Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Are all Tiguans built in the Wolfsburg factory? Also the UK/Ireland ones? How would the longer delivery scales for the EU be explained?

Thanks, cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Bernard

I asked VW chat where mine was being built, and they said in Wolfsburg. But I don't know if that's all Tiguans?

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the effort and reply! It's so strange, I read 12-14 weeks delivery times here, mine will take around 27-28... also built in Wolfsburg...

Damn frustrating! :)

cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Bernard

Wow, that' s a long time to wait. I ordered mine on 15th March. The agent said due to a backlog (lack of some parts) they had been told to advise customers six months possible wait, with the hope it might be sooner. Two weeks later I had a confirmed build week of 24th April. The agent said expect 4-6 weeks after that for delivery. So that could be late May or early June. But I have read reports on here where the car has arrived more quickly than the tracker suggests. Definitely speak to the agent, they get weekly updates and VW live chat (you can Google it) is quite helpful, but busy.

So where are you?

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Paul, I'm in Belgium. Mine was ordered around 30th March, expected delivery at dealer would be end of November, early December. Unlike in the UK we don't get a tracking number, we rely on dealer info...

Probably production slots are reserved by country (local VW import)...

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's tough and not fair. But if mine get's hijacked on the way here, I'll know where to look :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries, we have left-hand drive ones ;-)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Bernard

I had to look at your post history to confirm which model you've ordered. I suggest that you add some details to the signature in your profile, it will help others when replying to questions.

As I understand it a Highline is approximately the same as an SEL in the UK? I can't understand why delivery to Belgium is any slower than to the UK, in fact it should be marginally quicker if geography has anything to do with it... maybe they want to sell as many cars to us before Brexit and the 'taps get turned off' :roll:

My SEL was ordered 8 weeks ago tomorrow and is now at my dealer, I'm collecting on Wednesday next week. I gather that I've been quite lucky with things lining up but I wouldn't say that this sort of time-scale, or something close is out of the ordinary. R-Line models are another story though, not sure what component it is but there seems to be some part of the car that's in short supply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chas, took your advice at heart, there should be a signature below now :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Chas said:
As I understand it a Highline is approximately the same as an SEL in the UK? I can't understand why delivery to Belgium is any slower than to the UK, in fact it should be marginally quicker if geography has anything to do with it... maybe they want to sell as many cars to us before Brexit and the 'taps get turned off' :roll:

My SEL was ordered 8 weeks ago tomorrow and is now at my dealer, I'm collecting on Wednesday next week. I gather that I've been quite lucky with things lining up but I wouldn't say that this sort of time-scale, or something close is out of the ordinary. R-Line models are another story though, not sure what component it is but there seems to be some part of the car that's in short supply.
After frequenting this forum for the past few days, I'm highly convinced that delivery dates have everything to do with dealership allocation and demand for a given country. My only hope is that dealerships become more transparent to this fact, and inform their (potential) customers appropriately to avoid disappointment.

S/SE/SEL variants are equivalent to Trendline/Comfortline/Highline respectively in most other European countries. One regret I'm having is not ordering from the UK, and importing it from there as opposed to buying from a dealership in Ireland. So much more capacity for specific equipment, and engine optioning as opposed to the bundling and lack of choice. Biggest grievance, is the lack of petrol options going to the 'SEL' variant (not as if they were spectacular to begin with in the former). If my dealer doesn't inform me appropriately of its allocations and my approximate delivery date, I'll cancel and find myself a 180PS petrol Tiguan in the UK!

·
Registered
220 Posts
alphaparticle said:
Chas said:

After frequenting this forum for the past few days, I'm highly convinced that delivery dates have everything to do with dealership allocation and demand for a given country. My only hope is that dealerships become more transparent to this fact, and inform their (potential) customers appropriately to avoid disappointment.

S/SE/SEL variants are equivalent to Trendline/Comfortline/Highline respectively in most other European countries. One regret I'm having is not ordering from the UK, and importing it from there as opposed to buying from a dealership in Ireland. So much more capacity for specific equipment, and engine optioning as opposed to the bundling and lack of choice. Biggest grievance, is the lack of petrol options going to the 'SEL' variant (not as if they were spectacular to begin with in the former). If my dealer doesn't inform me appropriately of its allocations and my approximate delivery date, I'll cancel and find myself a 180PS petrol Tiguan in the UK!
I think you are right about dealership allocation affecting delivery times. With this in mind, is anyone ordered from Murray Volkswagen Plymouth? I have always dealt with them, but Exeter and Truro are close too.

I'm just wondering what other customers of Murray Plymouth have experienced with delivery times.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wonder if Carwow, drivethedeal etc. best prices are from dealers with allocations to fill. I was expecting the opposite, i.e. maybe a longer wait, having found best price via this method. Pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi JJ1.

I have placed an order with Murray Plymouth. They have been excellent so far. I've been dealing with Lynsey. After obtaining a good quote from Drive The Deal, I went to about 8 dealers in the south west, none (bar one) of who would match it. My local dealer (Bath) refused to even come close. Exeter came close to matching the price but Truro were well off the mark.

I called Lynsey after a family member recommended her and she instantly matched the offer and gave a reasonable trade in price for my current A3 , guaranteed however long the car takes to arrive.

I've been getting email status updates from her every 2 weeks and even managed to change my order (upped engine size) with minimal fuss and another DTD price match. I asked Lynsey to keep her eyes out for a number plate containing my wife and son's initial and she agreed to do so. I ordered mid January and will hopefully pick up the car next month. Approximately 18 weeks. I'd certainly recommend Murray Plymouth to anyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the contributions and reflections. In the meantime I took contact with the "D'Ieteren company"; the Belgian VW-Audi-Skoda-Seat importer.

Apparently they need to reserve production timeslots for the next year per factory and car model. They need to do this by forecasting sales and demand. It seems they did a lousy job last year as the sales figures for the Tiguan seem to surprise them...? Can you believe that?? The mid-size SUV market has been boooooming for years. When there is a new model that looks good, you can expect people to want this, no? They fact that they are taken by surprise by the demand for the tiguan seems so odd. Especially since Belgium has a large fleet of company cars (getting a company car is a way of getting more salary here) which are renewed every 4 years (on average).

Seems a bunch of nitwits to me...

·
Registered
953 Posts
I beleave it's possible to pick your new car up from the factory, if that's so I think it would be so nice going on one of the factory tours then picking up your new car for a steady drive home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Mike,

True, you can visit Autostadt and drive your new car home, but I guess it won't speed up production...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Miket said:
I beleave it's possible to pick your new car up from the factory, if that's so I think it would be so nice going on one of the factory tours then picking up your new car for a steady drive home.

·
Registered
953 Posts
bernardvm99 said:
Hi Mike,

True, you can visit Autostadt and drive your new car home, but I guess it won't speed up production...
I'd speed the buggers up :evil:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well I finally placed my order for a 190 SEL 4motion with Area View, Towbar, Keyless/Elec Tailgate, 4yr warranty yesterday, and I was gobsmacked when I was given a build date of week 32, the week before they quoted 12 week delivery, but now appears to be more like 18 when it would reach dealer! Hopefully it might change. Also, I will have lost the headlight washers on a 2018 model car, only benefit is its likely to be 67 reg!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bathonian said:
Hi JJ1.

I have placed an order with Murray Plymouth. They have been excellent so far. I've been dealing with Lynsey. After obtaining a good quote from Drive The Deal, I went to about 8 dealers in the south west, none (bar one) of who would match it. My local dealer (Bath) refused to even come close. Exeter came close to matching the price but Truro were well off the mark.

I called Lynsey after a family member recommended her and she instantly matched the offer and gave a reasonable trade in price for my current A3 , guaranteed however long the car takes to arrive.

I've been getting email status updates from her every 2 weeks and even managed to change my order (upped engine size) with minimal fuss and another DTD price match. I asked Lynsey to keep her eyes out for a number plate containing my wife and son's initial and she agreed to do so. I ordered mid January and will hopefully pick up the car next month. Approximately 18 weeks. I'd certainly recommend Murray Plymouth to anyone.
I purchased my Golf from Lynsey. Fantastic service from her and all at Murray VW Plymouth. Unfortunately she was off work for a while so I was passed to another member of the team to purchase my Tiguan.

All great so far - just a frustrating long wait until July now. MY18 changes for my Tiguan, which I would preferred not to have had.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts