Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being an old fashioned engineering type, I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance. To that end, in previous diesel cars fitted with DPF systems, I have added a bottle of Wynns or STP dpf regenerator liquid to a full tank of fuel at regular intervals. The fluid is supposed to reduce the temperature at which the soot burns thereby cutting back on the need for frequent regeneration which can occur with shorter journeys and town driving. In all the time I have had a DPF equipped car I have never had a warning light. How much is down to the additive I don't know. I have yet to try this in the Tiguan. What do others think?

·
Registered
463 Posts
You would think it would be a standard Diesel addative at the pump.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It depends on which diesel cars you had previously, as some earlier DPF engined cars were prone to lights and issues in urban driving. They are much better now and also use more regular passive regeneration.

I have had a couple of PD 170 engines which were some of the first VAG 4cylinders to get the DPF in 2006 and they would have DPF lights on if you didn't take it for a run after a few days town driving. In fact dealers used to dissuade buyers from this engine if they said they didn't do much motorway mileage!

On a new Tiguan I think they have got the system working a lot better to not have to worry about the DPF light.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Because of the presence of SCR (AdBlue) the DPF filter is not getting hammered as much as in the older diesels. The engine can work under higher compression ratio and temperature and burn diesel more completely. Hence modern diesels are not producing as much of black smoke. The downside of higher temperatures in combustion chamber is that there is more NOx being produced, but those are taken care by SCR.

I personally wouldn't use any DPF cleaner in the car with SCR if you ask me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts