Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I am almost a complete newbie with regard to driving an automatic - only ever borrowed step dads car for an hour (Jag XF) and test drove the automatic Tiguan for 15 minutes (loved it) so whilst this may be a stupid question, I'm still going to ask it.

If I was to use the "paddle" to change gears or if the wife or I accidentally click the paddles at some point and it changes gear...does it put the car into a "manual" mode for a length of time / until I click a switch or do something, or does it still remain in automatic mode changing gears still for me.

Thanks in advance and yes - it shows how thick I am ordering a car I wont even know how to drive (as I'm hoping it will drive itself LOL).

:D :D

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
Hi Bhuna, if you are using the paddles, and wish to go back to auto, you hold back the right hand paddle for around a second and it will revert back.
However if the gearbox senses that you've not used the paddles for a while it will go back to auto by itself.

Steve

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Bhuna,

Further to Essjay comment there is a safety system in place that if you used the paddles and then failed to change gear the car will automatically change the gear to prevent over revving of the engine. I have not used the paddles that much only a couple of time in sport mode on the autobahn to stretch the engines performance, so they are a nice to have but not something I would miss if they were not there.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must admit I am not aiming to use them - but the reason for asking was mainly that as they are there, my concern was (with so many other switches and buttons here and there) I accidentally use it / wife accidentally uses it as we are used to using radio controls that are in same position as right paddle would be so I can see this happening until we get used to car.

Also worried re activating it on the gear stick as well (ok worried the wife will LOL - as she actually went to change gear at one point on the test drive).

Thank you both for your comments though - puts my mind at rest a bit.

·
Registered
953 Posts
DeT said:
Hi Bhuna,

Further to Essjay comment there is a safety system in place that if you used the paddles and then failed to change gear the car will automatically change the gear to prevent over revving of the engine. I have not used the paddles that much only a couple of time in sport mode on the autobahn to stretch the engines performance, so they are a nice to have but not something I would miss if they were not there.
I find the paddles very hard to use, my tiggy tdi is so quiet inside you can't seem to get change point and you end up reving the engine to silly rpm's, but useful to short shift the auto box

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bhuna said:
I must admit I am not aiming to use them - but the reason for asking was mainly that as they are there, my concern was (with so many other switches and buttons here and there) I accidentally use it / wife accidentally uses it as we are used to using radio controls that are in same position as right paddle would be so I can see this happening until we get used to car.

Also worried re activating it on the gear stick as well (ok worried the wife will LOL - as she actually went to change gear at one point on the test drive).

Thank you both for your comments though - puts my mind at rest a bit.
Seems you have a low opinion of your wife's abilities, hope she doesn't read this forum for your sake :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't dare even suggest such a thing :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
953 Posts
hantshog said:
I think you can also pull the gear stick towards you once and that takes it back into auto.
You can move the gear knob to the left and it puts it in manual and also use the gear knob by pushing it forward or pulling it to change up and down, they say you use this when your cornering and the paddles are not by your fingers?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ACS said:
Seems you have a low opinion of your wife's abilities, hope she doesn't read this forum for your sake :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL - it was quite funny when she grabbed the gear stick and tried moving it to change gear going along the dual carriageway and we did all laugh about it afterwards - she had never ever driven an automatic until the test drive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Since we are talking about the DSG and paddles, does anyone know if the manual change triggers some kind of rev matching mechanism?

My idea for the paddle use is usually on curvy roads if i want to engine break and add stability by downshifting.

Another use is when intending to overtake. The later case I will probably not use that much as during the time I tested the car the DSG worked fine, and hammering the button at the end of the accelerator gave a quick and appropriate down shift.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bhuna said:
ACS said:

LOL - it was quite funny when she grabbed the gear stick and tried moving it to change gear going along the dual carriageway and we did all laugh about it afterwards - she had never ever driven an automatic until the test drive.
You just wait till you get used to the auto and then get back into a manual, I nearly run the house over and I'm always forgetting the clutch

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL - I know - I can see that happening when I go to use the wifes car or with her switching between the two (note I did say myself too in that). Hers is a manual - little Renault Clio 51 plate 1.2 petrol - I can see that I will crunch those gears a lot if I were to drive it - luckily I rarely do though.

Anything though will be better than my falling apart Vectra (no windscreen washer jets, clutch going, service needed, brake light bulb keeps going/dodgy connection, and other things - yours for £750 if you want it LOL).

·
Registered
610 Posts
Bhuna, what I tend to do is leave the box in eco mode then when I need a bit of power I tap the the stick down, box then goes into Sport mode for the overtake or finding that gap at a busy roundabout, tap it again and it goes back into eco mode. :lol: :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
My wife and I had the same issue (accidentally hitting the paddle) when we first got it. I find the easiest thing is to just pull down on the gear lever to switch it back to auto mode.

I also dont find the paddles easy to use. maybe because I have had autos for so long, or because having 7 gears so tight together (there is alot of overlap at normal driving speed ) it just doesnt feel natural yet

While talking about the gearbox, it took us a while to get used to it start/stopping at junctions, and pulling away smoothly after the engine restarted ( I knock it into sport if it will be a tight gap)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I look forward to "knocking" it into sport and pulling away quickly.

Don't take this the wrong way NoHope - but I'm glad someone else has/had the problem I was worried about, it doesn't make my question sound so stupid now.

Thanks all again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I find the paddles easy to use. Straight from Playstation to real life! :) They are great when you want a play on some nice roads.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like the paddles too. Defo easiest just to hold the up paddle for a couple of seconds to have it revert back to auto mode

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Haven't yet tried the paddles...I will give it a go sometime over the weekend, with the way you do it steve_t

1 - 20 of 21 Posts