Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone updated theirs yet and if so whats the process. I believe you need an sd card from dealer then download from VW website but not sure.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, I have visited that site, just wondered if anyone had done it yet. It does say

Important : all the individual segments have to be downloaded to use the map. The map data won't work if a segment is missing.

I wondered if you had to download all the different countries.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Axel but I thnk mine is ssd based not sd.

Yes brochure says 64gb ssd.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Beagler,
It's still the same process though. You have an sd card slot in the glove box. I think you just have to have a 32gb class 10 sd card and do exactly the same thing. The only difference is that once you put the sd card into the glove box unit you go into the setup menu of the nav and press update. From there the sd card loads the maps to the ssd unit in the car.

That's what the VW site explains anyway, so hopefully pretty straight forward. It does say that so long as you have that class of disc it doesn't have to be the VW one, as you only loading maps.

Here's the link:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?Page=VW_Discover_Pro_PDF&NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Axel

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just read manual and it says only use sd cards from vw dealer not any others.

G

·
it doesn't always detect the SD card from the dealer in the dicovercare app. first time i did it i just unpacked the 13Gb file directly to the sd card. The app did then see my SD an official VW one.

November update kept saying server offline so I just did the same and it works fine.

Either way it really is simple.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you get a vw sd card from dealer and how much please.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ok this could be a Doh moment, from what I'm understandings if I take the SD card from my tig from slot one after downloading the whole new updated maps on to my mac I've no need to format the SD card is this correct as the new download will automatically override the old maps?? :shock:
Do we need to do both europe 1 and 2 or can we get away with europe 1 only? cheers :?

G

·
They are different regions and the UK is in region 1. The Discover app does all the work for you when it works. Back up your old maps on your HDD and then unpack the zip file onto your SD card.

Beagler, The SD was in the car already as I have Discover.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
welshkaiboy said:
They are different regions and the UK is in region 1. The Discover app does all the work for you when it works. Back up your old maps on your HDD and then unpack the zip file onto your SD card.

Beagler, The SD was in the car already as I have Discover.
Ok. Rang dealer yesterday, they have not a clue, said he'd ring back, still waiting.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ok gone and done as instructed on the internet page, told me to load vw ad card which I did then it started to download for 2 hrs. Came back to it and everything had closed down so not sure if it was all done? Put sd card back in car and and it says maps are 2016/17 does this mean this is the latest update anyone know? Cheers

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FTT said:
Ok gone and done as instructed on the internet page, told me to load vw ad card which I did then it started to download for 2 hrs. Came back to it and everything had closed down so not sure if it was all done? Put sd card back in car and and it says maps are 2016/17 does this mean this is the latest update anyone know? Cheers
Got my car end of Sept and my map database says 2016/2017 but if the updates come out in May and November, how does that work?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Folks,
Here's a link to the VW Germany site which shows which version of the software is current.

http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/infotainment/de/de/manuals.html

This show the correct version for the discovery media nav: Font Screenshot Rectangle Technology Software

This is for the discovery plus, i.e. The ssd version
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Software Rectangle

I think what you guys are describing is the older maps, i.e. 2016/17. The new version only has 2017 at the end of the file name. I was running 2016/17 before the update, but I'm now using the updated version shown above.

I believe, but haven't tested this as I don't have the ssd version in my Tiguan, that if the update to the ssd is interrupted it starts again the next time the ignition is turned on.

Hope this helps.

Axel

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Cheers guys, Axel I have sd version I take when you put the card back in the car it took a while before you could use the Nav maps as it loads again into the car hard drive system? :roll:

·
Registered
209 Posts
FTT,
No it didn't take anytime at all.

I used the vwdiscoverycare program. I inserted my original nav sd card into my pc, opened the vwdiscoverycare program. The program checked for updates and said there were new maps. It then downloaded them and saved them to original VW sd card. That took 4 hours on a good internet connection. Then the program stated that the new maps had been installed:
Computer Gadget Font Display device Parallel

I then took the sd card to the car, inserted it into the glovebox unit in slot 1, turned on the media unit and opened the nav. Then after 20 seconds the nav was fully ready. I checked the software version, which showed the update and also I could see a newly opened road which wasn't there in my 2026/17 version.

The thing to be sure of is that you have to let the discoverycare program load the whole map set, either region 1 or 2. Uk is region 1, i.e. All of Western Europe. If you try to just load uk i don't think it works as the data is handled as a protected block, by the region.

Axel

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
To be more precise Europe 1 region is almost whole Europe not just Western part. See screenshot from DiscoverCare below. Countries included are listed as well

Product Azure World Font Line

I will update mine when back home on Saturday

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts