Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the light switch on Auto do you need to have headlights on Main Beam for this to work. Cheers

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
My understanding of this is that if you have an SEL or R Line then Dynamic Light Assist is standard, and all other models have High Beam Assist.
In both cases, if you have the light switch set to 'Auto', the main beam is automatically set (providing DLA has been switched on in Setup). You do not have to manually set main beam, it is on all the time. If you wish to control main beam manually, don't set the control to Auto, used the Dip Beam setting.
The following is from the VW Technology website, which explains the differences between the two systems:

Dynamic Light Assist
Dynamic Light Assist optimises illumination of the carriageway for even greater safety on the road.
The system with variable road illumination allows the main beam to be left on continuously without dazzling oncoming traffic. This is possible thanks to a masking function which can partially dip the main-beam headlights. The information on other road users and the street lighting is captured by a camera on the interior mirror and relayed to the Dynamic Light Assist system. This significantly improves illumination of the entire carriageway.
Dynamic Light Assist produces a brand new lighting sensation that is always perfectly tailored to the traffic situation.

High Beam Assist
High Beam Assist dips your high beam automatically to improve driver control and safety for both the driver and other road users.
The system is automatically activated when travelling over 37mph with your dipped beams on.
Using a camera built into the rear-view mirror, the system automatically dips the headlights when it detects either oncoming traffic or vehicles ahead.
It is easier than constantly switching from high to dipped beam and safer too, giving you the best view of the road ahead without dazzling other road users.

Steve

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve.
As it says "allows the main beam to be left on", I presume you need to push the stick to switch main beam on and just leave it.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Actually Beagler I believe you may be right. Reading through it again does suggest you need to have the main beam selected on the stalk for it to work correctly.

Steve

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Beagler,

I think its a bit more complicated - or simple??

I've got an auto SEL and what I currently found out is

At start up you can see the beams moving around - its the software exercising the system; my previous Merc showed me that this was worth watching if there's a problem this is where it will show up.

In Eco the headlights start at dipped, push once and the DLA activates (not a lot in town but some degree of optimisation elsewhere), push again and the main beams kick in. Changes between DLA and main seem to be selected by pushing the selector forward, press again and its "dip" mode.

In Normal DLA seems to activate on start but I've yet to determine the detail on this and Sport mode - hopefully this will help

(like the avatar)

Cheers

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Thanks for that Earl_H, however in the manual it does specify that DLA will not work automatically if you've set 'Eco' mode.

Steve

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Earl_H said:
Hi Beagler,

I think its a bit more complicated - or simple??

I've got an auto SEL and what I currently found out is

At start up you can see the beams moving around - its the software exercising the system; my previous Merc showed me that this was worth watching if there's a problem this is where it will show up.

In Eco the headlights start at dipped, push once and the DLA activates (not a lot in town but some degree of optimisation elsewhere), push again and the main beams kick in. Changes between DLA and main seem to be selected by pushing the selector forward, press again and its "dip" mode.

In Normal DLA seems to activate on start but I've yet to determine the detail on this and Sport mode - hopefully this will help

(like the avatar)

Cheers
Thanks Earl,
Ok Ive seen the lights do a dance on startup. So to assist do I put the lights on main beam with the stalk or leave it as is.
Thanks re Avatar. He's a good lad. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just press the lever forward once the lights are on, you get a white indicator on the bottom of the active display to show its active.
Once the car is going fast enough the blue main beam light will come on.
It seems to work really well I've not had a single person flash me when it's been on.
If you come up to the back of a car they seem to put the lights to each side and it really lights up the pavements etc, the light alter as soon as they detect another car.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yetirider said:
Just press the lever forward once the lights are on, you get a white indicator on the bottom of the active display to show its active.
It seems to work really well I've not had a single person flash me when it's been on.
If you come up to the back of a car they seem to put the lights to each side and it really lights up the pavements etc, the light alter as soon as they detect another car.
Thanks for that. :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks 'Essjay' & 'Yetirider'.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great info cheers guys. Had no luck last night, just tried the advise on this post and what a gadget. Makes me wonder how many people are driving around with these useful gadgets and don't even know they are there

·
Registered
35 Posts
yetirider said:
That's how mine seems to work, I find it odd you have to activate it each time though, you would think when you've put it on it would remain on journey to journey, which i don think it does...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks all - I was wondering how this worked and couldn't decipher the manual!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi guys, my R Line doesn't have the auto option on the headlight dial but I get a message on the dash to turn on dipped beam at dusk or in the garage. I've looked at the manual but cannot find any other way to activate the auto function. Am I being stupid and missing something or doesn't the RLine have it.

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi Timbo......I leave my lights on auto on the lights dial......at night for auto full beam push the indicator stalk forward (just a little nudge, so it springs back) and you will see on your dash bottom left a white headlight/full beam icon lit up.....if you do it manually the full beam light will be blue.....hope that helps..(hard to explain :roll: ;) ) Chris ps if Essjay see's this hopefully ..he's good at putting diagrams on ;) :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Stumpy, what I don't have is the auto select option on my headlight light dial.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Take it back to the dealer. Standard in the U.K, no idea what has happened to your switch? Do your auto wipers work? And your lane assist and road sign recognition which are all in the sensors and cameras at the top of the windscreen behind the rear view mirror

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
No diagram's gonna sort that one out Timbo! :eek:
Looks like someone's dropped a biggun in the production line somewhere. I can't believe that wasn't spotted on your PDI?
As Winrya say's that should be a standard fitting. Let's see your dealer explain this one away ;)

Steve

1 - 20 of 34 Posts