Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we spent our Christmas and New Year break on the Continent I thought I'd share some experiences. We covered 2771 miles on British, French, Belgian, Dutch, German and Polish roads with sun, rain, sleet, ice and snow and temperatures ranging from 10C to -20C and I'm pleased to say I'm still happy with the choice I made with the car.

1. Before the trip knowing that winter tyres are compulsory during winter conditions in Germany I bought proper rubber for my Tig. I read lots of good reports on Nokian tyres so purchased WR SUV 3 winter tyres. I can't recommend them enough: good wet grip, fantastic on the snow and C class fuel efficiency. A little bit noisier than summer Pirelli Scorpion Verde but hey these are winter tyres with very different tread. Even though I have 2WD Tiguan I wasn't afraid to drive on snowy country lanes in Germany and Poland.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

2. German autobahns gave me the possibility to check the proper speed. I managed to reach 180 kph (i.e. some 111 mph) but didn't pushed harder even though it wasn't a top speed. 18" winter rubber with softer compound made a car a bit soft and wavy around that speed so I kept safe 140-150 kph (85-95 mph). I'm sure cars with 19" (SEL) and 20" (R-Line) tyres will be more firm.

3. The lowest temperature we experienced was -23C. Even though my Tig was always up and running and never missed a bit. Very happy that VW equipped new Tiguan with quick heater as most of the diesels need a lot of time to warm up the interior. Couple minutes and Tig's interior was warm and nice. The only failure was frozen Halfords -5C screenwasher so I had to buy -20C concentrate to de-ice it.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Land vehicle

Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire Sky

Car Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Automotive design

4. At one of the Polish BP garages I topped up AdBlue. After around 2700 miles covered from new my AdBlue indication showed 4000kms range (so around half tank of AdBlue left). They had both pump with AdBlue and bottles but I decided to use a pump. No problem with filling up, nozzle fitted perfectly (even though this pump was mainly used by lorries). And fantastic price around 40p per litre. What not to like…

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Material property Automotive exterior

5. I must admit that Tig's tailgate gets dirty almost instantly. And what's even worse opening handle is dirty as well. So those of you who ordered cars with electric tailgate made a very good move.

6. On the way back to the UK (in Holland and Belgium) in drizzly conditions and temperatures around 0C I had some Front Assist defect warnings. So had to switch off Front Assist completely in anticipation of any sudden unexpected braking in icy conditions. The reason of this failure was ice that was building up all over the front of the car including radar sensor in VW logo. One stop on the services and quick de-icing solved the issue.

7. Obvious items to buy when travelling to Europe are headlight beam converters. Those of you with SEL and R-lines won't bother as you can adjust your LED headlights from infotainment menu. But those with S and SE trims must stick some converters. I bought 2 sets (just in case) from this website. Unfortunately I've been flashed several times by oncoming cars in Germany and this prompted me to check the headlights pattern. As you see from the photo below the beam pattern is simply almost identical to the original UK one i.e. not deflected to the right hand side. The pattern is not even a flat one. There is still clearly visible beam that shines to the left. I suspect that these converters are not compatible with Tig's H7 clear glass headlights however nothing has been mentioned about this in the fitting instructions. I have contacted the seller and reported this and been offered refund but just a warning to stay away from this particular type. It would be good to know whether Eurolites converters do the job properly.

Automotive parking light Car Grille Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Rectangle Window Automotive design Sky

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes thanks...it was an interesting read...posts like this that make the forum excellent.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi SlimPollack....thank you so much for your time in posting this long detailed interesting and indeed useful report...KUDOS!!! The best part is that your Tiguan never let tou down in such difficult conditions and as a result you enjoyed your trip to the max.
You confirm to all of us that we have made the Right decision buying the new VW Tiguan
Cheers :D !!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
SlimPollack said:
At one of the Polish BP garages I topped up AdBlue. After around 2700 miles covered from new my AdBlue indication showed 4000kms range (so around half tank of AdBlue left).
Hi, SlimPollack, where can I find the current AdBlue level in my car? I went through all the settings in all menus and can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Zele,

It is not really a level indication but rather a range approximation. It could be found displayed on the instrument cluster display among other things like avg consumption, avg speed, actual speed, range etc (scrollable info using up/down arrows on the steering wheel).

View attachment 463

But your Tig is a Highline so I reckon it has Active Info Display so not sure how you can get this info displayed.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, I found it. I was searching in menus on infotaintment system. Found it using up/down arrows on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good to hear the Tiguan heats up fast, my current car a diesel BMW 2 series takes about 20 mins to get warm...not good.

Great write up, thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had information from VW that my 2017 SE Nav Tiguan with halogen lights does NOT need headlamp converters as it is a flat beam. So, I am confused now.

Glad to know that it handles well in snow.

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Apologies for resurrecting a thread that's almost a year old.

OP, are the alloys in the pics standard fitment for the Tig, or did you buy them?
What tyre sizes did you go for?

We're picking up a 2WD R-line which I imagine is fine around town but don't think the 20" alloys and summer tyres will cope with snow and ice if we have further similar weather in the next few months.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cooool trip !

We did 'Tiggy goes East' in the summer, similarish routing. Your report should give Tig drivers the reassurance they need to embark upon these journeys with confidence. Well done.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stealthwolf said:
Apologies for resurrecting a thread that's almost a year old.

OP, are the alloys in the pics standard fitment for the Tig, or did you buy them?
What tyre sizes did you go for?
Hi,
I just swapped the tyres for the winter ones so the alloys are standard on my SE Nav.
Tyre size is 235/55R18.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No worries,
Tyres bought from oponeo.co.uk
I have no idea whether they have these Nokians in stock but plenty others available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts