Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently a t-roc 1.0 owner ordered a Tiguan 1.5 150 petrol life model.
I have noticed the new petrol e10 unleaded is not lasting long I’m buying more.
Is the Tiguan a thirsty car ?. I’m now thinking should I change it to a diesel model even though I don’t do many miles.
Can’t afford an electric one just now though but I think the government are pushing us that way.
My new Tiguan will be in pcp for the first time built next March! So they said at the time of ordering.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sales of diesels are falling quite rapidly now and then there is the problem of the DPF - not recommended if you only do short distances. Which is a shame as diesel is so much more economical. Second-hand prices may, therefore, drop more than petrol. Electric cars are indeed still too expensive so for me I opted for petrol.

E10 petrol being less economical is a cause for concern though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the 1.5 150 engine and use either shell or sainsburys unleaded, however what with the fuel prices go through the roof, I have started using sainsburys super unleaded which is E5 and although it costs more it still costs the same as Shell’s std unleaded and have noticed the difference in mileage as car is getting back to pre E10 mileage.

Reactions: adamcovfan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So super unleaded is the one to buy then if you can get it. I was surprised how quickly the gauge has fallen in a week. Is there a smaller engine or should I choose the 130 bhp instead would that be more economical?. My t- roc is 1.0 litre 105 bhp which is a small engine for the size I guess.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wouldn’t say it’s the way to go, but as I only use Shell and Sainsburys and shell’s unleaded is now the same as sainsburys super and I have noticed the difference then I am happy to use.

With regards to the engine that is your own choice, whilst I do the mileage to warrant a diesel, I am happy with the 1.5 150 petrol, obviously I would like more power but adding options rather than paying extra for the 2.0 190 was my choice and the 150 is more than adequate even on long trips fully loaded.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which engine would be the most economical based on 5 k annual mileage just work and back and shopping trips at the weekend never fully loaded.
Edit just looked I only have two options the 130 bhp or the 150 bhp which I selected.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The official stats will tell you that the 130 is more economical, but that is a manual gearbox and although our second car is a manual I haven’t purchased our main car without an auto box for over 15 years.
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the 2.0 litre petrol and mostly use Shell unleaded. Fuel economy of VW's 2.0 litre petrol engine isn't great to start with but I have not seen any noticeable fall in fuel economy or power by switching to e10 fuel. I have used super-unleaded in the past and didn't notice any real difference then either between that and e5 unleaded. Perhaps I should try super-unleaded again and see now if there is a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve just noticed my dealership has a
1.4 TSI 125 SE Nav 5dr 2018 plate for sale I’m wondering wether to make an enquiry on it 23k or wait for the new one I ordered. Is this model any good?.

·
Registered
22 Posts
im the opposite with my current car ( a seat arona) and E10 , its hard to judge mind you as im mostly working from home and not doing the same millage as before but i seem to be getting more miles with e10 in the past i was empty after 350 miles with my first e10 fill 220 and i was at half way , so will be interesting to see what i get from it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The think blue trainer on the car is saying about 38 mpg driving it slow to work this morning about 4 miles each way just my gauge is dropping more quickly than the last tank full of E5 . Can’t smell petrol anywhere

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think you will find that the 130 may be a bit underpowered in the Tiguan
The 1.4 150bhp or 1.5 150bhp would be a better choice

The Tiguan is a big beast by weight so fuel economy won’t be a good but in a T-Roc the consumption would be better

WRT fuel, I use E10 with Millers Petrol additive and acheive approx 26-27 mpg around town and 34-36 on a run but mine is a 230 bhp petrol

·
Registered
408 Posts
Problem with the diesel burner is you would have to do a run every so often to clean the dpf
This means a constant speed at approx 2000-2500 rpm up the motorway until the light on the dash goes out
I considered this when I was buying my new Tig, but the loan car I was given, didn’t achieve much more wrt mpg around town. I was better on a run and I only do approx 6000 miles a year, so the cost of diesel to petrol I’m my case was the same and it’s one less dpf I have to worry about

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m in the same conundrum then I don’t mind doing a blow out run on a diesel used to do it on my very old golf second car back in early 2005 onwards puff of smoke down the for the mot it would pass.
But I don’t want to be putting loads of petrol in the Tiguan if this t- roc is anything to go by.
Done a google search E10 fuel its a big government con if you ask me but there’s loads out there saying how much quicker the fuel goes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have noticed less MPG from E10 in my 1.5 DSG petrol. I've taken JBS2472's advice and done a half fill of E5, so I'll see if there is any improvement with the E7.5 ;)

What I would say is this, a T-Roc with the lesser powered 105bhp 3 cylider 998cc engine will drink fuel. It's a big car, you should at least have the 113bhp engine.

I was also in a quandary over which to buy, petrol or diesel, when I bought mine. I only do a commute of 26 miles round trip, 5 days a week, odd runs out at the weekend. I was advised by people I trust that petrol would be a better bet for me due to the DPF issues.

What I would say is, if MPG is a diciding factor in buying your next car, get an Up! You cannot have a vehicle the size of a Tiguan and expect 50 - 60 MPG, no matter what fuel. They are big, heavy cars and as such, will use fuel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The hybrid is out my price range unless I get a used RAV4.
wife has an up car.
We need a bigger one well I’ve always wanted the 4x4 look tbh and now I’m in a position to get one.
So am I right in thinking the bigger car the 1.5 150 bhp might actually be better than the t- roc 1.0 for fuel consumption?.
I have read that smaller engine will be worse off on the new fuel. I just have to buy super unleaded E5

1 - 20 of 85 Posts