Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When stood still and in drive does the car pull forward without any pressure on the gas. If so Is it recommeded to knock it into Neutral when at traffic lights ect? Never owned a automatic before.....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
As soon as press the brake pedal to stop it automatically puts on the hill hold stop Viper88 until you press the accelerator pedal and it will disengage the hill hold and move forward

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stumpy said:
As soon as press the brake pedal to stop it automatically puts on the hill hold stop Viper88 until you press the accelerator pedal and it will disengage the hill hold and move forward
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think over time, with the gearbox trying to move the car forward it will shorten the life span of the gear box?

·
Registered
134 Posts
No, when braked the gearbox is disengaged by the clutch so no different from a manual in that sense.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
For the car to creep there must be drag from the odd ratio wet clutch. The above cofirms it "mimics a torque converter" allowing creep. I tend to knock it in neutral.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hello my 7 speed DSG on my Turan SE Famliy2016 will hold as yours . BUT when I park at my partners she has her own bay to park in
a little tight so when reversing I press auto hold to off, to let my car creep , this allows me to park within 1"" of her fence, far better to creep in while controlling speed with brake , I hope this is helfull :roll:
Build week 18 :) :) :) :) :)
Tiguan SWB SE Nav 2.0 TDI 2WD 150PS 7-Speed
Dark Moss Green Metallic
Winter Pack Front Heated Seats
Adaptive Cruise
Door Sill Trim Black & Silver
Park Assite with Rear view Camara.
Service Plan
5 Year extended Warranty

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The article actually states "This isn't the case in a DSG because the onboard computer has to realise you've stepped off the brake before it progressively engages a clutch to mimic the 'creep' function. " There's no reason for inherent creep in a clutch system, even if there are two of them. Whilst you DO get creep when you release the brakes, as stated above this is the electronics noting the situation and providing an amount of clutch engagement.

I never bother to switch into neutral, just takes longer to get going....

·
Registered
463 Posts
Tricky said:
The article actually states "This isn't the case in a DSG because the onboard computer has to realise you've stepped off the brake before it progressively engages a clutch to mimic the 'creep' function. " There's no reason for inherent creep in a clutch system, even if there are two of them. Whilst you DO get creep when you release the brakes, as stated above this is the electronics noting the situation and providing an amount of clutch engagement.

I never bother to switch into neutral, just takes longer to get going....
That amount of clutch engagement must induce wear however slight. Its lke a wet plate motorcycle clutch thats badly adjusted. The drag is there all the time the outohold is on and the car doesnt move.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Sorry beagler, I must disagree with you. Ok, I know I've got a mk1 and this is abut mk2, but DSG is the same, as it also was on my previous Passat. Just because there's a portion of drag once the brakes are released, it does not follow that it is there all the time. It makes absolutely no sense for the system to have been designed to have one of the clutches that never fully disengages, and hence has inherent wear and a hit to the economy of the engine (clutch permanently engaged = increased engine power to prevent stalling). It however makes perfect sense that the electronics that detects brake engaged, autohold on, accelerator touched, also controls clutch engaging a few percent to provide drag.

Also, if the clutch were always slightly engaged it would increase the resistance to starting the car in the stop\start cycles. Again not desirable.

No, my OPINION given all this is that when you apply the brakes, and or autohold or EPB is engaged, the clutches are fully disengaged, and only engage when its required to move the car.

It would be good if we could get a definitive statement on ThIs from VW.

·
Registered
463 Posts
What convinces me is if you brake very very gently on the level autohold doesnt come in and the car creeps so there is drive to the wheels. We'll agree to differ :)

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts
Totally agree with you there Beagler. That's one of the things I like about my DSG. Knowing I can creep with gentle pressure on the pedal without auto-hold coming in is great at traffic lights or jams. This is only on the flat though. 👍

Maybe it's just different on the mk1 Tricky?

Steve

·
Registered
463 Posts
Essjay said:
Totally agree with you there Beagler. That's one of the things I like about my DSG. Knowing I can creep with gentle pressure on the pedal without auto-hold coming in is great at traffic lights or jams. This is only on the flat though. 👍

Maybe it's just different on the mk1 Tricky?

Steve
There doesnt seem to be a profusion of clutch pack failures so it may not be too detrimental. Most problems I believe are with the mechatronic unit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have never had an automatic / DSG before. Having read all these posts I am now thinking that perhaps I should have ordered a manual gearbox (or am I worrying about nothing, and will enjoy the DSG).

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts
JJ1 said:
I have never had an automatic / DSG before. Having read all these posts I am now thinking that perhaps I should have ordered a manual gearbox (or am I worrying about nothing, and will enjoy the DSG).
JJ1, I would just enjoy your DSG box. There's nothing to worry about. Once you've driven one you'll never go back to a manual, well I certainy won't ;)

Steve

·
Registered
220 Posts
Essjay said:
JJ1 said:
JJ1, I would just enjoy your DSG box. There's nothing to worry about. Once you've driven one you'll never go back to a manual, well I certainy won't ;)

Steve
Thanks Steve. I hope you are right. My plan is that my changing to a DSG it will be in preparation for an electric car in the future.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I used to repair the old Borg Warner 35 and later C4 Ford autos in the early 70's. I never owned or fancied an auto and ordered this tig in manual but it was unavailable at the time. Now I am impressed with this DSG though I took out the xtra 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Beagler said:
What convinces me is if you brake very very gently on the level autohold doesnt come in and the car creeps so there is drive to the wheels. We'll agree to differ :)
Fair enough, but this is just as likely to do with the electronics as it is a permanently engaged clutch. However for all the reasons I described, can you see why they would design in a permanently dragging clutch? And what about changing gear if one clutch is dragging? Finally, If I'm sitting in neutral, foot on the brakes, and engage drive, revs don't change.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts