Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We have recently bought a Tiguan (Rline), new from Harrogate VW. Within 2 weeks the auto handbrake started sticking, and intermittently would not release when pulling out of junctions. The tension pulling away actually felt like it increased the first day it happened, from resistance pulling away, to eventually not releasing the handbrake.
We took it back to the dealer, who found no problems on diagnostics, so were unable to do anything. It then drove absolutely fine for over 2 weeks, and then again last Thursday there was resistance again pulling out of junctions, until the handbrake finally wouldn't release automatically again.
Having read prev reviews on here - we are clearly not alone!
The dealership however, having now had the car since Monday, are saying they can find no faults, and it must be down to driving style. Were this the case - surely the problem would happen all the time, not for a couple of days at a time.
They have said VW have no awareness of it being a problem with any other cars (which I find hard to believe having read posts on here!).
However, I now have a 1month old car, which I have no confidence in driving being returned to me tomorrow with the same fault.
Please can anyone else who has had this problem comment below, and I will forward this chain to VW directly.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cstracs said:
Hi all,
We have recently bought a Tiguan (Rline), new from Harrogate VW. Within 2 weeks the auto handbrake started sticking, and intermittently would not release when pulling out of junctions. The tension pulling away actually felt like it increased the first day it happened, from resistance pulling away, to eventually not releasing the handbrake.
We took it back to the dealer, who found no problems on diagnostics, so were unable to do anything. It then drove absolutely fine for over 2 weeks, and then again last Thursday there was resistance again pulling out of junctions, until the handbrake finally wouldn't release automatically again.
Having read prev reviews on here - we are clearly not alone!
The dealership however, having now had the car since Monday, are saying they can find no faults, and it must be down to driving style. Were this the case - surely the problem would happen all the time, not for a couple of days at a time.
They have said VW have no awareness of it being a problem with any other cars (which I find hard to believe having read posts on here!).
However, I now have a 1month old car, which I have no confidence in driving being returned to me tomorrow with the same fault.
Please can anyone else who has had this problem comment below, and I will forward this chain to VW directly.
Many thanks.
Hi Cstracts
Had my Tig 4 weeks and approx 1000 miles now and having a similar problem. Thought it might have been because I'd been too soft on the throttle but have had more than one instance when the tension felt so high I thought the brake cables were about to snap before I could finally pull away.
I was hoping it would remedy as everything freed up a little but now I'm not so sure.
Like you, I'd be interested to hear other experiences ( loving the car otherwise).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have to say here I have an electronic (not full auto but I don't release it myself when I drive off) handbrake on my current Megane and 72000 miles and nearly 5 years in.... No issues. Surely if Renault can manage it on an older design then VW can do it on a new one?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Folks, I had a similar problem on my MK 7 Golf GTi Performance... to a point one evening my wife parked it up and it rolled 50 yards down the road and through a neighbours wall...the problem started in a similar manner to what you are reporting. Needless to say VW would not have the fact there was a fault with the electronic brake. It destroyed my confidence in what was an amazing car. I think the problem is clearly continuing on the new Tiguan. Beware folks, especially if you drive the manual and leave it in gear!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks yetirider (and all above), that's what I'm having to do....but surely if the handbrake is supposed to release automatically on a £35k car...it should do it automatically?

Waiting to see what the garage say today, but from above and prev posts on here, it's clearly not an isolated problem, or driver error, and something VW should take responsibility for.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Out of interest does the green P stay lit ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to have to start monitoring the green light etc. Now going to keep a log in the car. Difficulty is it happened for 2days...then fine for over 2wks...then again for 2days. When it starts you can feel a resistance build up when you pull out of junctions over the day until it finally stops working. There is definitely something sticking, and then for whatever reason it releases.
Also going to monitor weather conditions. In the demo Tiguan I've had this week it only did it on one rainy day, having been parked outside all night. Then fine the next day???
I have just lost confidence in the car.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You haven't said, but is your car a manual or auto?

·
Registered
463 Posts
It does help if members post details of their car as others do.

·
Registered
485 Posts
niggly58 said:
You haven't said, but is your car a manual or auto?
How about yours? ;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Mine is a manual, but that is not relevant to the original poster's problem. The operation of the handbrake is different between manual and auto. For example, there is no clutch pedal- so no switch that could be faulty on the pedal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Beagler. As I only joined the group yesterday I do apologise as I've not yet had chance to do that. It's a 2017 VW Tiguan Rline (which I did mention in my first post). 4wd, 2litre, grey manual.

Hgte VW have accepted it has nothing to do with 'driving style' today and are providing me with details to deal directly with VW customer services myself on Monday. Don't know if anyone else has experience of dealing with them directly, but happy to forward cases of the same problem for other people. Cs

·
Registered
463 Posts
Cstracs said:
Thank you Beagler. As I only joined the group yesterday I do apologise as I've not yet had chance to do that. It's a 2017 VW Tiguan Rline (which I did mention in my first post). 4wd, 2litre, grey manual.

Hgte VW have accepted it has nothing to do with 'driving style' today and are providing me with details to deal directly with VW customer services myself on Monday. Don't know if anyone else has experience of dealing with them directly, but happy to forward cases of the same problem for other people. Cs
No need to apologise to me. Can I suggest you put the car details in your signature as it will appear in all your future posts automatically.
Init good how the dealers pass you to VW and leave you to fend for yourself. They take your money.....................

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you've got a Manual, it might be worth having the basic settings done on the Clutch pedal switch and see if that it helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. I messaged Paul Willis (UK Managing Director for VW) through LinkedIn at the weekend. He is getting someone to call me to sort it out. Watch this space....!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the benefit of Lostpigeon, VW are now taking my car down to head office for more testing. Nothing comes up on diagnostics. Had to contact head office as arrange myself though. Not done through the dealership.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been told mine isn't part of the recall - which thread is it, I can't see it on the list?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi mine has gone in today (again) for front assist braking problems. Mentioned that the handbrake had stuck a couple of times and they said ours was on a recall for it and they would replace repair fault. I will find out what it is when I speak to them later and update.

For info mine is build week 42 or 43.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts