Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic will have been discussed with members before perhaps so apologies if it has.

Now I'm not one to particularly bother about what fuel I put in my Tiggy if I'm brutally honest, for me if it's cheap and it gets me from A to B then I'm happy.

That is until recently when I've filled up a couple of full tanks with Morrisons Diesel. Tiggy really seems to have not enjoyed it-so much as MPG has been really poor on a mixture of both town and motorway driving. Now I thought initially it was perhaps just a 'bad' batch of fuel, but second time round (yes I perhaps should have learned first time round!) Tiggy still seems to be sluggish, I've even put her in Sport mode and she still doesn't really perform any better. Psychological I thought but now I definitely think it's down to fuel quality. I've put other 'branded' fuels in and she drives much better.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts. Yes I've done my research and all UK fuels should conform to the required standards...but do they really...and I guess the extra goodies they add to the mixture plays a significant part in fuel performance...let me know your thoughts&#x1f44d-1f3fb;

Hope you are all having a good Bank Holiday weekend!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I posted a topic about Shell Nitro diesel recently.
All the time we owned our previous car, a Citroen C4 Picasso diesel, I used the Shell fuel. The car seemed to run better, tickover smoother and the mpg was improved. The increased cost of the fuel seemed a small price to pay for the improvements.
Having had our Tiguan for a month now, I have filled the tank twice with the Shell Nitro diesel. The last tank averaged 45mpg. As an example we have just returned today from a trip to visit Ealing in London from Portsmouth and the car showed 57mpg both ways.
In my experience I would say it is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
For many years now I have always used 'Premium' fuel from Esso, BP, Shell, Texaco etc, and now and again the next one up to give her a treat like I did in the 70's ie 4**** & then now & again 5***** I don't use supermarkets or motorway service stations, if I can help it. Yes it is priced a bit more but I don't do very high mileages these days being retired. Have a good long weekend also JRSTIGSEL :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys for the input guys, I guess there's little to be said when it comes to paying that little bit more for a branded fuel. I remember years ago speaking to a friends dad who worked in the fuel industry and he said, and I quote 'don't use supermarket fuel as its floatation fuel and it won't do your motor any good'. Apparently the supermarkets buy the fuel the branded companies don't want so it's a mixture of a number of different fuels which is apparently the 'dregs' of the batch...I guess there's an element of truth in this-unless any of you guys know any different? I always used to run my MK7 Golf GTi Performance on Shell super unleaded and it ran like an absolute dream... the proof is in the pudding I guess. I really have definitely noticed a distinct lack of performance with the supermarket fuel and I've since found out that Morrisons fuel has a high concentration of Bio Diesel in its mix which isn't good at all for the engine I'm told as the new gen Diesel engines aren't geared up for using it...not sure how true this is?

Best wishes all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
JRSTIGSEL said:
Cheers guys for the input guys, I guess there's little to be said when it comes to paying that little bit more for a branded fuel. I remember years ago speaking to a friends dad who worked in the fuel industry and he said, and I quote 'don't use supermarket fuel as its floatation fuel and it won't do your motor any good'. Apparently the supermarkets buy the fuel the branded companies don't want so it's a mixture of a number of different fuels which is apparently the 'dregs' of the batch...I guess there's an element of truth in this-unless any of you guys know any different? I always used to run my MK7 Golf GTi Performance on Shell super unleaded and it ran like an absolute dream... the proof is in the pudding I guess. I really have definitely noticed a distinct lack of performance with the supermarket fuel and I've since found out that Morrisons fuel has a high concentration of Bio Diesel in its mix which isn't good at all for the engine I'm told as the new gen Diesel engines aren't geared up for using it...not sure how true this is?

Best wishes all.
Bio diesel is definitely not recommended for VW diesels !

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Malcm59 said:
JRSTIGSEL said:

Best wishes all.
Bio diesel is definitely not recommended for VW diesels !
Don't suppose any body know's if there is a certain percentage of Bio Diesel in Morrisons fuel ?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Interestly on page 311 it states diesel only for Diesel engines petrol, fuel oil and other unsuitable fuels may not be used :?
But as the adblue is injected direct into the exhaust why not put petrol into the adblue tank, that way you'll get flames out the exhaust pipe :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Miket said:
Interestly on page 311 it states diesel only for Diesel engines petrol, fuel oil and other unsuitable fuels may not be used :?
But as the adblue is injected direct into the exhaust why not put petrol into the adblue tank, that way you'll get flames out the exhaust pipe :twisted: :twisted:
Like reheat for fast jets. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts