Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has been mentioned a couple of times in posts - about VW skimping and only doing halogen fog lamps.

Went out tonight and had a look - they really don't look good in combo with LEDs.

In the manual it shows how to change them - which looks a little daunting - pulling off part of the front grill - but my question was more if anyone had identified a decent replacement LED lamp?

If you have - pls post the link.

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You're right 'JonP'........that much of an embarrassment :oops: :oops: I won't bother using the front ones :cry:

·
Registered
352 Posts
stumpy said:
I won't bother using the front ones :cry:
As they act as cornering lights as well you probably use them everyday ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
SlimPollack said:
stumpy said:
;) True.... :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Winrya said:
SlimPollack said:
stumpy said:
Cornering lights are in the headlights on the led headlights thankfully
Happy about that here as well. Would have been gawdy if the halogen fog lamps came on every time you turned. Happy I got the LED lights.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Winrya said:
SlimPollack said:
stumpy said:
Cornering lights are in the headlights on the led headlights thankfully
Do not confuse dynamic LED curve lighting with cornering lights.

Below is SEL specs description from VW UK website that clearly distinguish between those two

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Multimedia

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone know about replacing the fog lights though??? :D ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
JonP said:
Anyone know about replacing the fog lights though??? :D ;)
On my list :cool: .......so is the incandescent boot courtesy light and the glovebox light! ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried replacing the boot light with something more appropriate but, after trying various angles of leverage and the cover not wanting to give up its hold, decided to hang fire for now for fear of something breaking! Did the one in my previous Golf MK 7 no problem but this one is proving to be more stubborn!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cornering lights are in the headlights on the led headlights thankfully[/quote]

Do not confuse dynamic LED curve lighting with cornering lights.

Below is SEL specs description from VW UK website that clearly distinguish between those two

View attachment 631 [/quote]

Well the wife followed me for 30 mins yesterday in the Tiguan as we were taking her car for service and the fog lights never activate as cornering lights. The inside of each headlight I could see was lighting up whenever we turned at low speed or she indicated. I think there must some incorrrct info on the website similar to the x2 usb issue.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I happened to meet my wife in the centre of the hague the other day - her in the tig and me on the bike. (bicycle)...when she was turning in the car - the fog light did come on as the wheel was turned and went off as she straightened the wheel up....they didn't swivel or have any movement - and it looked a bit odd to be honest - one fog light on ( and halogen at that).

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
The Static Cornering Lights (fog lamps), are designed to operate at speeds under 25mph to aid manoeuvrability, whereas the Dynamic Curve Lighting (headlamps) will operate at speeds above 6mph.
I only realised in the dark the other evening is that whilst reversing both the left and right Cornering Lights operate together.

Steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
Regarding the replacement bulb does anybody actually know the type of bulb?

Usually fog lights are of type HB3 or HB4.

You can easily get led replacements e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-HB4-27-SMD-LED-ULTRA-BRIGHT-White-CANBUS-Car-Bulb-Fog-Light-DRL-12V-9006-UK-/252432445731?hash=item3ac6257123:g:fiYAAOSwGIRXaVUb as long as you make sure they are CANBUS specific as to stop flickering and 'blown bulb' warnings.

I will when I get a chance have a look at the bulb type in the RLine (maybe this weekend if the weather improves).

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm pretty sure led fog lights are legal because my golf gti came with them from the factory.

However what I would say is that I actually really struggled with the led fog light on the golf, when driving in foggy conditions. It seemed to reflect intensely and made driving visibility really poor. So be careful.

I definitely prefer the look of the led light, but if using the fog light for the purpose they were designed for then the halogen, yellowish aspect of the light does ' cut through' the fog better.

Obviously nowadays manufacturers use the fog light as a cornering light as well, so it's a balance between what looks best and works better in the different situations.

It's just that from my own experience I prefer the fog light to be halogen for foggy conditions, even though I do appreciate they don't look as nice when cornering.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Axel said:
...I prefer the fog light to be halogen for foggy conditions.
I'll stay with halogen also.
Just met a BMW X6 with yellowish cornering lights. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello bought led boot light from ebay in 2015 for previous tiguan - took out before I traded in - fits perfect in new Tiguan (picked up yesterday) very easy to swap out - used small screwdriver to ease out the fitted one - led was snug fit - but difference is great...just had look on ebay and seems loads available (£13-15)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Surely there must be quite a few of us on here that would remember that when fog lights were "invented" (back in the 70's wasn't it?) They were all yellow?
And they sold us that as a major benefit?

:D

Because I can't find the emoticon for sceptical!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts