Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone,

I am waiting for the ordering books to open on the new Tiguan and I wonder if this model has hill hold feature? Unfortunately, my dealers don't know.

The dealership told me that they think hill hold is a standard feature. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance for any info on the subject!

·
Registered
202 Posts
When you go on holiday :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hill hold also comes in handy when you stop anytime ie at traffic lights or in a queue as you don't have to keep flicking handbrake on and off .
Just come to a stop then set off again .
Only thing is that when the green light comes on to say that the hill hold is activated it keeps the brake lights lit up so can be quite dazzling to whoever is behind especially at night if you're sitting there for some time .
Even more so now with the led rear lights which are bloody bright .
All you need to do is flick the handbrake on and it cuts out the brake lights but when you set off just press the throttle and it releases the brake and off you go .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I've had my manual Tig SE NAV 4M for 6 months now and very happy with it.

But I'm living on my nerves with the auto hold feature which was new to me.
A few times on hills I've felt myself rolling back and it really unnerves me. I've been driving manual and autos for 40 years and have never felt so anxious as I do now when I stop on a hill.

I've studied the online videos and manual but I can't get a handle on what technique to employ to start off smoothly and without rolling back.

Can anybody tell me what they do please

Cheers

·
Registered
463 Posts
Soxontig said:
Hi,

I've had my manual Tig SE NAV 4M for 6 months now and very happy with it.

But I'm living on my nerves with the auto hold feature which was new to me.
A few times on hills I've felt myself rolling back and it really unnerves me. I've been driving manual and autos for 40 years and have never felt so anxious as I do now when I stop on a hill.

I've studied the online videos and manual but I can't get a handle on what technique to employ to start off smoothly and without rolling back.

Can anybody tell me what they do please

Cheers
When you stop just press the brake firmly. If you just roll to a stop it wont kick in.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Soxontig said:
Cheers Beagler, I'll try that.
Autohold relies on the ABS pump to provide brake pressure, you pressing the brake utilises this. After a short time to protect the ABS pump from overheating the handbrake takes over.
The Autohold needs the engine runnng. When the engine is switched off the handbrake motors kick in to apply the handbrake.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Love the Auto-Hold function!! Traffic lights - you don't have to sit there with your foot on the brake! I didn't use it at first but after reading about it here, I thought I'd give it a try. Fantastic!!
The only downside is that if you're doing some parking manoeuvres where you do want just to have the car 'creep' under its own power, you either have to be extremely gentle with the braking so it doesn't activate or you just turn it off for that

·
Registered
11 Posts
Beagler,

Tried your suggestion and the bluddy thing still rolls back!!

So, on a hill facing upwards, in neutral, auto hold is engaged or so the indicator light says, engage gear, car rolls back.
Do I physically have to disengage the manual handbrake and find the clutch biting point and then start off ? In which case what's the point of autohold ?

Sorry to be such a dummy but I'm having real difficulty with this !

·
Registered
463 Posts
Soxontig said:
Beagler,

Tried your suggestion and the bluddy thing still rolls back!!

So, on a hill facing upwards, in neutral, auto hold is engaged or so the indicator light says, engage gear, car rolls back.
Do I physically have to disengage the manual handbrake and find the clutch biting point and then start off ? In which case what's the point of autohold ?

Sorry to be such a dummy but I'm having real difficulty with this !
If its switched on and doing what you say its a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
953 Posts
When hill hold is on there should be a green brake light top of the speedo cluster, it turns red when the full hand brakes on

1 - 15 of 15 Posts