Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land Rover are doing the first tests of driverless cars on public roads today :roll: I hope it's better than the vw tiggy electronics :?: :?:

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,582 Posts
I understand Land Rover are pretty much well down the reliability list. Maybe before testing driverless cars they ought to get their ordinary cars working better first. ;)
I certainly won't be trusting ANY driverless cars for the forseeable future ;)

Steve

·
Registered
90 Posts
i can't wait, I'd love it + much safer eventually,

no more people driving 40mph past schools with kids running about and at commute time through 30s but going way faster and risking lives, much quieter for people that live near roads and motorways, fewer people with road rage, no tailgating, less congestion, no ripple effect on motorway causing jams for no reason, commutes might be quicker, imagine if there was a busy crossroads where cars would all drive across from all sides at the same time squeezing between each other in perfect harmony! well that's my thoughts :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snailofsatan said:

no more people driving 40mph past schools with kids running about and at commute time through 30s but going way faster and risking lives, much quieter for people that live near roads and motorways, fewer people with road rage, no tailgating, less congestion, no ripple effect on motorway causing jams for no reason, commutes might be quicker, imagine if there was a busy crossroads where cars would all drive across from all sides at the same time squeezing between each other in perfect harmony! well that's my thoughts :D
Agree was behind a several cars in a 50 and the front car was doing 20 mph, 4 mile on got to a 30 zone and he dropped to 10mph and it's always when you can't overtake

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,582 Posts
Miket said:
Agree was behind a several cars in a 50 and the front car was doing 20 mph, 4 mile on got to a 30 zone and he dropped to 10mph and it's always when you can't overtake
I agree this can be extremely frustrating, but is it really going to change with the introduction of driverless cars, where they will still be sharing the roads with these so called ' Sunday Drivers' :?:

Steve

·
Registered
238 Posts
snailofsatan said:

I'll be dead before that time....

The tech we have now is essentially rubbish, anyone relying on lane assist or front assist is pushing their luck...never mind autonomous cars!

Meanwhile, a mobile phone signal, and perhaps a mains gas supply at my home would be nice :lol:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes lol, bit of a utopian idea I fear, I'd like to think it could be as good as above but how likely?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Just introduce out of date/bug ridden software, poor maintenance, and manufacturing cost cutting and the results will inevitably not be good....

·
Registered
342 Posts
On the bright side. No more car insurance. If anything goes wrong the manufacturers are too blame.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wolfsburger said:
snailofsatan said:

I'll be dead before that time....

The tech we have now is essentially rubbish, anyone relying on lane assist or front assist is pushing their luck...never mind autonomous cars!

Meanwhile, a mobile phone signal, and perhaps a mains gas supply at my home would be nice :lol:
You must live in the same lane as me no gas no Mobile phone water goes off very often and electric is not much better
And on that France has said that by 2040 no fossil fuel cars will be aloud in Paris :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
The most efficient way to have driverless cars on a main road would be to hook them together, front and back. Once you have many of them hooked together, you soon realise that only the front one needs an engine.

In order for the cars to not veer off the road - have the wheels locate themselves into grooves.

Or maybe rails...

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,582 Posts
Pottsy said:
The most efficient way to have driverless cars on a main road would be to hook them together, front and back. Once you have many of them hooked together, you soon realise that only the front one needs an engine.

In order for the cars to not veer off the road - have the wheels locate themselves into grooves.

Or maybe rails...
:lol: :lol: :lol: I wonder if they've ever thought of that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts