Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just out of interest.
We have an R line DSG 2 wheel drive 150 on order.
Our daily commute is 24 miles a day on the school run, 6 miles each way twice a day, averaging 30 to 45 mph. takes us ten minutes each way to get to the school from the house on a straight run which is practically every day. no stop/starting.
How do we stand with the dpf, I realise that taking it for a 20 minutes blast up the motorway every now and again will help, but besides that. And will the adblue help in anyway.
On our new shape Nissan QQ which we had in petrol crussified us for MPG in my style of driving which is why we have gone for diesel this time around in the hope it will make things better.
We still have time to cancel :D
just as an add on, we used to have a Renault grand scenic in 2004 from new and it took 8 years for the egr valve to go and the dpf needed replacing
This will be a keeper so the fact of the car keeping its price will not be a factor either
Long question I know, but give it you best shot :lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wouldn't even give it a second thought. Vag diesels haven't had any issues with dpf since the cr diesels were launched in 2008. The 170 pd engine prior to the common rail engine had issues but that's it. I had a 2011 a3 with the 170 cr engine which sometimes didn't do a long journey in a month and was perfectly fine. Wife had a tt with the same engine no issues and a mate has an a3 with the 150 engine that never does more than a 5 mile journey and never had an issue. In 7 years of floating around the Audi forums I don't recall a single post.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I too think DPF shouldn't be a problem when you take your Tig for proper 4 or 5th gear blast on the motorway let's say fortnightly.
What you may suffer is MPG. I commute 20 miles each way and normally I'm getting around 45 mpg but noticed "since start" consumption for the first 10 miles of my commute is something around 30mpg. So I reckon that would be your average mpg figure.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SlimPollack said:
I too think DPF shouldn't be a problem when you take your Tig for proper 4 or 5th gear blast on the motorway let's say fortnightly.
What you may suffer is MPG. I commute 20 miles each way and normally I'm getting around 45 mpg but noticed "since start" consumption for the first 10 miles of my commute is something around 30mpg. So I reckon that would be your average mpg figure.
Thats a bit of a bummer but Im sure we can live with it :D
without trawling the interwebs, how many gallons (in old money) does the tank hold?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi NP

I've got all the the best bits to ensure really poor MPG :eek: and get about 33 to 36 mpg on a 6 mile urban run to the office so you may do better!

I got about 25 mpg recently on a similar run - but the 1,300kg caravan on the back may have been something to do with it :)

Cheers
Earl

·
Registered
352 Posts
Negativepitch said:
Winter temperatures don't help much here as well.

without trawling the interwebs, how many gallons (in old money) does the tank hold?
It's 59 litres so approx. 13 gallons

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've just hit 800 miles and my long term average has crept up to 38mpg and this tank is running at 46mpg after 200 miles. Seems to be averaging high 30's for short town driving and 45-47mpg for any journey over 10 miles. That's with heated seats always on in a 4 motion dsg 150 r line. So far very impressed

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SlimPollack said:
Negativepitch said:
Winter temperatures don't help much here as well.

It's 59 litres so approx. 13 gallons
cheers Slim

·
Registered
27 Posts
quick question to add to the post as I'm pretty much in the same boat but luckily on A roads to work.

what does people see in miles to a full tank?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Problem with going by others is how do they drive? My daughter always complains of not getting advertised mpg, but she always wellies it. (suppose kind of like me at that age :) ) I can get v good mpg if I drive laid back. If I decide I want to use the pull it obviously goes down. All I'm saying is, when people post their mpg, also describe their driving (geriatric, cautious, spirited, pushy, bat outa hell!) :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Daintier,
Now up to 2500 mls on a 150 TDI DSG 4WD ; can confirm approx same mpg as Winrya.... 45/47 on mainly non rural ; should get 600 miles [as show on display] to a full tank assuming this was mainly [legal] A road run. So far I am quite pleased with this bearing in mind the cold weather start ups etc.
Dont see much mpg difference in eco or normal mode selection so far and only used sport on odd occasion to give it a blast.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Negativepitch said:
just out of interest.
We have an R line DSG 2 wheel drive 150 on order.
Our daily commute is 24 miles a day on the school run, 6 miles each way twice a day, averaging 30 to 45 mph. takes us ten minutes each way to get to the school from the house on a straight run which is practically every day. no stop/starting.
How do we stand with the dpf, I realise that taking it for a 20 minutes blast up the motorway every now and again will help, but besides that. And will the adblue help in anyway.
On our new shape Nissan QQ which we had in petrol crussified us for MPG in my style of driving which is why we have gone for diesel this time around in the hope it will make things better.
We still have time to cancel :D
just as an add on, we used to have a Renault grand scenic in 2004 from new and it took 8 years for the egr valve to go and the dpf needed replacing
This will be a keeper so the fact of the car keeping its price will not be a factor either
Long question I know, but give it you best shot :lol:
To enjoy the fuel economy benefits of diesel cars you really need to be doing the miles. A 6 mile trip each way is unlikely to reap any noticeable savings as Diesel engines take longer to warm up than petrol engines and it is only when they reach optimum operating temperature are they running at their most efficient.

My wife uses my Golf GTD DSG on occasions to work which similarly to your use. She travels 6 miles each way on A roads so no stop starting. She barely gets 34mpg with the DPF operating every 5 days or so. In her previous A3 1.8 petrol 'Black Edition' she used to manage mid 40's mpg!

Every week I drive to Coventry which is a 20 mile journey each way and one straight A road all the way, 90% of the time I can guarantee that the DPF will be running a re-gen during this trip, a trip that normally indicates 45-50mpg at a steady 60-70mph.

If you do not do the miles there is the risk of the DPF becoming blocked which would normally indicated as a warning in the cockpit pit display. If you ignore the warning the DPF becomes totally blocked with the engine then shutting down into "limp home mode" which will require vehicle recovery to a VW dealer where a forced Re-Gen will have to be conducted which is at a cost to the owner/customer!

·
Registered
352 Posts
DANTIGR said:
quick question to add to the post as I'm pretty much in the same boat but luckily on A roads to work.

what does people see in miles to a full tank?
Hi Dan.
Mine's averaging around 500miles.

Click on my Fuelly for more details.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Got me thinking now... Got a diesel on order and my daily commute is 20 miles (10 each way) with a mix of dual carriageway and motorway. Should I be worried about the DPF? We will be using the car for longer journeys on the weekend as will be main family vehicle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Interesting diesel fuel consumption stats. I haven't had my SEL 2.0 TSI long, around 600 miles. Collected my car and drove it home 380 miles, 48.6 mph, 36.8 mpg. Since then essentially short journeys of 4 miles or so on mixed roads and I seem to be getting 30-31 mpg. Seems like a good return on a gallon of petrol.

·
Registered
257 Posts
RichyP said:
Got me thinking now... Got a diesel on order and my daily commute is 20 miles (10 each way) with a mix of dual carriageway and motorway. Should I be worried about the DPF? We will be using the car for longer journeys on the weekend as will be main family vehicle.
Last diesel I had was a VW Scirocco. Bought it new and did 5000 miles a year, mainly City/town driving and kept it 3 years. Never had to take it on a long drive for the DPF nor did the DPF give any trouble.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had my 2.0tdi 150 DSG 2WD SEL for 3.5 months now and done 4,100 miles and had no issues with DPF and average 600 miles per tank from a 15 mile each way commute (3.5 miles A roads and the rest on B roads). From past experience with Diesel and DSG Vag group cars I think the auto box keeps the revs high when it's doing a re-gen where as a manual you have to drop it down.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The well known motroing pundit Honest John says....and I apreciate this is an "older tech" engine in his Golf...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-cars/2016-12/top-10-petrol-or-diesel-in-2017/?image=1

"We've compared 10 of the UK's most-popular petrol and diesel cars to find out which give the best value for money over three years and/or 30,000 miles. However, please note that modern diesels - with a diesel particulate filter - require more than 15 miles to operate properly and are not suitable for a succession of short runs from cold.

Volkswagen Golf - Buy a petrol. Diesel requires 53,904 miles to break even
Its reputation might have taken a hammering in the Volkswagen Emissions Scandal, but the Golf has endured the tidal wave of negative publicity to retain its place as one of the UK's most-popular family hatchbacks.
The 1.6 TDI 110PS (three-door in S trim) costs £1005 more than the 1.4 TSI with 125PS to buy, but promises 74.3mpg and 99g/km of CO2. However, Real MPG shows it to take 53,223 miles to return the initial extra cost, which means the petrol is the best value over three years. "
The same report shows the Nissan Qashcai just breaks even as a diesel, but the Audi A3 2.0 disel takes 290000 mls to brake even!

I run a quite highly tuned GTi, with a 2L TFSi engine modied from a standard 230hp to now give 345hp...and that will still give over 30 mpg on the motorway at 70 mph. Petrol engines have rea!ly come a long way in recent years!
However, the major disadvantage is that when pushing on, the consumption will drop to low 20s meaning a range of less than 280 miles. On the up side this is FUN! :twisted:

IMO the modern consensus is that diesels nowadays are not only mechanically unsuitable for short commutes, they do not make financial sense either. Loads to read on tinternet....

Seat Ateca is available with a 1.0 engine
This Autocar report makes interesting references to the Tiguan versus the Ateca...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/seat/ateca/first-drives/2016-seat-ateca-10-tsi-ecomotive-se-review

I would suggest the smaller engined, or petrol variants would be more suitable if you really must have an SUV for the school run.

My stance? I run both petrol and diesel cars..."horses for courses". I Also run 5000HP of diesel generators for a living.

Sorry, for the long post, but this is a subject I am"passionate" about! Don't mean to be preachy, but many of our friends have "defaulted" or been persuaded by a salesman, to the more expensive diesel, when they really need a petrol.
Hope somebody might find some food for thought?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.