Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and have just had my Tiguan SEL 150 TDI DSG for 4 days, I have had auto's in the past but these were with torque converters and not the same as a DSG gearbox.
My question is what do I do when stopping at traffic lights etc, I have been stopping with hill hold on and stop/start off(don't like it) still in drive and then drive away again.
Does this damage the gearbox clutches? as a torque converter would just stall and shear the oil no damage apart from increase in oil temp.
I have also tried with hill hold and stop/start on in drive and either pushing the brake pedal or throttle pedal to start and release hill hold, second one is a bit dodgy with traffic in front.
Or do I take it out of drive into neutral with hill hold then foot on brake back into drive.

Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Beagler - that's a good thread answering the question about damaging the clutch quite well, but out of interest, as there was varying opinions in there on how to drive a DSG - what "style" of driving have you settled into using with your car now that you have had it a while?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Bhuna said:
Beagler - that's a good thread answering the question about damaging the clutch quite well, but out of interest, as there was varying opinions in there on how to drive a DSG - what "style" of driving have you settled into using with your car now that you have had it a while?
As an ex mechanic in the '60's its hard not to conjure up pictures of a slippng clutch when stationary and your mind runnng wild with thoughts of overheating and added wear. I suppose you have to take it on trust that VW have got it sorted. I still though occasionally slip it into neutral when stood for a while. There are no reports of excessive clutch wear or common incidences of clutch replacement that I am aware of. So its a personal choice I guess.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have had 3 DSG VW'S my current Passat Estate company car has 60K + and I have from the start used the auto hold and the car is still as smooth as new and never fails. When you consider the amount of time I seem to spend in motorway traffic jams these days if there was an issue with DSG I would have noticed.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Timbo said:
I have had 3 DSG VW'S my current Passat Estate company car has 60K + and I have from the start used the auto hold and the car is still as smooth as new and never fails. When you consider the amount of time I seem to spend in motorway traffic jams these days if there was an issue with DSG I would have noticed.
Thats what we like to hear. :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
I find on the 7sp DSG in the AUDI A6 (same gearbox I would assume), after a certain period of being stationary in drive on the brakes, the gearbox seems to "relax" and the drive when you lift the brake pedal is less pronounced. It's more obvious when you are holding it on the brakes on a hill and start to lift the brakes; the car starts rolling back. Not sure if the Tiguan does this though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've a passat dsg for 3 years now and never had any issues, once I get in the car and put my gear into drive and that's it. They only time I touch it again is when reversing or if I want an extra speed I put it into gear S and of course when I reached my destination which gear into P 🤣🤣🤣.

Auto hold /Hill hold works perfectly smooth and never had any issues as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the non mechanical, like me the service team at my dealer confirmed it can be driven like a standard auto.

Put it in Drive and go and Park at the end of your journey. Only gear change needed is Reverse if necessary.

So glad I don't need to change my driving technique of 20 years.

I use both stop/start and auto hold. Still find I'm catching up with the car in front when moving away even with stop/start and staying further back than I would have in our previous car. Occasionally turn off auto hold for parking and tight manoeuvre to get the "creep" of an auto.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Tiguan is my first auto and DSG although i have had many VW / AUDI cars i find it totally easy to drive and operate and so relaxing i doubt i would ever go back to a manual car ., unless of course it was a serious sports car which merited a manual box

·
Registered
220 Posts
tonymar said:
The Tiguan is my first auto and DSG although i have had many VW / AUDI cars i find it totally easy to drive and operate and so relaxing i doubt i would ever go back to a manual car ., unless of course it was a serious sports car which merited a manual box
Your words are reassuring to me that I will be pleased with a DSG. Big change for me - first auto; first diesel; first 4x4.

·
Registered
433 Posts
JJ1 you are in for a great treat, DSG is so smooth you hardly notice it has changed. And really good from a standing start, just stamp on the excelerator and go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
JJ1 Sure you'll be happy you made the right choice. I've been driving automatics for 20 years now and the Tiguan is the best I've driven. Smooth and no issues starting off. Enjoy and persevere with any technology on the car that's new to you - I was never going to use the Adaptive Cruise Control after my first go but after a few more goes it is a welcome feature for variable speed limits and through roadworks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts