Votes: 49 66.2%
  • <t>Manual in a higher bhp if VW had offered it</t>

Votes: 4 5.4%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who went for DSG & who went for the 6 speed manual.

Personally I'd prefer the 240 in manual :roll:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I went DSG in the end after originally ordering a Manual.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As above DSG and would never go back to manual

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im loving the response of the DSG no manuals again for me

·
Registered
12 Posts
DSG a must as far as I'm concerned great box, have had a number over the years including Golf R before the Tiguan.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Manual gearboxes and high powered diesels don't make sense to me. DSG is well suited to a diesel engine, especially the more powerful engines.

Besides, I think there is probably a technical reason why the 240 won't be available in manual form due to a lack of sufficient clutch/flywheel and gearbox to cope with and have long term reliability with high torque. The regular 4cy TDIs are already bad enough/on the edge with clutches/flywheels.

On a sports car or high revving petrol engine a manual gearbox can be nice (but so can todays dual clutch gearboxes), but on a TDI auto is better and sensible option IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I test drove an S3 3 years ago & wasn't too impressed, ended up getting a Golf R manual but fear I may need to go DSG for my next car as manuals seem to be a thing of the past.

Driving automatic 7.5T Merc lorries & American hire cars has put me off auto's :roll:

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
DSG for me through choice. Had the DSG 7 speed in my Golf GT as well. In fact my last 6 cars have all been automatic. Would never go back to a manual now.

Steve

·
Registered
485 Posts
DSG for me. I had a Smart and kinda liked using it in semi-auto mode.

·
Registered
57 Posts
DSG. My old cars are manual and that's part of the reason for having them but the Tig is the car to get around in comfortably and easily, as well as Mrs J having back issues, so no brainer for us.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Had manual first time around have gone for DSG this time around (if I ever get it)
Having always driven a manual and had a loan car a nissan joke I enjoyed it, having a loan car this time around I would not go back to a manual.

·
Registered
103 Posts
DSG!

Had a run of conventional auto BMW saloons, loved them! Especially driving in heavy traffic in the SE UK.

Changed jobs, now mostly very long motorway runs N - S UK. Thought I wouldn't need an auto, and would enjoy a performance manual for a change, good old days (TR 6) etc....
Then i got stuck in traffic M5 - M6, every trip, at Birmingham....
Then had a leg injury...
Now also had a back injury....

Changed to auto Tig! Delighted!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yep another one for DSG......last 4 cars have been auto, wouldn't go back to manual......and at the end of the day, if you wanna play you can use the paddles or stick ;) :lol:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have had 4 dsg Tiguans would not get a manual anymore.

·
Registered
220 Posts
After significant research I have opted for DSG. However, I still have concerns which I'm hoping others on here can allay.

Are DSGs okay for precision control when manoeuvring as with a clutch when parking?

Do people forget how to drive a manual? (Feel a bit stupid asking this one).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Ok, answer from a mk1 tig owner:

Precision control, absolutely. Brakes released you get the same sort of creep you get from a torque converter automatic. With no acceleration you have inch perfect manoeuvring.

Forget how to drive a manual, yer avin a larf.... Like the fabled riding a bike, you never forget (though you occasionally forget to dip the clutch as you come to a stop.) Though it does help to have a foot on each camp as it were. I've driven autos for nearly 15 years, but always had a manual to fall back on as t'other half motor.

Never regretted going for the DSG, and t'other half used mine the other day while hers was in for a service, and her comment was how little there was to do whilst driving it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I test drove a Renault Kadjar before I ordered the Tiguan. It just happened to be an automatic and I thought it was great. Then seen the Tiguan and test drove the manual as no dealers had any DSGs for test. I reckoned if Renault can manage a good automatic surely Volkswagens must be good too. 😂

1 - 20 of 32 Posts