Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I took delivery of my SEL just over two weeks ago. I do a fair few miles so have clocked up 1500 already and so far I'm really impressed - IMO they've got a heck of a lot 'right' with this car :)

I've only been out at night once so far and it was to test the dynamic lights. I've got them selected via the infotainment system and also I've pushed the headlight stalk so as it gives an 'a' in a headlight symbol on the dash. This is coloured grey.

When turning the car on, you can see the lights calibrate / move around. All this seems to tell me they're on.

Thing is when I tested them I was on a country-ish road. They never once went to full beam so, on straight sections of the road, they remained dipped. If I hit the stalk they would go to full beam and the lights were great but this showed me a blue headlight symbol with no 'a' in it so the auto function is gone. My speed throughout this was between 20 and 50mph depending on the stretch of the road and there were no other cars about.

This doesn't equate with what I expected. It's most likely me doing something daft / misunderstanding. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thank you

Gary

·
Registered
133 Posts
I thought that the dynamic headlight meant that they would 'move' into the corners to help visibility and perhaps even turn off the high beam when another car is coming towards you, but I doubt it would be allowed to have high beam coming on automatically?

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The headlights have multi functions. They move from side to side as you turn corners and they have the ability to turn on and off parts of the LED matrix in response to information from the windscreen camera. This means you can have full beam set all the time and the camera will detect cars in front and turn off LEDs so that they appear to be lit only with a dipped beam. Very clever!
This is the information you need:

Font Parallel Number Document Screenshot

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for these replies already :)

Niggly - I've just read that manual post several times and seem to be being a bit thick!

From that it sounds like there's no speed element to it. My problem wasn't that it was dazzling cyclists etc - my high beam just didn't turn on at all unless I made it do so.

There then seems to be some serious translation / double negatives going on in that manual passage! I had heard that eco mode stops the function but I don't have the ability to set that.

I'm pretty sure I'm not in 'travel abroad' mode but I'll check.

As to dynamic cornering, is this saying that if you have dynamic cornering selected the auto high beam dimming won't work? That doesn't seem right.....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It appears you have to turn off dynamic cornering in order for it to work. Guess that having the lights move from side to side as well as having to shutter off parts of the beam is too much for it to cope with. The ECO mode is only available on 4WD variants- so it may not apply to you.
If I remember , I read you have to turn on full beam as normal and providing all the requirements are met- it should do it's stuff.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My main beam assist works fine on the SEL, but only works i think past 37 MPH on open roads.
I can clearly see mine adjusting as cars approach or i come up behind someone, its a great feature.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You are correct yetirider.
VW say it only works at speeds above 60km/h (approx 36mph).
Strange- because very often on an unfamiliar country road you might be travelling at speeds less than this and it would be useful.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
I have 'static cornering', 'dynamic cornering', and 'dynamic lighting' with main beam assist, and all appear to be working at the same time, without having to turn any individual element off.
As has been said, and shown in the manual, the beam assist will only function above 36mph.

Steve

·
Registered
627 Posts
If it's grey I would ask the dealer. When I sit in my car turn the ignition round and not start engine pushing the stick forward makes it go white straight away.

Grey seems to imply it's not on.

I have everything selected in my Light assistance settings.

Out of interest I assume your lights are turned to auto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have only been out at night once so far. The dynamic lighting works on 'Auto' and can be normalised by just turning the light switch full over to the right.

I was in a queue of traffic moving at around 40mph along 'A' roads with the occasional bend and there were fingers of light going out all over the place, in the verge, over the other side of the road when nothing was there, in fact it was quite a light show. However, I thought I was quite considerate to the chap in front by normalising it because he probably wondered 'what the ..' is he playing at behind. It almost seemed as if it was a mini flash of my lights but all the time.

On the motorway later, it illuminated the large blue signs very well but dipped itself due to the increase in light coming back.

It is certainly an interesting bit of technology but I think it will, for most of the time, remain off, like the lane assist!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Interesting to read of your experience with the Dynamic Lighting DPStratMan.
The Lane Assist was the first thing I turned off on the drive back from the dealer. It felt like someone was trying to jiggle the steering wheel and not something I could put up with. As you say- interesting technology.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try driving the car in Sport mode - or go into "individual" settings and set the headlights to "sport".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone - I appreciate it :)

Looking again at my 'a' in a headlight symbol it is actually white, not grey. Sorry for my muppetry on this - that's why you should never send me to a paint shop without specifically saying 'get the Glastonbury Sepia Sky' because I'll just come back with something vaguely buff and disappointing.

I'll play with this again. A couple more questions if you'll all indulge me:

1. With this 36mph thing.... how long do they take to go to main beams in the absence of other cars etc? I'm pretty sure I was doing 40-50 with my little white 'a' light symbol and they for sure stayed dipped. Could be mistaken of course!

2. Does the colour of the symbol change? When you're doing them manually I believe it's green and blue for dipped / main beam but there's no 'a' there. With the dynamics, does that 'a' in a headlight symbol stay coloured white irrespective of the light show the system is putting on?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi,
1. From what I can remember takes a few seconds and in some instances this can prove too long bendy road pitch black etc.

2. The blue beam light comes on if I remember, to show it's on. But I haven't used for a while myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have LED Dynamic lights. They work at any speed and come onto full beam when the road is dark enough, street lights stop the system working.
As I drive I can see the cars infront and coming towards my being masked by the system and as I turn corners the lights shine around it, very clever.I leave my lights on auto but manually select full beam, which then shows auto in the display, never need to touch them again until restart for next journey. Hope this makes sense and helps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I take it there are 4 sets of headlights for the Tiguan then.

Normal Halogen
Basic Led
Full Led with light assist
Full Led with dynamic light assist

I have the full led with light assist. It has the HB assist and the lights swivel left or right with the steering wheel turns but no blocking out cars in front etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An update on this as I was out after dark this week.

They work - I couldn't have been going fast enough last time. When I went over mid-30's speed, the white 'a' headlight symbol turned blue and they went to high beam and successfully stayed there without dazzling other cars. Very impressive :)

They went back to white once my speed came down to 30 or so.

The only thing I don't like so far with this? If you are on a country road with nothing coming I think you're better off leaving them on manual high beam. It's not fun them dipping when you stumble below the threshold. But for A roads at night they're great :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts