Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the operation of the DSG can be easily modified on the 150 diesel? (this doesn't have the mode selector switch to change between sport, eco, etc).

I find the box generally works well but if I put my foot down to accelerate hard it drops to the lowest gear and in high revs as you'd probably expect. The only problem is the 150 doesn't seem to have a great deal of torque beyond 4.5 thousand revs at it seems to pull away much quicker if I manually change before this but ideally I'd like to leave it in auto and have the box alway change up before the torque drops off

I've found similar operation if the gear box is in sport with respect to this but again only a problem if i put my foot down.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's something I've noticed too, there are some flaws in the gearbox tuning and ratios IMO.

I think you can get the DSG altered, but it will probably be through a remap and won't be cheap. Ratios would stay the same though (I find first 3 gears are too widely spaced) and find it holds low gears too long; I've also found that trying to manually change up early doesn't work, it just ignores your commands on the paddle (I'm talking about sub 2000rpm shifts in 1st-3rd).

To me D mode drives like Sport mode in AUDIs, and Sport mode in the Tiguan just doesn't suit the [diesel] engine at all.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Chris 320, from my experience, diesels aren't designed to be driven above 4,500 rpm. Maximum torque is in the range 1800 - 3,500 after which it decreases.You don't say which model you have, but perhaps you should have bought petrol rather than diesel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lagerorwine said:
Chris 320, from my experience, diesels aren't designed to be driven above 4,500 rpm. Maximum torque is in the range 1800 - 3,500 after which it decreases.You don't say which model you have, but perhaps you should have bought petrol rather than diesel.
Hi lagerorwine

I think you've miss-understood. I want the car to keep the revs down where the torque is available but the gear box down shifts , seemingly unnecessarily when accelerating and other times seems to hold onto lower gears to 5.5 thousand revs.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Apologies Chris, I did mis-understand.

Does it do this all the time or occasionally? Reason I ask, could it perhaps be doing a DPF regen when its keeping the revs high?

I've only had my car a few days, and hardly been anywhere for various reasons, but when I have driven it, it changes up quickly and spends most time below 2,000 rpm, but I haven't been accelerating hard until its run in.

I caught the paddle once by accident, and it revved, but the DSG corrected my error quickly

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nothing like the dsg in my car. Mine is the opposite. D changes in low revs and stays around peak torque and sport doesn't rev anywhere near the red line. In fact I've started to use sport mode most of the time recently as it makes useful progress without revving the nuts off it like sport mode does in the wife's s tronic tt which sits in 4th gear at 80mph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts