Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park my DSG Tiguan on a drive with a slight incline. I follow the exact order specified in the user manual for parking…

• In vehicles with a DSG® dual clutch gearbox, apply the brake and bring the vehicle to a stop.
• Press and hold the brake pedal.
• With a DSG® dual clutch gearbox, move the selector lever to position P.
• Switch on the electronic parking brake ⇒ Electronic parking brake . Make sure that the indicator lamp in the button ⇒ Operating the electronic parking brake  lights up yellow.
• Stop the engine and, if required, remove the vehicle key from the ignition lock.
• Make sure that the indicator lamp in the instrument cluster display lights up red after switching off the ignition.

Every now and again the car does that little roll back and rocking forward motion that you often see when people don't bother putting the handbrake on.

Then, on returning to the car, it feels harder to pull the gear stick out of P position. So I'm guessing the parking pawl is holding the cars weight etc.

Obviously I'm concerned this is going to stress some components over time.

I've read people suggest go to neutral, apply electronic parking brake, then to park… but that's not what the manual says…

Anyone else experience this? Is it no big deal?

·
Registered
953 Posts
My drive slopes towards the house, all I do it put my foot on the brake, light goes yellow, press the engine start button to stop engine put lever in park, light goes red and that's it, but I will say when I reverse off the drive it does feel as if the brakes are dragging a small amount?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Try this:

Stop with foot brake, apply parking brake, select neutral, foot off footbrake. Car still holding? It's possible when you release the footbrake the weight moves from the disk brakes and shifts slightly applying torque to the transmission.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tricky said:
Try this:

Stop with foot brake, apply parking brake, select neutral, foot off footbrake. Car still holding? It's possible when you release the footbrake the weight moves from the disk brakes and shifts slightly applying torque to the transmission.
Hi,

I don't touch my electronic parking when moving off or when after parking, it will automatically enable after you turn off the engine or when the engine is running if you take off your seat belt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tricky said:
Try this:

Hi Tricky,

I think you are right, it's just the weight shifting.... there was one occasion when the wife was driving and it moved a lot, but the jury is still out on whether the parking brake was on :?

The funny thing is that I downloaded a Tiguan user manual a couple of months before the car arrived and in that version VW specify putting the handbrake on first before selecting Park, but in my UK edition 11.2016, that came with the car they definitely specify selecting Park first. Seems like they have no idea either.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Actually I'm like nimrence, never touch the handle always let it engage/disengage automatically. But then I'm not normally on a slope, thinking about when I have been I probably do put the parking on manually.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tricky said:
Actually I'm like nimrence, never touch the handle always let it engage/disengage automatically. But then I'm not normally on a slope, thinking about when I have been I probably do put the parking on manually.
The auto hold will do the work even if you are on a slope or on a hill, I have been in any situation and went well always.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts