Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I've had a search through but couldn't see a similar question. Sorry if it's been asked before.
What is the difference between the factory and aftermarket extended warranties?
When I ordered the car my dealer said I might as well just add the extended warranty as the car warranty gets close to expiry instead of paying for the factory extended warranty now.
I've just read this as I was browsing the VW site and wondered what the difference was?

"I have heard about your new Extended Factory Warranty, when should I buy this?
It is very important you tell your retailer when you order the vehicle that you would like Extended Factory Warranty as it must be ordered when your vehicle is. Unfortunately we can't add our Extended Factory Warranty to vehicles after they are registered. However, you can extend your original vehicle warranty at the end of three years by choosing an extended aftermarket warranty."

Thanks for your help - car is in transit so can't wait to get it! It will be my first brand new car :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Lazarus . To get the benefit of MAUFACTORS EXTENDED Warranty not to be confused with the Warranty you take out when the cars coming up to 3 years old , it has to be taken out before the car is registed . This way you are extending your 3 year Warrnty to 4/5 years, what you have to be aware of is buying extended Warrantys after cars 3 year old I'd that most don't cover software. I had a BMW 530 that was under BMW manufactures Warranty that was in the workshop for 5 weeks software problem which extended Warranty would not have been covered . Plus the warranty will have gone up in price later on.
Best advice RING VW CUSTOMER SEVRVICE

·
Registered
328 Posts
Extended warranty is an insurance product, there will certainly be exclusions. Not sure about claims process, likely will need approval from insurers. The extended factory warranty is just that, an extension on the original warranty. As I understand it will cover everything as per the first three years including factory fitted options within mileage limits as stipulated. Any issues just take the vehicle to your nearest convieient VW dealer.

Given the level of tech and the fact that I tend to keep my cars for a while I paid the extra for the full five years. Quite a steep difference between 4 and 5 years which maybe tells you something...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've contacted my dealer and they're going to see if I can still add it to my order. Seems worth it for the peace of mind as I might have the car for 4yrs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My first Panoramic Roof and DSG prompted me to extend the Warranty to 5 yrs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
;) Just to add, the warranty stays with the car ,so if selling private it can be a good selling point ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Managed to get it added to my order today just before the car was registered. I'm now on countdown until I can pick it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts