Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In the book, it is only pictured with speed limits and a no overtaking sign as well as letting you know fi there is a difference in speed limits for towing trailers / wet weathers, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced any different road signs that it recognises?

I personally haven't, but just wanted to know if speed and no overtaking were the only signs that the Dynamic recognition recognised or if perhaps my system isn't picking up other things - like height restriction or humpback bridge or narrow road (as other examples) or things that others are maybe experiencing?

The other thing I have noticed as well is that my system seems to have a habit of picking up side roads and their signs - near where I live my main road is a 30 mph but several side roads have the 20 mph sign on them - now obviously its not for my road, but my car is picking up those signals then informing me that that is the speed limit on my road? Anyone else finding this?

Or does no-one actually take any notice of this little feature? I have found it useful sometimes on the motorway where I am not sure if the 50mph roadworks restriction has finished as I "missed" the national speed limit sign or the other way round...if the roadworks I'm going through was actually a 50mph limit...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My car doesn't appear to have Dynamic Traffic sign recognition.
Do you know if having the Discover Pro system is needed before it can be added?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
niggly58 said:
My car doesn't appear to have Dynamic Traffic sign recognition.
Do you know if having the Discover Pro system is needed before it can be added?
I haven't got Discover Pro system so that isn't a pre-requisite niggly.

An old spec booklet says it comes with side scan - but again this isn't something I ordered, but I do know my car is recognising road signs as I watch it change when I go past the sign as I have been watching to check it was on / working :D :D (sad I know..)

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I went o France it seemed to read the signs better than over here. It also picked up on the speed variation on the same stretch of road by overlaying the speed you require. It also picked up the no overtaking signs. As far as I am aware the only signs it is designed to read are speed and no overtaking. Mine does also pick up other road speeds not pertinent to the road yuoa re on but tends to be if the other sign is in the line of sight of the camera.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Question is - how do you know if you have it and it's not just picking it up from GPS?
An odd thing I noticed the other day- when I leave my work car park it tells me the speed limit on the road is 20. I know it is 30.
So is it seeing a sign somewhere in the car park? Don't know. Very odd.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know as when I went past a 50km/h sign it changed to 50 even though I was still on a 110km/h road. I have also found it reads the overhead gantry's on the M42 or temporary road works speed signs on the motorway.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
This thread also covers this-
https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=806&start=10
It says it comes with side scan but not with emergency assist.

Some info on option codes for the Golf I found, which should apply to the Tig and they suggest Sign Assist only comes with Discover Pro:

PFA: Lane and light assist. No TSR
PFG: Lane and light assist and TSR. Only with Pro Nav. Same price as PFA
PFB: Lane and Dynamic light assist. No TSR
PFH Lane and dynamic light assist and TSR. Only with Pro Nav. Same price as PFB

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
niggly58 said:
Question is - how do you know if you have it and it's not just picking it up from GPS?
As per the other response to this, when going past temporary roadworks, it picks up if there is a sign there - I have been watching it change within metres of going past the sign - its really quick to notice it.

Also, as I said sometimes I have been on main road - which starts showing as a 30 or even has done this on a 40mph road too, and it displays that its a 30 or 40, but if then it "sees" the side road sign of 20mph, it changes it - until I next go past a reminder (usually every 3rd or 4th lamppost) saying 40mph and then it changes it back.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I switched mine off as it seemed to be adding signs via the sat nav for adjacent roads and flyovers etc. I'd be on a dual carriageway at 70 and it would flash up saying speed limit 20mph.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Breezer, you say you switched yours off.
For the benefit of the rest of us- can you tell us how to turn it on!

·
Registered
485 Posts
niggly58 said:
Breezer, you say you switched yours off.
For the benefit of the rest of us- can you tell us how to turn it on!
Car - Settings (the cog symbol) - Driver Assistance

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thanks breezer.
Unfortunately I only have Dynamic Road Sign Display as an option - no Sign Assist. Oh well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
niggly58 said:
Thanks breezer.
Unfortunately I only have Dynamic Road Sign Display as an option - no Sign Assist. Oh well.
In the Owners Manual, the section header says "Dynamic Road Sign Display (Sign Assist)", so they're the same thing.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have been looking into this further and I am more confused.
There appear to be two systems: Dynamic Traffic Sign Display and Sign Assist.
The first displays information from the Sat Nav data and the second from reading signs through the camera in the windscreen.
I only appear to have the first. Sign Assist also displays signs other than speed restrictions, which is a bit of a clue to it's presence.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
niggly - turn it on and try to find somewhere that has a no overtaking sign.

Then in the Active information display, you can get it so it displays road signs in the middle part (I cant remember the options and the wife is out in the car at the moment so I cant check).

Then go and drive past the sign a couple of times and it should come up next to the speed limit sign (if it has seen one of those too).

:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was under the impression that this should pick up all relevant road signs. My system picks up the signs in the temporary roadworks (so I know the info is from the camera) but I've not yet seen any other road signs. Is there some info on this somewhere regarding only the no overtaking sign being picked up? (The VW video demonstration of the function shows a number of different signs being displayed)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is why I've asked Chris as mine has only picked up no overtaking and speed restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bhuna said:
This is why I've asked Chris as mine has only picked up no overtaking and speed restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like you and I have the same model, spec and build date Bhuna.
When I contacted VW before delivery they told me the camera based sign assist is only available as part of the side scan package and did not come as standard on the SEL. I'd seen it on the forums though, people had found they had it on the SEL and R line without the pack. I've been wondering if its not fully implemented without the package (although thought this was probably unlikely)

Is there anyone that can comment on which signs show up on their systems?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Curiouser and curiouser.
I cannot believe VW would only enable a partial system which meant you had to buy a pack to get the full one.
I have enabled it as bhuna suggested and will see what it does on my usual London trip tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts