Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've still got a couple of months or more till my SEL arrives. I'm a big music fan and, after reading in this thread

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=846#p7382

which references the manual I have started re-ripping my CD's as FLAC files in preparation.

I'm now wondering whether FLAC support is only on Discover Pro? I've just got the standard system that comes in the SEL although I have gone for Dynaudio.

So does the standard SEL media system cope with FLAC on the SD card?

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have an SEL with the Discover Media system. I have ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC quality 8 using EZ CD Audio Converter.
I can confirm that they play very well from an SD card or a USB stick in the centre console. The only limitation seems to be the number of songs it can cope with. The limit appears to be 1000 from each source.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Niggly58,

I appreciate the confirmation and I'll carry on re-ripping :)

I've read conflicting info on the 1000 file limit. Some saying that's the case, others saying that it's 1000 items per folder. So if you do a folder per artist then nested folders in them for each album you'll be ok.

It seems nuts that it'll support 128 (and apparently 256g) cards but has trouble with over 1000 songs

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
No problem.
I haven't tested it exactly- but I have approx 250 albums- each with around 8 tracks (approx). They were arranged as a folder per album- each containing the tracks and album artwork. I put half the albums on a 64gb SD card and half on a 128gb usb stick. The SD card I put in SD1 slot and the Navigation maps in SD2. I was able to select the SD1 or USB media as a source through the Discover system. So far it appears fine.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Is there an extreme noticeable difference on the Discover Media (not Pro) between FLAC and high quality 128 or 256 bit MP3's?

The only reason why I ask is that all my CDs are in the attic and I no longer have a CD reader on this laptop - if it is hugely better quality then I may consider getting it all out and my old laptop back out...but I have to admit I don't notice much degradation in my mp3's.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Bhuna- only your ears can be the judge of that.
As an ex Hi-Fi nut, I wanted the best possibly quality whilst maintaining a reasonable file size. FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) as shown by it's name, loses little in conversion. MP3 on the other hand, loses lots of background detail in it's efforts to minimise the file size. Saying that- a lot of people today have become used to the quality of MP3s and don't need anything more. The proof is in your own ears...

·
Registered
627 Posts
I might look at converting or downloading flacs for some of my albums and seeing.

Must admit a lot of the time, I have radio on in the car for sport etc but always nice to listen to something when everyone else asleep and no decent sport events on.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
....but does FLAC sound as good as the CD player?
I think I might do some experimenting too!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeh lossless should be as good

·
Registered
627 Posts
Might have to consider buying myself a 256gb SD card then...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My 250 albums at highest quality FLAC occupies around 65gb.
Bearing in mind the 1000 file limit I split that over two memory cards.
Therefore, you could use a number of 64gb cards and fill them to satisfy the 1000 file limit.
Obviously, it would be a pain to keep changing them, but I don't know of another way around the file number limitation of the system.

·
Registered
627 Posts
niggly - is that 1000 files per card, or per folder? There has been much confusion over this from various posters - some saying its 1000 files per SD card, others saying that if you put it in folders then its 1000 per folder...

Also out of interest, can I put the album art in there and would that then come up on the screen?

So much prep to do....3 sleeps to go.... :D :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I can only speak from experience.
Originally I ripped my CD collection to FLAC. There were approx 250 albums totalling around 65gb. They were ripped to individual folders per album, each containing a jpg of the album art. I put them on a 128gb usb stick and put it in the centre usb socket. I was able to scroll through the album covers and select an album and individual tracks. I realised I couldn't see all the covers. This was when I came across the 1000 file limitation. In an attempt to overcome this, I split my collection across an SD card and the USB stick. I estimated there were less than 1000 songs per memory card. I haven't thoroughly tested it, but it appears that by selecting the media source through the system I am able to see all the albums on both the cards- just not all at once!

·
Registered
627 Posts
niggly58 said:
I can only speak from experience.
Originally I ripped my CD collection to FLAC. There were approx 250 albums totalling around 65gb. They were ripped to individual folders per album, each containing a jpg of the album art. I put them on a 128gb usb stick and put it in the centre usb socket. I was able to scroll through the album covers and select an album and individual tracks. I realised I couldn't see all the covers. This was when I came across the 1000 file limitation. In an attempt to overcome this, I split my collection across an SD card and the USB stick. I estimated there were less than 1000 songs per memory card. I haven't thoroughly tested it, but it appears that by selecting the media source through the system I am able to see all the albums on both the cards- just not all at once!
OK thanks - so that sounds like even if split into folders, there is still a 1000 element (files and folders) limit.

I will wait and see - I have over 3 thousand files so will have to probably select what I want onto an SD card

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I guess it's a memory issue within the system. It can only read and index a certain number of items.
Doing some lateral thinking, I am wondering if there is a way- possibly using a usb hard drive with separate partitions. In each partition you have less than 1000 song files. Only problem might be in the system recognising the partitions and being able to select them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm only going to use SD card - I want the USB slot for other things.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
A usb hub is a possibility in that case.
I might have a play if I can rustle up some hardware!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Nah don't worry - I will make myself a couple of SD cards up - then depending on the mood I'm in it will depend on the SD card I put in :D :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
No problem.
I just need to satisfy my own curiosity and see if it can be done.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts