticable. Others may not agree. ;)

#6 ·
Tricky said:
what's the cost differential in comparison to the MPG differential? Does it make it worthwhile?
In my case (quick bit of maths) I get about extra 25km out of a tank of premium fuel (Aral). 25 Km requires approx 2 ltrs of fuel, 2 ltrs of fuel cost euro 2.68 and I would have only paid an extra euro 1.20 a tank of Aral rather than the cheaper supermarket fuels.

So I save in pocket and have the knowledge that the fuel I am using is burning cleaner in my engine and should hopefully prevent engine issues in the future. (hope I have got my maths right as it is not as good as my English)

#7 ·
Thanks for the info 'DeT'...interesting. I have also always used premium Diesel fuel (Esso or Shell) for a number of years now, more so to stop having problems with the DPF, which I never encountered in my previous Audi A3 sportback. So from your figures it saves me in the pocket also. By the way your English is great :)

#8 ·
Most reviews in UK (What Car) etc. agree that premium fuels do give a bit more mpg but never enough to recoup cost. I have tried them but never noticed a difference so stick to normal diesel now and never had a problem with DPF even when I am doing lots of local journeys so don't but for that reason - I think such problems are a thing of the past. The main reason I avoid now is that BP ultimate diesel and petrol look so different I once put petrol in. The AA told me 90% of such mistakes are when using BP ultimate because they look identical at the pump!!!!

#10 ·
stumpy said:
Thanks for the info 'DeT'...interesting. I have also always used premium Diesel fuel (Esso or Shell) for a number of years now, more so to stop having problems with the DPF, which I never encountered in my previous Audi A3 sportback. So from your figures it saves me in the pocket also. By the way your English is great :)
Sorry may have confused people. When I say premium fuel I mean fuel from a well known fuel company eg Shell, BP, Aral etc rather than fuel from a super market fuel station.

My understanding the different grades of fuel for petrol Super (95 Ron) and Super Plus (97 Ron) also can improve feul consumption but not all petrol engines can run on the Super Plus.
Not sure about the diesel varriants.

Ps Google translate is a very useful for contributing to this great forum.

#11 ·
DET Don't know about Germany but here in UK lots of well known suppliers have two grades of both petrol and diesel - both are the same RON number but the premium one is meant to be cleaner and have additives and is a lot more expensive. They claim higher mileage which is what I was referring to. As far as I know in UK supermarket fuel is identical to main brands basic version.

#12 ·
DeT said:
not all petrol engines can run on the Super Plus.
The various 'super' petrol versions in the UK have a higher RON value and as said above tend to have better additive packages. All petrol engines can use higher RON rated fuels than that recommended/suggested by the manufacturer, they just may not benefit from doing so. To make use of the higher RON they either have to be higher compression (where they would require higher RON to start with) or have knock sensors, and associated engine management, that can optimise the ignition timing to gain the advantage of the higher RON yet run with regular fuel at other times.

Running a vehicle where the manufacturer only recommends a higher RON can have damaging effects over time due to pinking (pre-ignition).

The super fuels also tend, though not always, to have a lower ethanol content. This can be marginally advantageous from a power point of view but also has advantages for fuel system longevity as ethanol can do serious damage over time to fuel lines, seals etc. I use 'super' in my motorcycle primarily for this reason as it has a plastic fuel tank that can potentially, over an extended time, be destroyed by ethanol content in fuel.

#13 ·
salmonfisher said:
DET Don't know about Germany but here in UK lots of well known suppliers have two grades of both petrol and diesel - both are the same RON number but the premium one is meant to be cleaner and have additives and is a lot more expensive. They claim higher mileage which is what I was referring to. As far as I know in UK supermarket fuel is identical to main brands basic version.
Hi salmonfisher, slighly different here. We have Super, Super Plus and E10 and then for diesel Diesel PKW (car). Diesel Ultimate (car) and Diesel LKW (lorry).
Diesel is normally around 24 cent (20p) cheaper than petrol, but diesel owners road tax is alot higher. So they say you need to average 15,000 km a year to start to benefit money wise from having a diesel.

#14 ·
Before seeing the two grades today at the petrol station I thought there was four, derv (Diesel engine road vehicle) red (tractors) and heating oil and chip oil and yes I've driven a car with chip oil, but I'm very interested in all opinions on your thoughts on the mileage people are getting with this new engine technology we supposed to get

#15 ·
rockman2 said:
Miket said:
As the local Morrisons is about 10 mile away and I urgently wanted some petrol for the mower, I went to the expensive local esso garage in the village, tipicaly about 8p ltr more expensive on all fuels
Whilst at the pump I noticed there was 2 different diesel pumps, I normally use Morrisons for my diesel as does the VW garage where I got the car, googling I found on has more detergent than the other?
My question is what fuel have you found the best for performance and MPG in the MK2 tiggy
Would Redex diesel treatment not do a similar thing when added to the fuel?
But what is the price of redex compared to the diesel with the additives in??

#16 ·
Taken from the confused . Com site
Premium fuel costs more at the pump, but is it worth it and what are the benefits?

Fuel pumps

Premium performance fuels like Shell's V-Power Nitro +, BP Ultimate or Texaco Supreme make promises to clean and protect your car and even help squeeze more miles from your tank.

But when it costs more at the pump, is it really worth splashing out on a tank of super fuel?

What is premium fuel?

Super fuel or high performance fuel is petrol with a higher octane rating.

Most standard brands of fuel have a 95 octane rating.

But super fuel typically has a higher rating - around 98 - which can make the engine work more efficiently and improve performance.

You can also buy versions of super fuel suitable for diesel vehicles too, which come with a higher cetane rating.

In the European Union, standard diesel has a minimum cetane number of 51 with premium diesels going as high as 60.

How much does premium fuel cost?

Premium fuel can cost up to 30p a litre more than standard fuel, although the typical gap is around 10p.

At the time of writing (January 2017) the average price for unleaded petrol in the UK is 118.34p and 129.05p for super unleaded. For standard diesel that's 120.98p and 134.37p for premium.

It's not just the big names selling it. Even supermarkets sell upgraded fuel versions, such as Tesco's Momentum 99 or Sainsbury's Super Unleaded.

Is paying extra for premium fuel worth it?

Whether it's worth the extra cost is a point for endless discussion.

Matthew Minter, editorial director of motor manual publisher Haynes, says most people won't drive in a way to notice any difference.

"And 99% of cars will work perfectly well on 95-octane standard unleaded fuel," he adds.

However, says Minter, with certain high-performance sports cars, some experts believe filling them with super fuel can improve performance.

Premium petrol producers make claims of additives designed to clean and protect your engine.

But there's no need to regularly fill up with more expensive fuel if you want to look after the engine of your car - just the occasional tank can do the trick.

Fuel pumps

As for fuel economy, you might only gain a few extra miles per gallon, but over time this should save you a bit of money.

In general, if you can't really see any improvement in fuel efficiency and performance, you probably shouldn't pay premium.

What's more, different cars will respond differently to these fuels, so the only way to find out really is to try out a few tanks' worth and see.

Should you start off with super fuel?

If you're buying a new car, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) says some manufacturers will recommend a particular type of fuel.

For example, Ford suggests using BP Ultimate in its vehicles.

Vauxhall on the other hand doesn't recommend a particular fuel.

Vauxhall spokesman Simon Hucknall says you'd be "wasting your money" by putting high octane performance fuel into most of its standard range of cars, with just a couple of exceptions on its top-of-the-range models."

Should you fill your secondhand car with premium fuel?

If you buy a secondhand car that's been run for years on whatever the nearest pump had to offer, regularly flushing it through with a few tanks of premium fuel can still improve performance.

"However, you're the only one who can decide if there's a noticeable change in performance or measurable improvement in fuel economy that's worth the premium paid for the fuel," says Minter of Haynes.

#17 ·
The above post by Miket, reminds me of the 60's / 70's and was always advised now & again put 4 star petrol in if using 2 star or 3 star and give the car a birthday.....OK not many will know this :oops: :oops: , but some might admit to it :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#18 ·
stumpy said:
The above post by Miket, reminds me of the 60's / 70's and was always advised now & again put 4 star petrol in if using 2 star or 3 star and give the car a birthday.....OK not many will know this :oops: :oops: , but some might admit to it :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1 :lol:

#19 ·
Miket said:
rockman2 said:
Miket said:
Would Redex diesel treatment not do a similar thing when added to the fuel?
But what is the price of redex compared to the diesel with the additives in??
Well I can usually pick up Redex diesel treatment for between £2.50 - £2.99 a bottle. 1 bottle does 2 tanks of fuel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.