Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There,
I am looking to buy a Tiguan (already have a test drive lined up), ideally an SEL (most probably 2.0TDI 150 DSG with metallic paint (I assume you have to purchase the additional steering wheel for £110 if I want DSG paddles, right?)) and having never bought as VW before I wanted to know what level of discount you can get?

I can appreciate its highly dependant on amongst other things - trade in, finance, lease vs. cash but also what targets the dealer has, the quotas that VW has to sell, the demand for the car etc. As I am assume that no-one pays full list price, right? e.g. when we bought the (soon to be replaced) Ford Kuga nearly 8 years ago, we go got 3k off list price + 2k off for scrappage, so 5k off (I can't remember the exact price now but I believe it was 23/24k for the Titanium with few extras at the time) list price

Therefore I welcome any pointers/guidance as I really want to make this a really short conversation at the dealer ( I've seen the youtube videos with xls etc.) and get on with ordering a new Tiguan.

many thanks
Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Check carwow, that'll give you a good sense of what is available. I am sure there are other sites that can also help. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
luxormoonprince said:
I assume you have to purchase the additional steering wheel for £110 if I want DSG paddles, right?
Hi Rob

Std spec for SE Nav and SEL state: Steering wheel, leather multi-function with paddle shift

This just might mean large tactile buttons rather than real proper paddles. ISTR that the demo I drove, which was an SE Nav, had these. I could be mistaken though. I was originally looking to buy the SE Nav but when I realised that the SEL had a couple of the extras I wanted and included quite a few others that were nice-to-haves for only a couple of hundred more £ I switched my order.

As to negotiating a price; try Carwow and others and then try and get your local dealer to get close or even match if you're lucky. I was willing to pay a bit of a premium to use my local franchise but the divide was still just too great so I went with one of the Carwow offers at a dealer 150 miles away. Collecting in a couple of weeks so I hope this decision doesn't come back to haunt me.

Some canny buyers buy on VW PCP, claim the contribution that's on offer (maybe now ended) and then pay off the PCP a week later. Results in a better Carwow offer to start with and gets the extra discount (maybe the PCP prices on Carwow included this?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Yes, use CarWow as negotiatin power and as mentioned; look at going for a PCP and then pay off as you wish; tell them that you plan to change every couple of years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Also check Drive the Deal and Carfile, found that both these offered better discount than I was getting offered at Carwow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys for the quick responses!
Defo will check out CarWow, Drive the Deal and Carfile as suggested. I am in no hurry (and lets be honest, we all like to get a good deal, don't we (or feel that we do :D ))

Also thanks for the update on the paddle shift. I thought it was odd that you had to order a steering separately to get paddles. Therefore it should make my spec so much easier; basically a SEL 2.0TDI 150 DSG, 2WD (although depending on price deal, I could go 4WD) with metallic Indium ;) paint (as there isn't much else I really want).

Sorry to say this I am not a big fan on the R-Line body kit - I think less is more - and for me (don't want to insult or all the guys with R-Lines out there!), the SEL has everything I would add e.g. DRL, Active display, Sunroof etc.

Only other thing possibly is leather but I am not overly fussed. Got 3 children although they are much older (9 - 15) so they tend to make less mess that they used to (other than their bedroom of course )

none the less, appreciate your help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
As you can see from my sig I have pretty well what you're choosing for pretty well the same reason. Added a couple of extras and went for the leather seats in the end though. Good luck with your quest, I didn't find out about the PCP trick until after I'd ordered mine.

Kids are 12 and 15, messy as anything and will be expecting to take over the entertainment system on every journey. Leather is easier to clean, harder wearing and adds a little class IMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
There are a load of new tiggys floating round the market, I got mine in a few days ordered on 1oct picked up on the 10 oct with near 4 grand discount, the only thing I had to compromise on the colour, got it from listers Evesham and I know they have several new in stock as I was talking to the salesman last friday
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
£110 option is for a heated steering wheel [for which version suit the car; so will state with paddleshift if the car you're building is a DSG; but a paddle shift wheel is standard]. All DSG should come with paddles regardless of model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Chas said:
As you can see from my sig I have pretty well what you're choosing for pretty well the same reason. Added a couple of extras and went for the leather seats in the end though. Good luck with your quest, I didn't find out about the PCP trick until after I'd ordered mine.

Kids are 12 and 15, messy as anything and will be expecting to take over the entertainment system on every journey. Leather is easier to clean, harder wearing and adds a little class IMHO
Chas I think you can still do the cps trick as you've not picked your car up yet and the cps should not be running!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
SEL. Good choice. Still waiting on mine but it was lovely to drive when I took one out.

I decided against 4WD. Couldn't really warrant the extra cost when 99.9% of the time my driving is on main roads.

Kind of wishing I had / could afford to have gone for leather seats for the electric / memory adjustments as I get really annoyed if someone changes it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually did the CarWow thing and my local deal has comeback with a 8.6% for Cash and 11.7% discount for finance so that doesn't look bad although I am sure it could be bettered - let me know what you think?
Thanks
Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I am buying mine through Drive the Deal and had a 12% (£4300) discount for cash. It would have been even more with finance.
A very simple and very professional service.
My local dealer could not get anywhere near that price.
Ordered on Feb 10th and has been "In Transit" for 2 weeks now.
Might be lucky and get it for Easter but realistically May 1st.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
I got a 14.5% discount from my Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI (£5112). I've been meaning to write a detailed post about it, but I'll summarise here

1. Watched this video, then followed the steps
2. Specced my car, putting all the details into a spreadsheet (see the video for details)
3. Got 3 quotes for the following places, putting them into the spreadsheet
- Drive The Deal (15.27%)
- Car Wow Best Price from any dealer (14.5%) from Doncaster
- Car Wow Best Price from my local dealers (13.2%)
4. took screenshots of the best deals, plus a screenshot of my spreadsheet into my dealer
5. Question EVERY figure that is put in front of you - they tried to add extra's onto my car at silly prices to pad their commission.
6. Dont take anything you aren't fully educated about like tyre insurance, gap insurance paint protection etc - I can guarantee you can get them cheaper, and you can always request these after you have ordered

This got me my 14.5% discount without them even trying to question, because I had done my research, showed my knowledge, and stayed in control. In hindsight I think I could have pushed for more (it was my first time buying a car) and then come down, Think of CarWow discounts as a first offer

I will try to write a new topic on this with some additional details when I get the chance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks all,

Got more CarWow quotes and Drive the deal - so getting 13.7% & 15% discount respectfully. So whilst I know it doesn't correlate to the same percentage discount / month on PCP finance e.g. on the VW website its £302/month and applying discount (15%) -which is a £4840 saving off the list price- does bring this figure down to £256/month it does give me a ballpark in that is will be somewhere between these two figures (hopefully nearly to the lower price).

Again, appreciate the pointers but TBH I'd be overall happy with that level of discount even if there is probably a few more % to squeeze out. By default I will avoid dealer depreciation/ paint / wheel insurance / protection etc. as I've never heard of anyone ever that has anything positive to say about these 'extras'

Still contemplating 2WD vs 4WD and I agree with previous commentary that 99.5% of the time it would be used on road. Having said that, it would be nice that on the odd occasion that I do venture down a muddy track or when we camp, I don't have think hard on where I am going (I would say the same about icy weather but given I live in the south its something again, I rarely have to worry about). So logically 2WD would suffice but I think it really depends on the finance differential
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Just bear in mind with the leather seats, they are heated and have electrical adjust & memory which you can individually set to the two sets of keys ie his & hers profile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
luxormoonprince said:
thanks all,

Got more CarWow quotes and Drive the deal - so getting 13.7% & 15% discount respectfully. So whilst I know it doesn't correlate to the same percentage discount / month on PCP finance e.g. on the VW website its £302/month and applying discount (15%) -which is a £4840 saving off the list price- does bring this figure down to £256/month it does give me a ballpark in that is will be somewhere between these two figures (hopefully nearly to the lower price).

Again, appreciate the pointers but TBH I'd be overall happy with that level of discount even if there is probably a few more % to squeeze out. By default I will avoid dealer depreciation/ paint / wheel insurance / protection etc. as I've never heard of anyone ever that has anything positive to say about these 'extras'

Still contemplating 2WD vs 4WD and I agree with previous commentary that 99.5% of the time it would be used on road. Having said that, it would be nice that on the odd occasion that I do venture down a muddy track or when we camp, I don't have think hard on where I am going (I would say the same about icy weather but given I live in the south its something again, I rarely have to worry about). So logically 2WD would suffice but I think it really depends on the finance differential
One thing to consider about 4wd is the resale, as 2wd SUV's will be harder to shift.

Good luck with your purchase, we looo forward to hearing your final spec and options list!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
print out the spec from vw configurator , along with the best price from online broker
walk into your chosen vw dealership inform the salesman you will order the vehicle right now if he beats the price
thats all i did simple and painless 6k discount and 2 yrs free servicing plus discount on accessories ordered
unasked for extras from the very good salesman who kept me informed regular with calls emails and videos of the cars build progress and delivery full tank petrol, bottle of moet , vw gift pack
took pcp to get to get dealer contribution then payed off in full day after delivery
happy customer who will go back to the same guy to buy my next vw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
tonymar said:
print out the spec from vw configurator , along with the best price from online broker
walk into your chosen vw dealership inform the salesman you will order the vehicle right now if he beats the price
thats all i did simple and painless 6k discount and 2 yrs free servicing plus discount on accessories ordered
Despite me going in with the configurator URL with all options etc. added to make it easy for them my local VW dealer wasn't interested in coming close on price, I even offered a £500 premium over the price from the distant dealer I finally went with as I would prefer to work with a local outfit if I possibly can. The final gambit was trade-in on the old family bus SEAT Alhambra, if they could match a WeBuyAnyCar offer then they could have saved me the hassle and made the decision easier, however, they offered what I would consider scrap value (half the WBAC opening offer). That was the final straw and they lost the sale.

A friend bought a Tiguan from them a few weeks earlier, walked in and paid full list price on a PCP deal on an in-stock vehicle. There are obviously enough of those types of customer around to keep this dealership happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
tonymar said:
took pcp to get to get dealer contribution then payed off in full day after delivery
happy customer who will go back to the same guy to buy my next vw
That's what I'm doing as well. If you don't mind me asking, how did they want the payment, was it by Bank transfer in branch or can it be done in online banking?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top