Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK still not managing to quite get to know this Tiguan of mine. Have been driving in Eco and have decided I don't like it for the non engine braking of car speed. So now in normal mode and prefer that way of driving. Now noticing at night the dynamic lights are doing what they are meant to do. Dancing around optimising the dark spots all around the areas in front. Quite mesmerising, even following around the bends. Now I'm sure that didn't happen when in Eco.

It appears to me that the Tiguan does subtle changes in the different driving modes that I wouldn't have thought it should. Or is it, as I am now slightly suspicious, the 'computer' needs to be rebooted to put things right. My example being that when you fiddle with all the different buttons etc. and change things. it gets confused and things don't work. The phone is an example logging on to Bluetooth, a bit hit and miss. However when you switch off and take the keys out and restart, things seem to fix themselves.

Is it just my imagination or has anyone else noticed this need to 'reboot'.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not sure about the lights but bluetooth is in general a bit hit and miss, like the handshake needed to connect is easily missed by other devices. Many times I've faffed trying to get a phone to connect to cars in general.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When selecting ECO mode the on board computer deactivates certain power consuming items eg the dynamic lights and Adaptive Cruise Control.
I believe I read somewhere in the manual what works and does not work when setting ECO, Normal, Sport etc are selected. I personally leave it normal mode and occasional sport mode when the roads are clear or on the autobahn.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I have a DSG 4WD 4Motion enabled Tig, and I have the dial below the gear selector for Driving Mode\Profile. The manual states that in non-4Motion models where equipment provides, there will be a MODE button likely below the media screen and above the air controls. Either way it does state that in ECO mode, the Dynamic Light Assist provides a more balanced and hence less energy rich experience. In Normal or higher modes the system is more Dynamic and would be more noticeable.

My first drive is DLA on was quite a light show! Very happy with how that works, although not so happy I have to push the light stick each time I start the car to turn it on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi dmcross. Yes spot on, I was not impressed with the Dynamic light show when driving in ECO. I had just been watching some other car advert on the TV, I think Vauxhal, and the lights were as you say, quite a show. Jumping into mine and was disappointed. However now sorted and driving in normal/sport etc fully working and fascinating to drive with :)

I'm not really a technophobe, but am finding the Tiguan a little more challenging than the previous A4 Avant.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi steve_t Have just done more night driving and have finally worked it out. Yes the Dynamic works in ECO, but it does not bend the lights round the bends as you approach. It also doesn't dance about shading the car in front or the oncoming cars. Once you see what it does in normal mode it's quite amazing. The focus ahead is so much better and the sides of the road are totally lit up. Coming up behind the car in front, the full beam just puts a patch of shade over the rear window, everything else is haloed in light. I keep thinking I must be blinding them, but not getting any adverse reaction, so guess not.

As you can gather I've not done many miles yet :)
Still figuring the car out..........just hope I don't slam into the back of someone fiddling with the bloody controls. As I'm so anti mobile phones while driving, I'm feeling very hypocritical.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So set up everything in ECO setting in the Individual Driving mode and leave the Dynamic Light in normal. This way your Individual Mode becomes a Individual ECO Night driving mode :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had my car now for 6 months and tonight was the first time my lights automatically went onto high beam on a dark stretch of road. As soon as I entered a lit up area they refused to dipped. Wow!! Really impressed with that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
hantshog said:
........just hope I don't slam into the back of someone fiddling with the bloody controls. As I'm so anti mobile phones while driving, I'm feeling very hypocritical.
Thankfully the radar makes it impossible for that to happen😜

·
Registered
328 Posts
This all sounds great, can't wait for my SEL to arrive. Build week starts next Monday :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
bigrids said:
I've had my car now for 6 months and tonight was the first time my lights automatically went onto high beam on a dark stretch of road. As soon as I entered a lit up area they refused to dipped. Wow!! Really impressed with that.
But this is not the Dynamic Headlight function. This one is not available on SE Nav trims as we have H7 headlight. What you are talking about here is High beam assist.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Put my lghts on main beam on a country road last night and as flashed by an oncoming land rover. Thought it blanked out oncoming traffic. What am I doing wrong. First real night drive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With out me reading the overly long winded hand book, I think you have the lights on auto and push the stalk forwards and then back. The light in the dash will light up showing it's now in Dynamic.

I guess you just pushed the stalk forward and left it there, which is setting the main beam manually. When this is in place a main beam warning light is on the dash as well, but not in Dynamic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pages 123 and 129 of the manual. Yes selector must be in Auto and push the turn signal\light stick forward slightly and release. Don't push it so far that it stays in high beam. Light symbol on dash with A inside it.

It doesnt work in Eco either.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks guys will try that. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Have done a few night drives now and am loving the Dynamic lights on my SEL, great bit of tech.

I do seem to have a slight vertical shade area at dead ahead, not dark as such, just not quite as well illuminated as everywhere else. It looks like an area between the two very defined light patterns from both sides and very thin. As the lights follow the steering and turn into a corner it's this faint line that's really noticeable moving relative to the axis of the car. This might be a 'feature'? Does anyone else notice this or is my Tiggy 'special'?

If it's normal then I'm not worried about it as all it does is further illustrate the tracking headlights, doesn't detract from the effectiveness of the lights in terms of driving at night. However, if no one else has this I'll ask my dealer to have a look the next time I'm in as maybe they need a little horizontal re-alignment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts