Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you turn the stop/start off in a DSG do you get creep as in being able to creep forward in traffic or if you need to go just that extra foot forward or reverse?

·
Registered
3,536 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Essjay said:
Negativepitch said:
If you turn the stop/start off in a DSG do you get creep as in being able to creep forward in traffic or if you need to go just that extra foot forward or reverse?
Have a look at my post on the page here (7th post down)
http://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=593&start=70

Steve
Sorry Steve.
The post above yours was mine asking the same question in which you replied to it...sorry having a grey moment :oops:
Ive got so much popping around my head at the moment including going for a Polo instead :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
No probs NP, I'm finding that there's so much to learn, that it's easy to overlook something already mentioned :lol:

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Negativepitch said:
Essjay said:
Negativepitch said:
Have a look at my post on the page here (7th post down)
http://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=593&start=70

Steve
Sorry Steve.
The post above yours was mine asking the same question in which you replied to it...sorry having a grey moment :oops:
Ive got so much popping around my head at the moment including going for a Polo instead :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blimey...that's a downsize from the Tig mate...... having said that, my youngest lad loves his Polo GTi ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Essjay said:
Blimey...that's a downsize from the Tig mate...... having said that, my youngest lad loves his Polo GTi ;)
Was just looking out of interest, we are paying cash and just seeing what I could get for the money with a large chunk left over thats all :D

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Negativepitch said:
Essjay said:
Was just looking out of interest, we are paying cash and just seeing what I could get for the money with a large chunk left over thats all :D
Well I must admit to being a 'Large Chunk", and I'd never fit in a Polo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Essjay said:
Negativepitch said:
Essjay said:
Well I must admit to being a 'Large Chunk", and I'd never fit in a Polo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve
:lol:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Out of interest, I've got a Tig (mk1) match, er indoors has a polo 1.2 'tsi match. I enjoy driving the polo *almost* more than the tig. Its got a good driving position, very relaxing to flow along, you don't need to stir it to really move. Got lots of gadgets e.g cruise, parking seniors, bt phone etc.

Only downside is smaller, so not as much luggage space. Major reason for the tig is pulling the caravan. Oh, and I can easily get good mpg in the polo, e.g quick trip to Wales (300+ round trip) high 80's most of the way, 48 mpg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For others searching on this, I'll add my thoughts on DSG creep.

On the flat it will creep, although I find it creeps just a little too slow for stop start traffic. I find myself having to give it just a bit of throttle to move it along. It's a bit of an art giving just enough to not have to get back on the brakes. It will creep in reverse too - in this scenario the slow speed is more suitable, perfect to maneuvering around cramping car parks using just the brake to control it.

When using creep to maneuver its best to turn off auto-hold and start/stop. Otherwise every time you come to a stop to check your position either you have to give it a whack of throttle to wake it up and you'll end up jerking away in a rather uncontrolled manner - this becomes quite pronounced of you are maneuvering on an incline, but disabling these systems makes it perfectly easy. Not such an issue in stop/start traffic. If start/stop system becomes tiresome you just need to master how much pressure the brake needs to apply auto hold without stopping the engine. It needs quite firm pressure to trigger start/stop - if you get it just right it will stop and apply auto hold without stopping the engine.

I find it won't creep on any kind of ascending incline, so you need to be on the throttle a small amount. Creeping down a descending incline over any distance will require you to switch off auto-hold if you just want to control it with the brake.

If I were to compare DSG to a torque converter in respect to these characteristics, you can achieve the same behaviour you're probably used to. Issues seem to arise in the integration with DSG with other systems (auto-hold/start-stop). Managing these systems is the key.

Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
463 Posts
With a torque converter at engine idle in D the oil flows from the pump side through the stator to the impellor at a speed that still produces a torsional force due to oil viscosity and hence vehicle creep and slips when the brakes are applied to counteract this motion but no physical wear is involved. In a DSG the clutches in oil must generate drag when in D and the question is does this mean the clutches are subject to wear in this phase.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The question also is, is this creep always there, or does the car logic detect the brakes released and apply an amount of creep assuming if your not braking you want it to move slightly? Conversely, when the parking or autohold brakes are applied, does the car fully disengage the clutches so as not to wear the clutch?.

My inclination would be to say creep is NOT inherent, as its also undesirable for the stop start function. It would create drag every time the engine restarted.

Unfortunately, because the car is constantly monitoring what you do, saying if I disable this, and do that it happens, is not evidence that it's there if you don't take those actions.

·
Registered
463 Posts
..... Or is it why they invented autohold to counteract creep. Was there creep inherent in DSG's with dry clutches?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sledgehammer to crack a nut methinks :) Quicker to re-engineer clutch.

No, autohold is for all those who hold their cars on slopes using the footbrake, then stop pressing so hard and inadvertently roll back. (or can't do hill starts without rolling back) it is after all also in manual cars...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I leave auto-hold turned off completely - I got used to the start-stop on my previous A4 (no auto-hold) and liked being able to start the engine by just releasing the brakes a little, but with auto-hold on it seems you have to actually press the accelerator to start the engine, but with it turned off I can control the engine off/on while still on the brake.

With the DSG creep, in effect there is rarely a need for auto-hold except on steep slopes and I just use the normal handbrake in those circumstances.

I do like that when the engine stops, if I put the handbrake on and come off the foot brake the engine stays stopped until I press the accelerator - makes stopping at lights that take ages to change that bit quieter :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anybody noticed that when auto hold is engaged, the brake lights stay on.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Anyone confirm creep with previous DSG with dry clutches?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Dave9_3 said:
Anybody noticed that when auto hold is engaged, the brake lights stay on.
Yes.....I have

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.