Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've had an automatic car, and this is the first DSG gearbox I've owned, so I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour, but if feels "wrong"

The other day I was driving home in some stop/start traffic down a fairly steep descent. From a stopped position (Autohold turned off), when the car in front would move off and I'd release my foot from the break the car would only inch forward really, really slowly. To get any sort of momentum, I'd have to accelerate on the down slope, only to have to break 10 feet down the road because the car in front was stopped.

Similarly, I was coming out of a multi-story parking lot and had to "accelerate" down the ramp. I don't mean just a once off touch the accelerator, I mean if I stopped pressing the pedal the car would slow to really, really slow inching pace.

My expectation in both these situations is that gravity should accelerate the car and you just need to feather the foot break to control speed. Not have to accelerate and break down a hill.

The car is 1 month old, and I've been in multi-story car parks before, but don't remember needing to accelerate down before

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Tigp,

I have never experienced what you have explained but I wonder if one of the safety features was causing what you explained. On the motorway I've noticed two white cars come up when I've got too close to the car in front. It's possible you were too close to the cars in front both times you were in traffic and the sensor in your car was picking up on that. Try leaving more of a gap in traffic and allow the car in front to move further away before setting off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ed1 said:
Hi Tigp,

I have never experienced what you have explained but I wonder if one of the safety features was causing what you explained. On the motorway I've noticed two white cars come up when I've got too close to the car in front. It's possible you were too close to the cars in front both times you were in traffic and the sensor in your car was picking up on that. Try leaving more of a gap in traffic and allow the car in front to move further away before setting off.
Hi Ed, I don't think it's to do with being too close, I was a good 2 or 3 car lengths behind the car in front of me. Also, no images or graphics or warning in the dash.

ma9mwah said:
Could it be the hill descent control being a bit too aggressive?
It does feel like some sort of "hill descent" restricting the car from rolling forward, but I only have a 2wd version and am fairly certain it does not have hill decent.

It almost felt like the car would not change gear up and was therefore being held back by engine breaking ?

I've tried going down that hill again, but there has not been enough traffic to stop and roll forward - go figure - I'm looking for traffic now :lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
It might be worth going to a steep hill with no traffic and stop and roll forward to determine if it's traffic related or it does it every time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts