Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
If I was to go down the diesel route doing only ten miles a day in the week then a bit more at the weekend how often would the regen take place and are the mpg what they claim.
Regens usually occur every 500 miles or so but it does depend on the type of journeys and how clogged the DPF gets and whether a passive regen has occured in the meantime.

Reactions: adamcovfan

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks and what is the mpg like on the 2.0 tdi 150
My old Passat 140TDI used to do 800 to 900 miles between refills during the summer months - it has a 70 litre tank.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I noticed your order is for the 1.5 150 petrol not a diesel is that cost and possibly re sale value.
Several reasons really. I'm now semi-retired so don't do a lot of miles so diesels with a DPF are no longer suitable for me (and they cost more than petrol) and EVs are too expensive and not practical, so it had to be petrol. Anyway, sales of diesels are falling so I think their days are numbered. I thought about a PHEV but again too expensive and a 6-hour charge only gives you about 20 miles so the petrol engine would end up lugging the battery around. Maybe in 6-8 years time I'll look again at EVs - who knows?
Hopefully the 150 petrol engine will be more economical than the 130 as I drive with a light foot but I've never owned a Tiguan before so I will wait and see how it goes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yes lots to take into consideration get a diesel five years time maybe no one wants them you stuck with it. electric far too expensive and still early days. my daily commute is a ten mile round trip then a few at the weekends.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
My 2010 Passat has the DPF and is a PITA. The regeneration process happens every 500 miles or so and unless it regularly has a long run I have to take it purposely up and down the dual carriageway for about 20 minutes at 40-50 mph without stopping or slowing down just to burn off the damn soot. Okay, for a diesel the exhaust tip is spotlessly clean - just water dribbles out - unlike the older diesels which are black with soot. What annoys me most though is when I get home after a long run sometimes that is exactly when the regeneration starts! That means going back out on the road to finish the process as you must not switch off the engine mid way because the excess fuel gets dumped in the sump.
Thats why its a waste of fuel doing a run to to TRY to clean the DPF, it cleans when required and if you do interup a burn it will just continue with it next time you use the car.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It can't continue to work when you've switched off but it may have already completed the process and the fans will continue to run until the engine has cooled down. If you were to switch off when the regen starts the additional fuel being used to spin the turbo up to the required temperature will get dumped into the sump thus diluting the oil.

If you do that too many times it could destroy the car as this video shows (maybe extreme but it can happen):

That can only happen if you never check your oil level, I check mine weekly and see no oil rise even though I've interupted over a dozen regens, yesterday being the last time.

It was a problem with a cx-5 on both diesels I had, but only if you allowed the oil level to rise too much, with my low mileage it was never an issue.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thats why its a waste of fuel doing a run to to TRY to clean the DPF, it cleans when required and if you do interup a burn it will just continue with it next time you use the car.
And that's why the DPF regeneration process is stupid - much better if the driver can instigate the process when it is convenient so that after having been given a warning light that it needs to be done within a certain number of miles he can just press a button and keep on driving. There are numerous warnings about not interupting the process so whilst it may well continue when you next use the car any previous extra fuel used to spin the turbo may have been dumped in the sump.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That can only happen if you never check your oil level, I check mine weekly and see no oil rise even though I've interupted over a dozen regens, yesterday being the last time.

It was a problem with a cx-5 on both diesels I had, but only if you allowed the oil level to rise too much, with my low mileage it was never an issue.
Ah yes, I do check my oil level but not everyone does.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've never heard of any engine being able to run a regen of the filter with the engine shut off. Okay, from experience I can only refer to my 2010 Passat 140TDI but as I previously explained, only the fans continue to run after switching off the engine simply to cool it down and indeed, there is usually a burning smell but by then it is probably completed. The warnings are clear though, in that you must not switch off until the process has been completed - when stationary the revs will be 1000 or more. So, what exactly does it say in the manual with regard to the newer VWs?
12 years is a long time with engine technology, the early systems could have issues, early xtrail diesels with DPF being one, but only on years before 2009, not a single issue with my 2009 DPF model.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
And that's why the DPF regeneration process is stupid - much better if the driver can instigate the process when it is convenient so that after having been given a warning light that it needs to be done within a certain number of miles he can just press a button and keep on driving. There are numerous warnings about not interupting the process so whilst it may well continue when you next use the car any previous extra fuel used to spin the turbo may have been dumped in the sump.
Never had a warning light come up on my Dash. It just gets on with it, no warning about interrupting or anything.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I’m still on the fence I like the idea of diesel economy but only doing 10 miles round trips wether it will cause problems with dpf.
Most of my trips are less than 3 miles. An economy is pants like that too 25mpg if i'm lucky.
On a good run though, it's nudging 50
As I stated above, with a modern Diesel I really don't think there's much to worry about.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If I was to go down the diesel route doing only ten miles a day in the week then a bit more at the weekend how often would the regen take place and are the mpg what they claim.
It depends which model you get a 148bhp (150ps) diesel with no 4x4 and manual in a low trim with no extras will always be the most economical.

I have a 190ps (187bhp) because I tow a caravan, but driving economically going fishing on my weekly run of 12 miles will often see 44 to 48 mpg going early hours with little traffic, coming back in rush hour it drops depending on traffic to low 30's to high 30's.

I recon my SEL at 1755kg costs me fuel and performance, with around 3mpg for the 4x4 and maybe a little for the auto.
The time period for a DPF clean depends on your useage, same for Adblue consumption.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Never had a warning light come up on my Dash. It just gets on with it, no warning about interrupting or anything.
I've never had a warning light but that isn't what I meant. I believe the warning light means the filter is blocked and you need to do a regen immediately or it may be too late and need to go to the workshop. What I meant was that if you know there needs to be a regen within say the next 20 miles it may be more convenient to do it whilst still on the motorway and not just when you get back home - that is what annoys me about the DPF especially knowing how it could dilute the oil with diesel by switching the engine off too soon.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I've never had a warning light but that isn't what I meant. I believe the warning light means the filter is blocked and you need to do a regen immediately or it may be too late and need to go to the workshop. What I meant was that if you know there needs to be a regen within say the next 20 miles it may be more convenient to do it whilst still on the motorway and not just when you get back home - that is what annoys me about the DPF especially knowing how it could dilute the oil with diesel by switching the engine off too soon.
I don't even recall a light telling me it's doing a DPF - it just gets on with it. Can't be more convenient IMO
I think we're talking apples and oranges though in terms of tech from a 2010 passat to a 2020 Tig

41 - 60 of 85 Posts