Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the brochure but am still unclear about the benefits of upgrading the navigation system from "Media" to "Pro". Can anyone help? Many thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As far as i understood the Pro version has these things better than the Media:

1. Can display map on both active info display as well as in the infotainment view
2. Two SD cards slots as the maps are stored internally
3. Faster operation
4. This one I am not sure, but can display 3D objects in navigation (ex. the Eiffel Tower)

·
Registered
328 Posts
eelir said:
1. Can display map on both active info display as well as in the infotainment view
I was wondering how MikeT was managing to do that in his car... I'll give up looking for that option in the menus of my vanilla Discover Media system then :roll:

I believe that you can also store music internally as well. Not a big deal TBH.

3. Faster operation
I'm amazed at how fast the Discover Media is compared to the system in the wife's Golf, that takes 15 seconds to read the SD card before you can select any music. By comparison it's instantaneous.

4. This one I am not sure, but can display 3D objects in navigation (ex. the Eiffel Tower)
I have this on my Garmin sat nav I use on the bike, switched it off as it's just pointless distracting eye candy IMHO.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Pro has a hard drive inside

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chas said:
eelir said:
I was wondering how MikeT was managing to do that in his car... I'll give up looking for that option in the menus of my vanilla Discover Media system then :roll:

I believe that you can also store music internally as well. Not a big deal TBH.

3. Faster operation[/

I'm amazed at how fast the Discover Media is compared to the system in the wife's Golf, that takes 15 seconds to read the SD card before you can select any music. By comparison it's instantaneous.

I have this on my Garmin sat nav I use on the bike, switched it off as it's just pointless distracting eye candy IMHO.
Like this

·
Registered
328 Posts
Miket said:
Like this
OK you flash git :roll: :D

I think this gets filed in the same 'cabinet' as the alternate, read better, traffic data providers that once connected to car-net would be available. Not sure if it's a possibility on the Discover Media system but I haven't found that option either.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't know If there's settings in the media centre but all I do is set it with the button on the right of steering wheel where you set all the different dash setings

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chas said:
Miket said:
Like this
OK you flash git :roll: :D
Your the computer expert :lol:
using the right button on the steering wheel go to views and you should see navigation that's how mine is set :?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I believe that it is also voice activated enabled, has a DVD player rather than just CD (so you can watch DVDs on the screen in the middle when not driving) and for new orders now, I think it boasts the new larger screen (if it didn't already).

You also get the Guide and Inform Plus (although I don't know what that entails fully and whether many people manage to get it working).

From the price list booklet (the bold red is the differences that I could see from the descriptions):

Discover Navigation Pro
touch-screen navigation/DVD
radio system with integrated
voice activation, 'Gesture Control',
Car-Net 'Guide and Inform Plus' 2
and Car-Net 'App-Connect'

Voice activated control system - responds to spoken voice commands for navigation and telephone
functions. 9.2"
colour touch-screen control system for navigation, DVD, CD and radio functions and
Volkswagen Media Control, allowing remote control of the infotainment system via a smartphone or tablet.
64 GB SSD hard drive. Preloaded European navigation data, 3D map view, three calculated routes (Fast,
Short, Eco), dynamic navigation based on TMC+, branded points of interest, Speed Limit Display3, photo
display from JPEG and PNG files and SD card reader x 2.
'Gesture Control' enables convenient operation of
menu functions via a simple sideways gesture
, easily select radio stations, songs or photos with a single
hand movement. 3-years Car-Net 'Guide and Inform Plus' access providing online access to a range of useful
information such as traffic, fuel pricing, parking space availability, weather and news feeds. Includes online
navigation software updates, enabling you to download the latest map data. Please contact your authorised
Volkswagen retailer for full detail
I think I got most things, but I didn't have my glasses on at the time so apologies if I have missed anything.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Miket said:
Your the alleged computer expert :lol:
using the right button on the steering wheel go to views and you should see navigation that's how mine is set :?
Yes, that brings the nav to the Active Display but at the same time looses it from the centre console, the more detailed schematic of the next junction is shown there along with the nav menu items but the rest is blank. I think the duplicated nav screen must be a feature of the Discover Pro version (assume that's what you have).

As it is it's not a problem as I tend to either have a teenager or wife riding shot-gun and they prefer to fiddle with the audio. Little point in having the same info in two places at once and the junction detail schematic can be displayed in the centre of the speedo with the ACC driver aid in the centre of the tacho. That works nicely for me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chas said:
Miket said:
Yes, that brings the nav to the Active Display but at the same time looses it from the centre console, the more detailed schematic of the next junction is shown there along with the nav menu items but the rest is blank. I think the duplicated nav screen must be a feature of the Discover Pro version (assume that's what you have).

As it is it's not a problem as I tend to either have a teenager or wife riding shot-gun and they prefer to fiddle with the audio. Little point in having the same info in two places at once and the junction detail schematic can be displayed in the centre of the speedo with the ACC driver aid in the centre of the tacho. That works nicely for me.
Yes mine is the discover pro (generation 2) whatever that is?
You do lose some bits on the dash screen what you get on the media screen but it's very rare I have both screens on

·
Registered
55 Posts
Miket said:
Chas said:
Miket said:

Yes mine is the discover pro (generation 2) whatever that is?
You do lose some bits on the dash screen what you get on the media screen but it's very rare I have both screens on
Yes you need the pro to have the sat nav displayed on both screens

·
Registered
134 Posts

I'm not sure that's correct, from the brochure both Discover Nav and Discover Nav Pro can display SatNav on both screens. At least that better be the case with my SEL when it comes. That said I'm not sure I would have spent £1400 for the Pro version ;)

"When used in navigation mode in conjunction with the Discover
Navigation or Discover Navigation Pro systems, you can move the speedometer
and rev counter to the edge of the display, creating more space for the
navigational map. If you wish, you are able to include driving, navigation and
assistance functions within the graphics of the speedometer
"

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
ACS said:

I'm not sure that's correct, from the brochure both Discover Nav and Discover Nav Pro can display SatNav on both screens. At least that better be the case with my SEL when it comes. That said I'm not sure I would have spent £1400 for the Pro version ;)

"
Yes you can display the map on both screens on the Discover Media, but NOT at the same time !

Steve

·
Registered
55 Posts
Essjay said:
ACS said:

"
Yes you can display the map on both screens on the Discover Media, but NOT at the same time !

Steve
Yes that's the key point, the discover can have the nav on either screen but one or the other. The pro can have it on both at the same time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That explains it, I think one or the other is fine and certainly not worth the additional cost for both at the same time. That said the MY18 Pro looks better value with the bigger screen

·
Registered
55 Posts
ACS said:
That explains it, I think one or the other is fine and certainly not worth the additional cost for both at the same time. That said the MY18 Pro looks better value with the bigger screen
Yes that's the clincher the bigger screen now and additional gesture control, if the MY18 options were available to me I would have gone for the Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm probably missing a deeper point but..... why would you want the map in two different places? Surely it's more useful to have the map on one and some other info (media etc) on the other?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gary_W said:
I'm probably missing a deeper point but..... why would you want the map in two different places? Surely it's more useful to have the map on one and some other info (media etc) on the other?
Maybe so the driver can easily see while driving but so passenger can also see if they are helping navigate?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts