Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Newbie from the Deep South-West here!

Put an order down on a White R-Line with a few options:
Area View with Park Assist
Keyless Entry and Remote Boot
Dealer fit pet package (boot liner, clear protective film on the bumper and seat guard)

Ordered on week 4 and have already got a confirmed build date of week 9! This was after being told to expect a 35-40 week wait.

Looking to pick the car up around end of March/early April if everything goes to plan.

Was trying not to get excited with the 30+ week wait, but think I better start now :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Squirtukuk

Welcome to the forum and great choice btw. When you say confirmed build date do you mean states on the VW tracker or told by dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Timbo said:
Hi Squirtukuk

Welcome to the forum and great choice btw. When you say confirmed build date do you mean states on the VW tracker or told by dealer.
VW tracker stated it, Live Chat has confirmed it, Customer services has confirmed it and I'm now waiting on the dealer to confirm it.

RichyP said:
Hello and welcome. That's a cracking lead time for a new R Line!
I was pleasantly surprised when it popped up in the app!

PWVWT2017 said:
That will feel nice and powerful! I am happy with the 150 even.
The 190 TDI SEL I test drove definitely had enough omph for me! I just hope with the lower mileage I do, I won't have too many issues with the DPF!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PWVWT2017 said:
What mileage do you do and how often a run?
9-11k per year roughly. And we tend to do longish run every fortnight. I have a diesel at the moment and haven't had an issue with the DPF in the last 3 years so I'm hoping with the newer technology it'll be even less of an issue.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I normally do 8k, however I signed up to 10k with this lease.

Bearing in mind I had a 2.0 petrol turbo previously, I plan on driving this car a lot more than the previous one!

I won't go over the 10k, but I plan to give the car a blast down the motorway for 15 minutes at least two times during the week, then if we go anywhere significant on weekends.

I have been told one run a week should do it.

In the words of the AA guy I spoke to, driving to work 7 to 8 miles each way through a city every day and nothing else will 'kill the car'. I plan on treating this car as if I had paid for it fully up front in cash - always look after any car I drive.

So, this morning, I gave it a good run down the motorway for at least 15 minutes continuous driving and it only adds 5 minutes or so to the journey time I would say so no issues and quite nice, rather than stop start traffic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
111 Posts
Will be a nice car, just wondered why people mention worrying about the dpf. Not wanting to start the big petrol/diesel debate but I was always told if you do less than 20000 miles a year a diesel will not pay for its self. By the time you factor in increased cost of diesel fuel , ad blue and initial purchase price and the impending increase cost of diesel cars entering London, and i'm sure other big cities will follow, you'd be better off going for petrol as its realistically only about 10mpg different, that is for 4motion cars I grant 2wd will be better again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dolphinfriendly1012 said:
Will be a nice car, just wondered why people mention worrying about the dpf. Not wanting to start the big petrol/diesel debate but I was always told if you do less than 20000 miles a year a diesel will not pay for its self. By the time you factor in increased cost of diesel fuel , ad blue and initial purchase price and the impending increase cost of diesel cars entering London, and i'm sure other big cities will follow, you'd be better off going for petrol as its realistically only about 10mpg different, that is for 4motion cars I grant 2wd will be better again.
This was a massive sticking point I had before putting an order down. Ideally I would have loved to have test drove the petrol but unfortunately they had no TSI Tiguans to test drive so I went with the safe option and got the TDI (having test driven this engine and owned diesels for the last 8 years).
I think the running costs are going to be roughly the same; depreciation is the biggest cost of any car purchase and the only real concern is the anti-diesel mentality at the moment might exacerbate that in the future.

However I figured that if I'm happy with the car, and I'm happy with how much it costs every month, then that's all that really matters. At the end of the day, no one really knows what's going to happen in the future, so why worry about it... :D :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Squirtukuk said:
dolphinfriendly1012 said:
This was a massive sticking point I had before putting an order down. Ideally I would have loved to have test drove the petrol but unfortunately they had no TSI Tiguans to test drive so I went with the safe option and got the TDI (having test driven this engine and owned diesels for the last 8 years).
I think the running costs are going to be roughly the same; depreciation is the biggest cost of any car purchase and the only real concern is the anti-diesel mentality at the moment might exacerbate that in the future.

However I figured that if I'm happy with the car, and I'm happy with how much it costs every month, then that's all that really matters. At the end of the day, no one really knows what's going to happen in the future, so why worry about it... :D :lol:
That is the joy of leasing... especially with a diesel car. I was completely against it previously, but sometimes there are really good deals that work out for everyone.

·
Registered
106 Posts
johnh said:
Read post on dpf as it is very informative. It reckons a blast down the motorway just soots it up even more.
Thanks for this.

I read it differently. The issue to me is surely the car will fail at regenerating if stop starting at lower speeds and varying revs, unless you give it one big long constant run at 2000 revs plus for 10-15 mins every now and again... . The aim is for passive regeneration, which is natural.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also, the average mileage must still be around 10k on a car. Loads of people have diesel engines that do not even 8k... these people don't all have DPF issues.

I also don't think for a second you have to do 20k to make your money back on a diesel vs. petrol. It all depends on how you are buying the car too, but despite that I still don't think that is right.

I have noticed already that with my normal driving this car will do at least 125 miles more to a tank (same size) as my old petrol car. That is huge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts