Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have noticed some constant vibrations through the pedal when your foot is down on the initial part of the clutch, when I am say parked at traffic lights and purposely press and hold that initial clutch part (sorry, I don't know the terminology). Do you guys have the same? The part of the clutch before there is significant resistance (the main part).

I thought previously that any such vibrations meant that the clutch was faulty or on its way out...

Even though I have a new car (lease) it still is not true trouble free motoring with a manual car as you are only covered by 6000miles/6 months for the clutch... . That is why I will go for an auto next time as correct me if I am wrong but the whole auto system is covered by warranty on a DSG.

A clutch should not go however for like 100k miles plus really...

Thanks all!

·
Registered
463 Posts
My 2012 manual tdi had a noticable clutch vibe when holding rpd at 1500 and depressing the pedal an inch. I made enqiuiries but was told it was normal. It did decrease slightly with increased mileage and I traded the car at 2 years old with no other clutch problems.

Maybe a DMF peculiarity.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Can you not feel any vibration now at all or is it likely different in your petrol to a diesel? I would imagine so...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mines a Mk2 DSG so not an issue. I had a DMF replaced on a previous CRV for same reason.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah completely missed the DSG part of your sig.! How many miles on the CRV before changing? I have only done 1k!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
About 3k.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

No one else? Poor response lol!

Is this something to Contact Driverline about or direct to dealer?

·
Registered
463 Posts
PWVWT2017 said:
Thanks.

No one else? Poor response lol!

Is this something to Contact Driverline about or direct to dealer?
Go back to dealer and complain. Ask to test drive another new one. If the other is ok there's a fault on yours.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Echo the same experience as Beagler in a 2013 Audi A4 Avant I owned from new.......replacement DMF and clutch but still the vibration existed. Dealer said it was a "normal characteristic" which I did not agree.......sold the car 12 months later.

Must be a common trait in VAG cars!

·
Registered
238 Posts
As Beagler, above.

Take it back, get fault/complaint logged. If nothing else this should help to protect you at lease end?

Try another new demo if poss, and compare with that.

My tig is dsg, but have experince of dmf and clutch issues with golfs. Sounds like maybe a dmf issue to me?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Bit of a wierd one as DMF covered by warranty for 3 years anyway and although it is a 2 year lease I treat it as if it was my own for a long long time.

I will take it in and get them to check it out and ask for logging and to either put in wriring or let me drive a different car to observe whether same happens.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, they said nothing is wrong at all.. obviously. He said the vibrating that I am feeling on the initial free plate part of the clutch is just the engine ticking over and tried several times and found no issue.

I am VERY wary with dealers after what I went through with Audi.

Also, the technician I saw said the new Tiguan has a single mass flywheel rather than dual. I am sure its a DMF... which will be worrying if he got that wrong.

He said they changed it due to the issues they were having I think with the DMF. He said single mass flywheel would pose fewer problems.

If he has got that wrong that is a 40odd year old technician at a main VW dealership.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I find that very hard to believe. DMF cause a lot of problems, that is true but the main reason is because they are not made as well as they could be. I've had 3 brand new SACHS flywheels sat in front of me on a desk and each had different levels of radial (slack before the springs take up tension) and axial/rock movement (movement lifting up from the surface).

A modern diesel engine with a lot of low down torque/bangs needs a DMF to cushion the inherent knock and protect the gearbox, and aid refinement.

·
Registered
627 Posts
PWVWT2017 said:
OK, they said nothing is wrong at all.. obviously. He said the vibrating that I am feeling on the initial free plate part of the clutch is just the engine ticking over and tried several times and found no issue.

I am VERY wary with dealers after what I went through with Audi.

Also, the technician I saw said the new Tiguan has a single mass flywheel rather than dual. I am sure its a DMF... which will be worrying if he got that wrong.

He said they changed it due to the issues they were having I think with the DMF. He said single mass flywheel would pose fewer problems.

If he has got that wrong that is a 40odd year old technician at a main VW dealership.
Did you get any printed / signed confirmation that nothing is wrong? or any evidence to show that you took the car there expressing your concerns?

I would also suggest going to a second VW dealer (if you are lucky enough to have another nearby) for a second opinion / see what they say about it - again get evidence of this visit - then if anything does go wrong later on down the line or just outside of your warranty (if that is near) then you have an element of argument there to say you pointed this out twice to two different dealers whilst it was in warranty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, I assume it is 3 years for DMF warranty?

I didn't get any evidence this time round but have since confirmed with a contact at Driverline that it is a DMF not a SMF of course.

I will take it back to same dealer and insist on an actual appointment.

Can you guys do me a huge favour? Please press down on the initial part of the clutch, the free part and hold your foot there? I feel the rumbling of what seems in tune with the engine ticking over through the clutch pedal. But then when you push through the more resistant part of the clutch there is no vibrating whatsoever. When you foot is all the way down similarly no vibrating whatsoever.

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts