Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else get these when driving?

the gear number disappears if I’m rolling down a hill almost like it’s coasting

Photos not taken by me!!

Speedometer Gauge Automotive design Mode of transport Personal luxury car

Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive design Speedometer

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,602 Posts
Coasting can be deactivated but I would just leave it to do its job

Reactions: Sparkie1984

·
Registered
251 Posts
When in normal drive mode, I sometimes get the Eco symbol come up as the DSG does indeed go into 'coast' mode on downhill stretches or when I back off the throttle approaching speed reduction. It's a fuel saving function of the DSG. If you dab the brake pedal, it will revert to engine braking.

I've never noticed the gear number disappearing though - will watch out for that in future.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I’ll leave it was just curious, is this a facelift thing? My SEL never did it.

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,602 Posts
Yeah I’ll leave it was just curious, is this a facelift thing? My SEL never did it.
This has been happening before the facelift version was released, but it depended on which model you had, some had this feature and others didn't. When coasting the gear position disappears as it is not in gear as the clutch disengages the drive, but as soon as the clutch engages the drive again it will show what gear you are in.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Works with all settings except Sport mode. Little eco sign pops up in the top of the dash as well. If you are going downhill and it doesn’t kick in then a little dab of the accelerator usually brings it in.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I believe It’s part of the ACT (active cylinder technology) exclusively on the 1.5 TSI engine. My wife has it on her Polo Blue GT. Basically on that at very light throttle loads the engine reverts to 2 cylinder mode to save fuel, and the little Eco mode appears on the dash. It’s very efficient and can apparently switch from 2 cylinder mode to standard mode in a half revolution of the camshaft.

see here (half way down the page)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe It’s part of the ACT (active cylinder technology) exclusively on the 1.5 TSI engine. My wife has it on her Polo Blue GT. Basically on that at very light throttle loads the engine reverts to 2 cylinder mode to save fuel, and the little Eco mode appears on the dash. It’s very efficient and can apparently switch from 2 cylinder mode to standard mode in a half revolution of the camshaft.

see here (half way down the page)

So that’s why I never saw it! My previous tiggy was a diesel. Mind you never saw the coasting feature either but maybe there was something wrong with my last one as it was so rough on gear changes compared to the new one

·
Registered
159 Posts
My diesel model has this as well.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I believe It’s part of the ACT (active cylinder technology) exclusively on the 1.5 TSI engine.
Not true, I had it on my diesel, and we have it on the misses T-Cross with the 3 cyl 1 litre. It's not just VW. It's on all cars with DSG. Because of the complex conditions VW have coded in though it does not happen consistently. You can be driving along, lift off and it starts coasting. Re engage the drive a little, lift off and it won't happen, Very frustrating.

Many have found a tap or double tap on the accelerator often force initiates it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not true, I had it on my diesel, and we have it on the misses T-Cross with the 3 cyl 1 litre. It's not just VW. It's on all cars with DSG. Because of the complex conditions VW have coded in though it does not happen consistently. You can be driving along, lift off and it starts coasting. Re engage the drive a little, lift off and it won't happen, Very frustrating.

Many have found a tap or double tap on the accelerator often force initiates it.
Also have it on the 2l 190 Tsi

·
Registered
Allspace R line 245 Tsi 4motion DSG
2,404 Posts
I've had it on my
2018 1.4Tsi 150 4Motion DSG SE Nav - only in ECO mode
2020 2.0Tdi 150 4Motion DSG R Line Tech - E or D
2022 2.0 Tsi 245 blah de blah R Line- E or D

·
Registered
R Line Tech 1.5tsi dsg in Deep Pearl Black
113 Posts
I've had it on my
2018 1.4Tsi 150 4Motion DSG SE Nav - only in ECO mode
2020 2.0Tdi 150 4Motion DSH R Line Tech - E or D
2022 2.0 Tsi 245 blah de blah R Line- E or D
My R Line tech is just the same the D appears when I have eased off the gas pedal

·
Registered
298 Posts

True, when cruising with light or constant throttle input, ECO will appear on the dash next to the speed limit. This is an indication that the petrol engine has switched to cylinder deactivation mode. Diesels do not have this option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts